Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Has atheism become religion?
Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
I'll admit that the atheist churches popping up are a bit bizarre... I also thought that monument was needless as well. I don't understand why people feel the need to do these things, but all this doesn't mean that atheism has become a religion. Dat's silly... I do get where you are coming from though.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
07-07-2013, 12:51 PM
People have a tendency towards that group mindset.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
07-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Don't ask why... ask why not. Let's face it, the church method works, the only problem was the message. As for the atheist monument in Florida, well that is simply tit for tat.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2013, 01:15 PM
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.

that because everyone mean atheism opportunity and not atheism true means

atheism is the conscious position against theism, for absolute relativism so freedom of obligations to relate with everything and others

in that sense by definition atheism is true since it cant b smthg by itself, so truly against religions that insistence to relate anyone with the whole space
07-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Atheism is not a religion because :

1.There are not the divergences like in Christianity (Catholicism , Protestantism , Orthodoxy etc...) the atheism of each is different you're your divergence.

2.Atheists don't believe in supernatural but the follower of a religion believe in supernatural.

3.Atheism is not a belief.

4.Atheists don't have leaders like religions.

5.Religions have dogmas who change never. Many atheists like science. The scientifical knowledge can change but not the dogmas.
Yes the catholic church adopted Vatican II in the 60's but this is not a change of dogma.
07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.

Yes and no - but the far more interesting question is where will it lead!

Religion is really, in my opinion, in its basest sense, a paradigm. Everybody has beliefs they adhere to and which in a sense guides them. When it becomes organized is when it begins to become an entity of it's own accord. Then it becomes dangerous and then it is transmogrified.

Atheism, like all organized religion, is doomed to the same history, abuse, and growth more like an agressive cancer than an intellectual growth.

This rapid change has already been visible. I see two possible conclusions. The first, a positive one, is the basis of my illustrative parable in motion, "Pathway Machine." Science and technology will provide every need for every living human on earth. Something like Zeitgeist and The Venus Project might be a foreshadow of. This would take a global revolution of sorts and an end to a monetary system.

Far more likely is a South Park sort of view of a Ministry Of Science in a religious Jihad sort of series of events.

Like someone here said, people tend to gravitate to a group mindset. A tribal superstition, not surprisingly, can be quixotic or mundane.

[Image: logo2.png]
07-07-2013, 01:49 PM
(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Atheism is not a religion because :

1.There are not the divergences like in Christianity (Catholicism , Protestantism , Orthodoxy etc...) the atheism of each is different you're your divergence.

Yet, officially. Though similar boundries are being drawn.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  2.Atheists don't believe in supernatural but the follower of a religion believe in supernatural.

Buddhist? Confucianist? Taoist? Even Hinduist and Shintoist in the strictist sense?

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  3.Atheism is not a belief.

Yes it is. Belief that there is no God is a belief.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  4.Atheists don't have leaders like religions.

Dawkins, Harris, Maher, Hitchins, etc.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  5.Religions have dogmas who change never. Many atheists like science. The scientifical knowledge can change but not the dogmas.
Yes the catholic church adopted Vatican II in the 60's but this is not a change of dogma.

Nonsense. Science and Dogma are the imperfect workings of men, they are both subject to the same change or the same stagnancy. . . er, stagnicity. Stagnificent . . . uh, bullshit.

07-07-2013, 01:54 PM

When they have any monument even approaching your cathedrals and superstition sites, get back to me. When religionists do it, it's called "spreading the good news", and "evangelization for Jebus". When atheists do the same thing, it's called "militant atheism". Get used to it. Defending one's views is not a "religion". How many Christard churches insulted atheists today in their liturgies ? BTW, can I buy some magic water from Lourdes ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-07-2013, 02:01 PM
(07-07-2013 01:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When they have any monument even approaching your cathedrals and superstition sites, get back to me. When religionists do it, it's called "spreading the good news", and "evangelization for Jebus". When atheists do the same thing, it's called "militant atheism". Get used to it. Defending one's views is not a "religion". How many Christard churches insulted atheists today in their liturgies ? BTW, can I buy some magic water from Lourdes ?

An aside, Mr. Ball, if you please. You are always on about how important education is and how far superior your education is to anyone who disagrees with your destructive criticism . . . tell me. How much time after your time at the office and defending your lack of faith do you have for your "studies." You dumb asshole.