Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 08:08 AM
RE: Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?
(08-03-2013 08:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Which, by the way, is what most atheists do regarding god; we claim we have not found evidence for god and therefore do not accept that he is likely to exist.
Define likely, please. This sounds like a belief claim to me. Since you state that we cannot prove a negative, only that we haven't found something, why wouldn't all Atheists be Agnostics?
Well, a lot of atheists are agnostic, in fact, probably most... I am. I guess you've never heard of an agnostic atheist. You should get out more.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
08-03-2013, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 08:32 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 08:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Define likely, please.

It's traditionally defined as +/- 2 standard deviations from the mean which covers 95% of the observations.

(08-03-2013 08:08 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 08:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Define likely, please. This sounds like a belief claim to me. Since you state that we cannot prove a negative, only that we haven't found something, why wouldn't all Atheists be Agnostics?
Well, a lot of atheists are agnostic, in fact, probably most... I am. I guess you've never heard of an agnostic atheist. You should get out more.

Only reason I call myself an atheist is it cuts short any further discourse with metaphysical retards. I sure as hell ain't gonna tell a fundie evangelist I'm an agnostic just so I can listen to more of their drivel as they try to convert me. Only encourages their proselytizing.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Oh, no, I have heard all this! I just think you need to change the site name to The Thinking Agnostic and be honest...
08-03-2013, 08:38 AM
(07-03-2013 04:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I feel its a valuable trait to know when you are wrong, and concede. And, although very unlikely, if God were proven to exist, most here who had claimed otherwise, would admit they were wrong.

Now, I just saw Heywood Jebusblome claim that he would concede if God were proven not to exist. I'm just wondering if its even possible to prove something doesn't exist. Even if the method is out of our grasp, how COULD it be done?

I've never heard of a thing being proven non-existent, however I have heard of concepts being proved wrong...

I doubt you will ever prove unicorns don't exist, however, I feel we have a great enough understanding of evolution and species to effectively rule out the possibility of one existing...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-03-2013, 09:39 AM
IMHO you have backwards as empiricists. An empirical object cannot be proven to not exist but a concept can for practical intents and purposes. God is a "higher power" and the power of God can enter or exit one's life in practical ways via the medium of prayer. 2 + 2 = 4 and not 5 is not an empirical anything but a concept that can be demonstrated false or true.
08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
(08-03-2013 09:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  IMHO you have backwards as empiricists. An empirical object cannot be proven to not exist but a concept can for practical intents and purposes. God is a "higher power" and the power of God can enter or exit one's life in practical ways via the medium of prayer. 2 + 2 = 4 and not 5 is not an empirical anything but a concept that can be demonstrated false or true.
Gods are concepts. They exist only in the human brain. No evidence of their existence outside the human brain exists and considerable evidence for their existence as concepts within the human brain does exist.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:23 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2013 08:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I doubt you will ever prove unicorns don't exist, ...

Sure you can.

1. If unicorns had existed, then there is evidence in the fossil record.
2. There is no evidence of unicorns in the fossil record.
3. Therefore, unicorns never existed.

(08-03-2013 08:35 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Oh, no, I have heard all this! I just think you need to change the site name to The Thinking Agnostic and be honest...

To be honest, I'm neither an atheist nor an agnostic. I continually redefine God as the currently most plausible explanation. I'm a scientist. Religions' problem is they are inflexible. They will never admit redefinition. And that will be their ultimate demise.

(08-03-2013 09:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  God is a "higher power" and the power of God can enter or exit one's life in practical ways via the medium of prayer.

Or in even more practical ways via physics and mathematics and chemistry and astronomy and cosmology and ... it's quite a long list of ways more practical than prayer.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Does anything exist beyond this computer? Let's use this computer to find out...

Mathematics is axiomatic, so is thingness.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 10:25 AM
(08-03-2013 10:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Does anything exist beyond this computer? Let's use this computer to find out...

Mathematics is axiomatic, so is thingness.

Change the axioms, change the premises, change the theory, you change God. And all is as it should be, and all is right with the world.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
(08-03-2013 08:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Which, by the way, is what most atheists do regarding god; we claim we have not found evidence for god and therefore do not accept that he is likely to exist.
Define likely, please. This sounds like a belief claim to me. Since you state that we cannot prove a negative, only that we haven't found something, why wouldn't all Atheists be Agnostics?
Many atheists are agnostics. I am. After all your time here on this forum, you don't think those two terms are still mutually exclusive, do you?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post