Has anyone worked as a hotel maid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Has anyone worked as a hotel maid?
I may very possibly get hired at a five star hotel and I need to hand in my resume tomorrow morning.

The money is really good but I have no idea what it takes. I was told I will have to choose whether I want to be a maid or do the ironing and then state on which shift I'd prefer to work. I will only have one day off every month, but this is a huge opportunity for me and I can't risk losing it or doing anything wrong.

So, has anyone ever done this? Does anyone know about the job in general? I'm sure hotels don't work in the exact same way everywhere, but I guess a five star hotel must have some standards.
How about shifts? I'm told the night shift is hard, but it pays more. Any experience in that?

Any word of advice is welcome.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
04-03-2015, 10:14 AM
RE: Has anyone worked as a hotel maid?
a friend of mine does, not for a 5 star but just a typical, mid range chain that you find everywhere in the US.

She started cleaning rooms, she was surprised at the extensive training, apparently there is a particlar way to clean a bathroom and make beds. I am sure they have probably got it streamlined for effiency. She liked it because it worked well with her kids schedules (they are young in school). She had to be in before 9am and got anywhere from 10-18 rooms to clean everyday. She could leave when they were done. Her goal was to be out by 2pm to get the kids afterschool.

She was surprised at the stuff she would find in rooms. I must be boring, I just watch tv and sleep but others are doing drugs, having affairs, having parties, all sorts of weird stuff in the way of fetishes, gross stuff. One room had like 30 used condoms, it was only 1 night ?? And people have a problem putting their poo in the potty.

She moved to the laundry area eventually, not sure why. And now is working someplace different.

She would get mad when others would call off because they would add that persons rooms to her list and screw up childcare arrangements, etc.

She kept a different pair of shoes, and separate clothes for work because she didnt want to bring any germs from all those people into her house. She kept the work clothes and shoes in the trunk of her car and would change before and after each shift at work.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-03-2015, 10:22 AM
I personally would choose rooms over ironing. I don't do heat well and in the rooms you can crank up the air conditioning while you are in there. And I like to move and walk around, not be stuck in one spot.

I would also choose early morning or daylight shift, or an eveing shift. Having done shift work in the past, midnight is boring, its hard to sleep during the day, the rest if the world is always opposite of you. I have also read that night shift over time can screw with your health.

I used to work 3pm-11pm. It was a great shift for going to the bar. and being a nightowl with friends. Smile

But if you want to get production out of your day- early morning and day shift.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Consider
undergroundp ... a hotel maid ...

I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight.

Blush

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Never worked in one but stayed in so many that I don't care to ever see the inside of a Hotel room ever again.

I used to tip the maids well and get extra chocolates on my pillow! Tongue

At a 5 star you should get some good tips as maid. Laundry - not so much.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2015, 11:07 AM
(04-03-2015 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  I used to tip the maids well and get extra chocolates on my pillow! Tongue

That's corruption! Gasp

I hope it was dark chocolate. Yum.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
04-03-2015, 11:17 AM
If you don't handle late nights welll the overnight shift may be problematic for you.

If the ironing is done in the laundry area I would expect a lot of nosie from machinery and as Bows mentioned it may be a very warm environment.

Do maids normally get tipped in Greece? If so, you get some extra income there.

Good luck!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-03-2015, 11:38 AM
That sounds like a great opportunity! Pay would be pretty consistent and in a 5 star... you never know who you might run into. Thumbsup

Personally, I don't think I'd do the ironing thing - too monotonous - more variety with the cleaning & customer service that a maid provides.

Good luck UndergroundP - you'll learn quite a few new skills and its a chance to perfect the art of the schmooze... a desirable skill itself.

I encourage you in this .... its a job skill necessary in any town in the world; you can go global right where you live!

Go lady - get that paycheck! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
04-03-2015, 11:55 AM
I just got a job at a regular hotel chain as a room attendant.. same thing as a maid I guess. I used to do my work experience in a 4 star (it's not 5 star because of a lack of sport facilities and leisure, apart from that the rooms and bars etc are equivalent of 5 star) and I absolutely hate /d it. We have 27 minutes for each room, shifts from 9am/1pm or 10am/4pm and it's actually quite challenging. I'm currently in training phase and it takes me about an hour a room.

At the 4 star hotel I used to go to, they did turn ins at night time for guests. So if you get a night shift at a hotel as a housekeeper beware because some guests ask you to make them hot chocolate and tuck them in etc, I've been told of some even requesting bed time stories hahaha.

The upside is that after a couple months almost everybody drops a few pound of fat because of the constant movement Tongue

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
04-03-2015, 05:34 PM
I have, but it was in a very small town hotel, so my experience will likely be different from yours. We just had a crew of maybe five or six women, we got to pick which days we wanted to work, and there was just one morning shift. You got to leave whenever you were done cleaning the rooms. I absolutely fricking loved it! It's so weird too, because I hate to clean. But man... Just going room to room, stripping/making beads, replacing towels, cleaning up. It was great. A good workout too. I would have kept that job forever if it paid anything decent.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta