Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?
I feel its a valuable trait to know when you are wrong, and concede. And, although very unlikely, if God were proven to exist, most here who had claimed otherwise, would admit they were wrong.

Now, I just saw Heywood Jebusblome claim that he would concede if God were proven not to exist. I'm just wondering if its even possible to prove something doesn't exist. Even if the method is out of our grasp, how COULD it be done?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
RE: Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?
(07-03-2013 04:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I feel its a valuable trait to know when you are wrong, and concede. And, although very unlikely, if God were proven to exist, most here who had claimed otherwise, would admit they were wrong.

Now, I just saw Heywood Jebusblome claim that he would concede if God were proven not to exist. I'm just wondering if its even possible to prove something doesn't exist. Even if the method is out of our grasp, how COULD it be done?
I can prove that my visible third nostril doesn't exist.
I can't, however, prove that my invisible sixth testicle doesn't exist. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
How is it out of your grasp? You can have a test for STDs and prove you don't have one. You can have a urine test for the absence of drugs in your system, etc. - the whole "you can't prove a negative" is meant practically to give relief to the accused in trials and has been completely misappropriated by your freethinkers' culture to say something that is well... silly, IMHO.
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
(07-03-2013 04:48 PM)frankiej Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 04:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I feel its a valuable trait to know when you are wrong, and concede. And, although very unlikely, if God were proven to exist, most here who had claimed otherwise, would admit they were wrong.

I can prove that my visible third nostril doesn't exist.

Maybe your visible third nostril has departed your nose, and ascended to be with the angles in the sky. Do you still have proof is doesn't exist?

(yes angles, I don't believe in angels)
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
(07-03-2013 04:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How is it out of your grasp? You can have a test for STDs and prove you don't have one. You can have a urine test for the absence of drugs in your system, etc. - the whole "you can't prove a negative" is meant practically to give relief to the accused in trials and has been completely misappropriated by your freethinkers' culture to say something that is well... silly, IMHO.

I can prove I don't have an STI, but can I prove said STI doesn't exist at all?
07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
(07-03-2013 04:55 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 04:48 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I can prove that my visible third nostril doesn't exist.

Maybe your visible third nostril has departed your nose, and ascended to be with the angles in the sky. Do you still have proof is doesn't exist?

(yes angles, I don't believe in angels)
Okay, you win. I cannot prove that it doesn't exist.

[Image: opforum1.png]
07-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't believe that you can prove something doesn't exist anywhere. You can only prove it doesn't exist in specific areas.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Aha, I thought so...

Sad
07-03-2013, 05:27 PM
It's widely accepted as axiomatic that you can't prove a negative because one could always posit conditions under which something could exist but be undetectable. That's why skepticism is so important -- we'd be credulous fools who bought into any claim, no matter how silly or unverified, if we didn't practice skepticism. "Sure, I'll buy that mansion in Alaska that you've shown me no evidence for. Do you take VISA?"

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
(07-03-2013 04:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How is it out of your grasp? You can have a test for STDs and prove you don't have one. You can have a urine test for the absence of drugs in your system, etc. - the whole "you can't prove a negative" is meant practically to give relief to the accused in trials and has been completely misappropriated by your freethinkers' culture to say something that is well... silly, IMHO.
So... you accept the evidence of tests as proof? Interesting. Do you believe that prayer can be tested? If it shows up negative, do you believe that proves that you don't have a God? Or do you believe (as we do) that tests are only good evidence but can be demonstrated to be faulty?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user