Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: Has anything ever been proven NOT to exist?
Quote:Anyway, I've no need of a deity to aid me in my life, if I've a problem, I will surmount it on my own, rather than waste my time praying to some deity, who by it's own supposed accounts is a mass murdering psycho and thus not worth my time anyway.
Death, sickness, despondency. On your own? This is why the canard, "There are no Atheists in foxholes."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2013, 01:32 AM
(18-03-2013 11:59 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Anyway, I've no need of a deity to aid me in my life, if I've a problem, I will surmount it on my own, rather than waste my time praying to some deity, who by it's own supposed accounts is a mass murdering psycho and thus not worth my time anyway.
Death, sickness, despondency. On your own? This is why the canard, "There are no Atheists in foxholes."

Death, I can deal with on my own. I do not fear death, I don't exactly welcome it to myself, but I wont fear when it comes time. And in fact, I almost revel in the deaths of others. It allows me a time to examine the people far my senior crying like babies at something I would have thought they would have realised as an inevitability in their ages, yet the never seem to.
In times of sickness or injury, I look after myself, if absolutely necessary, I will gain the aid of doctors and medicine. And for your "despondency" bit? Easily without a god. If I cannot rely on my own ability to stop myself from feeling sad, I dare say, that would be cause to question my worth as a person.

Actually, there are plenty of atheists on foxholes, there is an Association full of them.
If I may quote the RationWiki entry regarding your claim:
RationalWiki Wrote:In actuality, there are no Christians in foxholes. What part of "thou shalt not kill" don't you understand?
Also, I would love to take this opportunity to quote one James Morrow:
James Morrow Wrote:"That maxim, 'There are no atheists in foxholes,' it's not an argument against atheism -- it's an argument against foxholes."
Also in "America’s Military Population by David R. Segal and Mady Wechsler Segal, 2004" it is stated that:
Quote:In general, the armed
forces show lower religious affiliation
than the civilian population, even
among civilians ages 20 to 39 (see
Table 5).
In Table 5, it is shown that 21% of the military is "Atheist/no religion". See Page 25.

I do not have a single need or want of a god, nor any other deity, I am human after all. We must learn to stop depending on the fairy tales of primitives if we are to succeed, not only as a species, but as an intelligent race of beings with ever growing knowledge of the universe.
As far as I see, the tales of our long dead, primitive and ignorant ancestors has given us bloodshed, division and hatred amongst those who hold to different tales, while giving us little positive benefits in return.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:In Table 5, it is shown that 21% of the military is "Atheist/no religion".
In peacetime, sure. Most of the American military is not currently serving in a theater of war. Regardless, I will reemphasize the point that when it's your own death or your own sickness that the doctors (God forbid) cannot cure...
19-03-2013, 09:36 AM
(19-03-2013 08:42 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:In Table 5, it is shown that 21% of the military is "Atheist/no religion".
In peacetime, sure. Most of the American military is not currently serving in a theater of war. Regardless, I will reemphasize the point that when it's your own death or your own sickness that the doctors (God forbid) cannot cure...
Total fucking bullshit!
There are plenty of atheists in foxholes.
Doctors cured my cancer, not once did I turn to prayer. Had I been terminal I wouldn't have looked for help from a mythical creature. I'd have looked for ways to remain comfortable till it was time to check out.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Also...I wouldn't want a fellow soldier using his energy to plead for help from a mythical being...when the bullets are flying, I want someone who is going to be focused and able to point and shoot.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-03-2013, 09:48 AM
SexuallyPleaseJesus (the name caught on), your arrogance is only outweighed by your inexperience in comprehending... Still, I'm not giving up on you because of that wonderful subconscious of yours. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-03-2013, 10:03 AM
When a theist dies from terminal illness, it's because: __________?
When an atheist dies from terminal illness, it's because: __________?

When a theist somehow recovers from terminal illness, it's because: __________?
When an atheist somehow recovers from terminal illness, it's because: __________?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
19-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I see it is not possible to have a philosophical conversation, the way I would with my freethinker friends, on this forum. "There are no Atheists in foxholes" is a longstanding cliche. And then up jump everyone with their ANECDOTAL exceptions. "No, no, me--I had cancer and didn't EVER pray." Meanwhile, if any Christian ever comes here with a personal revelation... NO, sorry, not possible, there isn't even ONE person who has ever lived who has experienced anything unnatural in our materialist universe. Again, the double standard.
19-03-2013, 01:13 PM
(19-03-2013 01:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I see it is not possible to have a philosophical conversation, the way I would with my freethinker friends, on this forum. "There are no Atheists in foxholes" is a longstanding cliche. And then up jump everyone with their ANECDOTAL exceptions. "No, no, me--I had cancer and didn't EVER pray." Meanwhile, if any Christian ever comes here with a personal revelation... NO, sorry, not possible, there isn't even ONE person who has ever lived who has experienced anything unnatural in our materialist universe. Again, the double standard.

Yet another straw man argument. Don't you ever run out of them?

I believe that you experience personal revelation. It just doesn't prove anything outside of your head.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-03-2013, 01:21 PM
(19-03-2013 01:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I see it is not possible to have a philosophical conversation, the way I would with my freethinker friends, on this forum. "There are no Atheists in foxholes" is a longstanding cliche. And then up jump everyone with their ANECDOTAL exceptions. "No, no, me--I had cancer and didn't EVER pray." Meanwhile, if any Christian ever comes here with a personal revelation... NO, sorry, not possible, there isn't even ONE person who has ever lived who has experienced anything unnatural in our materialist universe. Again, the double standard.
What, are you trying for an Oscar now? I think you're hamming it up way too much; tone down the drama a bit.

Few of us tell the Christian that his personal revelation is IMPOSSIBLE, but most of us say that HIS personal revelation is not evidence for US to believe.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post