Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?

If atheism is a religion...when do we get our tax exemptions and our chaplains in the military?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like sencha's post
08-07-2013, 09:14 PM
(07-07-2013 09:40 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 09:04 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I am vehemently against that. That sounds EXACTLY like religion. The Atheism banner is not what helped me during my de-conversion. In fact, I avoided anything with that name attached to it due to misconceptions. It was EDUCATION that delivered me from evil. Only then did I start hunting down Atheistic content.

Therein lies my belief... we don't need a banner to unite under. What we need is PROPER EDUCATION. We need science literacy. This way, even the religious will be for scientific advancement. I honestly have no problems with a science literate religious person. People like KC. I could live in a world full of people like him and my close religious buddy.

Agreed. It was education that led me too. But religion more often than not actively hinders education. It can work both ways. Lack of religion could lead you to science or science could lead you to lack of religion. Either way the outcome is virtually the same. Science may have led you to atheistic content, but that content likely reinforced your science. Otherwise why bother? Data points are data points. I don't see what is so bad about atheist groups. Supporting science and rational thought is THE cornerstone of what atheists stand for. Science itself is not simply a bunch of individuals. We only give real consideration to those ideas that are "peer reviewed". Science is a group. Why should atheism be any different? I do not propose that we should try to form a paramilitary system of ranks and orders like religion does. That would not fly. And rightly so. But I do not see how being known as an atheist and working with other atheists is counterproductive. What stigma are you trying to avoid?

I am not hating. I simply don't understand your logic.

The problem IN MY OPINION is that when you take a single subject, in the case of Atheism that would be non-belief, and unite under it... there is a high likelihood that you're going to harbor zealotry. And that is in fact what has happened in many cases. Honestly, I see/hear this way too much for comfort...

"You're a fucking idiot if you believe in some magic sky daddy..."

Also, when we have this banner, we are easily stereotyped. Atheism has a negative stereotype thanks to the zealots.

About education and religion hindering it... you're absolutely right that it does in some cases. But it's not ALWAYS the case. It's poor legislation. It's underpaid teachers. It's an educational system that thinks standardized testing determines an individuals knowledge on a subject. There is so much wrong with the state of the educational system (I'm speaking as an American) and religion is only a small part of it. It is the Atheist movement that exaggerates the hindrance religion places on education. There's been a few cases where ID was taken to court. I don't know of any public schools that still teach ID. Maybe some in the bible belt, but I think that's no longer legal (unsure).

You also have to realize that private schools exist. The students from those schools become part of the statistics. We can't do anything about those schools.

I guess I shouldn't say I'm vehemently against this. I just wish there were another way. I do not like it.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-07-2013, 04:11 AM
(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  Sorry, but I respectfully must disagree again. All of these dictionaries you provided do qualify my use of the term. Note: the Encyclopedia Britannica; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world. This speaks to atheism quite well in my view.

It says more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, implying they must first be a religion. It does not support your view at all, since you already make the assumption that it is a religion.

(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  Note: The Farflex dictionary; 4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

It's a good thing religion isn't that.

(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  If I may suggest to you a thought about language. Dictionaries do not dictate language, nor do they make people right or wrong when trying their honest best to communicate. They offer many definitions for one word according to how a word is commonly used. Buddhism is commonly recognized as a religion even though they do not care to define their belief as a worship of God. But that is understandable since the Buddha was raised in an environment with many so called gods. Nonetheless the Buddha was a theist.

What provides the definition of words then? How do we determine what words mean? Fucking hell, childeye, you are blind and ignorant beyond comprehension. You are so desperate as to question the validity and purpose of multiple dictionaries.

Oh, and Buddhism is not a theistic religion.

(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  What I am trying to say is there is a moral Truth that exists as empathy. All people should acknowledge this Spirit. The bible does, so what's wrong with that? It's people who have usurped this Truth for personal stature and gain who defile and slander what has always been a persons' moral center.

And that is a great personal belief that you have. Don't make it sound like it is objective.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Oh, I've missed these. After a year in the wilderness it's so refreshing to come back to this.

Thanks Childeye for these posts...they're just super.

I love how in post #90, ride the spiral showed you a dictionary that mentions the words 'blind trust' and you found one that didn't have those words in the definition. Google acrobatcis FTW.

It's...just...super, please keep going.

So far I've learnt that: I don't love my wife, that she may or may not love me (damn agnostics) and each time I jump in my car I'm reliant on faith rather than the highway code (a set of rules & guidelines in the UK that govern road safety) or my ABS brakes or the amazing safety/navigation technology to get me home.

Should I conduct some kind of sacrifice to the gods of motoring before going home or is paying road tax enough?

More please!

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post
09-07-2013, 08:09 AM
(08-07-2013 08:30 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 06:18 PM)Buddy Wrote:  You contradicted yourself.
By all means, please elaborate.
You seem confused with your definitions. You state you can't trust hearsay, yet you base your trust on Faith. Do you know why the studied religious leaders call their religion a 'Faith'?
09-07-2013, 08:17 AM
(08-07-2013 06:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:29 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Atheism has become a cause, but not a religion. It's no more a religion than the civil rights movement is. People are organizing in support of the cause of atheism and to find other like-minded individuals to socialize with and learn from. Atheism contains no deity or devotion to the supernatural which is what separates it from religion.

(Forgive me if I repeated what has already been said. No time at the moment so I didn't read the whole thread.)
A well stated thought in my opinion. My only grievance is that you seem unaware that all people are subject to knowledge and ignorance. The civil rights movement was as much about serving empathy as any other movement that seeks justice. We all serve God or that which is perceived as good for all of us. To do otherwise is hypocritical reasoning. We all serve Love as the moral imperative. Therefore you do have a devotion to this Spirit which scripture identifies as eternal.
The question was "has atheism become a religion" which you seem to have forgotten in your answer. Your reply merely asserts that we all serve God which has nothing to do with the question or my reply to it. As for serving empathy, I disagree particularly about the "serving" part, but even if that was true, that wouldn't make atheism a religion. That was a major stretch.

And, by the way, earlier up the thread you stated that faith is synonymous with trust. Well, that's like saying bark is synonymous with tree skin knowing full well that bark has other meanings (woof). When it comes to faith as applied to religion there is no other synonymous word. Used that way, I trust my friend will not steal from me when in my house, but I don't have faith in him like someone has faith in the existence of a god in the absence of proof. You could say I have faith that he won't steal from me, which is where the synonym with trust would come in, but that's a different meaning of the word faith from the one applied to religion.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
09-07-2013, 09:18 AM
(08-07-2013 11:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Would you say that theism is a religion?

No but neither is atheism in the technical sense. But the organization and assumed shared beliefs of atheist is certain religion-esque. The monument in Florida is the perfect example. Not the monument itself but the quote on the front suggesting that atheist have a shared belief and the logo with American Atheists on the front of it. A bench with nothing on it would have been more appropriate.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I see the more recent Atheist actions to gain publicity is akin to the Gays and Gay rights movements. We are both coming out of the closet so to speak. Atheists are finally being accepted in places where they were not welcome and in places where they could not freely express themselves. Look for more of this in the future as the acceptance grows. I don't expect religion to die out just become more tolerant and less insecure.
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy's post
09-07-2013, 10:09 AM
(09-07-2013 09:18 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 11:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Would you say that theism is a religion?

No but neither is atheism in the technical sense. But the organization and assumed shared beliefs of atheist is certain religion-esque. The monument in Florida is the perfect example. Not the monument itself but the quote on the front suggesting that atheist have a shared belief and the logo with American Atheists on the front of it. A bench with nothing on it would have been more appropriate.

My point was that if atheism is to be considered a religion, theism is to be considered a religion too. The problem with classifying atheism as a "religion" is that there is no shared dogma. Those fucks who put the monument up are not adhering to some dogmatic system encompassing atheism, and anyone who does has created an atheistic religion (similar to Satanism or Buddhism). Atheism itself is not a religion or religion-esque.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
(07-07-2013 01:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Yet, officially. Though similar boundries are being drawn.

Either you believe or you don't. The end.

(07-07-2013 01:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Yes it is. Belief that there is no God is a belief.

Wow, you're really desperate aren't you?

[Image: 9f6.gif]