Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them.

That is not a fact. That is a straw man.

Quote:From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?

No. Because Potato.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm starting to think we may as well accept its a religion and take the perks:
Definition: Religion:
The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:

body of persons= rational people
Adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices= The internationally agreed scientific method and the belief that seeking truth is more noble than dogma, leaving the world a better place than we found it.

I would take my kids (if they wanted to) to an Atheist Gathering to hear presentations on new scientific discoveries, how we can use group / community cooperation to solve local problems.
Share ideas meet new people, it would be "enlightening".
People newly de-converted have a huge hole in there life from missing regular gatherings, what better way to show that Atheist are not immoral and want a better community just like the Christians generally do when they are not threatening hell fire.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-11-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 09:57 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(21-11-2013 09:44 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm starting to think we may as well accept its a religion and take the perks:

Adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices= The internationally agreed scientific method and the belief that seeking truth is more noble than dogma, leaving the world a better place than we found it.

I would take my kids (if they wanted to) to an Atheist Gathering to hear presentations on new scientific discoveries, how we can use group / community cooperation to solve local problems.
People newly de-converted have a huge hole in there life from missing regular gatherings, what better way to show that Atheist are not immoral and want a better community just like the Christians generally do when they are not threatening hell fire.
I don't see any unifying anything. We just got that "don't believe in a god" in varying degrees of confidence. Not all atheist are into science and or rational and still have superstitions and adhere to certain pseudoscience and the supernatural, heck I once believed in ghosts. My friend believes that aliens have visited and are locked up somewhere and that there are ghosts..well he's agnostic so he doesn't count.Dodgy

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
21-11-2013, 09:53 PM
No dualist belief in a soul or spirit = not religion. Religions universally share this characteristic in some form.

I'm all for atheists forming community (why we're here, right?), organizing to make their voices heard, and being caring enough to encourage people to base their life choices on reason and evidence. That's being human, not religious.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
21-11-2013, 10:01 PM
(21-11-2013 09:53 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:44 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm starting to think we may as well accept its a religion and take the perks:

I don't see any unifying anything. We just got that "don't believe in a god" in varying degrees of confidence. Not all atheist are into science and or rational and still have superstitions and adhere to certain pseudoscience and the supernatural, heck I once believed in ghosts. My friend believes that aliens have visited and are locked up somewhere and that there are ghosts..well he's agnostic so he doesn't count.Dodgy

I'm not saying we get all semantic, just coin a new term that covers a general rule of principle, let it evolve into thousands of sects like Christianity did.

Actually the more I think this through the more wrong it feels. Dodgy

21-11-2013, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 11:44 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-11-2013 10:01 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:53 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't see any unifying anything. We just got that "don't believe in a god" in varying degrees of confidence. Not all atheist are into science and or rational and still have superstitions and adhere to certain pseudoscience and the supernatural, heck I once believed in ghosts. My friend believes that aliens have visited and are locked up somewhere and that there are ghosts..well he's agnostic so he doesn't count.Dodgy

I'm not saying we get all semantic, just coin a new term that covers a general rule of principle, let it evolve into thousands of sects like Christianity did.

If you want something with a humanity centered focus without attaching it to atheism (and thus excluding theists), then just go with secular humanism. They have meetings and gatherings, do fundraisers and volunteer. They could be a great social surrogate for those coming out of religion, who want that same sense of community and fellowship but without the emphasis on god.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-11-2013, 11:58 PM
(21-11-2013 11:41 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 10:01 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm not saying we get all semantic, just coin a new term that covers a general rule of principle, let it evolve into thousands of sects like Christianity did.

If you want something with a humanity centered focus without attaching it to atheism (and thus excluding theists), then just go with secular humanism. They have meetings and gatherings, do fundraisers and volunteer. They could be a great social surrogate for those coming out of religion, who want that same sense of community and fellowship but without the emphasis on god.

Actually disassociating it with Atheism, so as to let Theists attend and hear rational thought. would be great, although how do you propose a gathering that discourages theistic opinions without being discriminatory.
my head hurts Sadcryface

22-11-2013, 01:30 AM
(21-11-2013 11:58 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Actually disassociating it with Atheism, so as to let Theists attend and hear rational thought. would be great, although how do you propose a gathering that discourages theistic opinions without being discriminatory.
my head hurts Sadcryface

You can be 'pro humanity' without being 'anti god' or 'pro skepticism'. The group just need to be clear about it's purpose and motivation. They're not gathering and doing good because of a religious mandate or directions from god. They're coming together as people to help other people because they have empathy for their fellow man. It's an emphasis on inclusion, rather than exclusion.

You can believe in a higher power, he simply has no place at this table.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
22-11-2013, 02:45 AM
Christians are so thin skinned I think it would be impossible not to offend them.

Especially when active atheism is about exposing religious hypocrisy and the harm it causes

22-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Why would the group have to be comprised of atheists, and reject theists, are you saying there aren't prominent scientists who are theists?

Does whatever religion people are, have anything at all to do with the open discussion of facts (as long as it is totally unbiased).

I have particular interest in these sorts of topics, as the population of the world does tend to form group mentalities, accepting flawed dogma if said by someone who appears prominent in that group. The quasi religious nature of group mentality.

Don't forget you have as much evidence that a god doesn't exist as you have that a god does.. (lots of evidence that organised religions talk out their behinds though)

And about getting a voice heard... wtf does an atheist need to get their voice heard for more than joebloggs down the street. Why does a group need to 'represent' the interests of atheists? Support your beliefs? is this not religious intent? Hypocrisy will rule!