Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(07-07-2013 01:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?

When they have any monument even approaching your cathedrals and superstition sites, get back to me. When religionists do it, it's called "spreading the good news", and "evangelization for Jebus". When atheists do the same thing, it's called "militant atheism". Get used to it. Defending one's views is not a "religion". How many Christard churches insulted atheists today in their liturgies ? BTW, can I buy some magic water from Lourdes ?

That. What Bucky said.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Wikipedia says it nicely;

Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to the supernatural, and to spirituality.

Atheism is not organized, it is not a collection of beliefs, there is no atheist worldview, and atheism has nothing to do with the supernatural or spirituality. Atheists can be spiritual, superstitious, or religious, or they could be none of those things. Atheism relates to only one thing - do you believe in god(s)? It is a yes or no question.

People can make religions that are atheistic - there already are some - but atheism itself is not a religion.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 4 users Like Elesjei's post
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 02:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-07-2013 02:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 01:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When they have any monument even approaching your cathedrals and superstition sites, get back to me. When religionists do it, it's called "spreading the good news", and "evangelization for Jebus". When atheists do the same thing, it's called "militant atheism". Get used to it. Defending one's views is not a "religion". How many Christard churches insulted atheists today in their liturgies ? BTW, can I buy some magic water from Lourdes ?

An aside, Mr. Ball, if you please. You are always on about how important education is and how far superior your education is to anyone who disagrees with your destructive criticism . . . tell me. How much time after your time at the office and defending your lack of faith do you have for your "studies." You dumb asshole.

Sorry. I do not interact with criminal plagiarizer sock-puppeteers.
(heh heh "destructive criticism" = "damn it's annoying when they call out my infantile, copy/pasted JW bullshit") Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
07-07-2013, 02:17 PM
(07-07-2013 02:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sorry. I do not interact with criminal plagiarizer sock-puppeteers.

Obviously not, I was foolish to think so, what with all of the posts you respond to me with. You dumb asshole.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
(07-07-2013 02:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  That. What Bucky said.

Sure you don't want to think for yourself on that? After all it doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to go from one monument to the other. Perhaps if it wasn't the primary MO of the former theist to insult the ghost of themselves, a representitive of their former self, they wouldn't appear to be so blatantly obtuse.
07-07-2013, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 02:37 PM by ridethespiral.)
Atheism in and of itself is not a religion, there are no holy books or prophets, no dogma, it fails to meet the criteria for a religion.

There are now Atheist organizations that serve as support groups and political counter groups and these are organized, have leaders, charters, etc. These have become necessary because of the political climate and the ever eroding boundary between church and state. These are to Atheism what the Salvation Army is to Christianity, they are affiliated with Atheism but they are not the Vatican by any means.

Atheism is in the negative (a-theism), it's not 'the belief that there is no god' it's the lack of belief that there is a god, there is a subtal but important difference.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
The deluded criminal plagiarizing sock-puppeteer actually thinks a post *about* his bs is addressed to him. After all his lost/abandoned/refused "debates", and being outed as a plagiarizer, his balls at even showing his face here is astounding. Why on earth would anyone want to even think about being a theist, considering what it's done to him ?

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
07-07-2013, 02:38 PM
(07-07-2013 02:21 PM)The Theist Wrote:  

Sure you don't want to think for yourself on that? After all it doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to go from one monument to the other. Perhaps if it wasn't the primary MO of the former theist to insult the ghost of themselves, a representitive of their former self, they wouldn't appear to be so blatantly obtuse.

I don't talk to people who are prone to hurdle insults.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2013, 02:39 PM
(07-07-2013 02:21 PM)The Theist Wrote:  

That 'monument' was put up in response to the state of Florida using free speech laws to justify religious garbage on public property, after the law rained on their parade. It would not be there, except to call Florida on it's BS.

07-07-2013, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 08:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Atheism is not a "belief".
The absence of belief is not belief in absence.
If atheism is a belief system, then so is *no belief* in something as equally preposterous as belief in the gods,
such as a tea pot orbiting the sun or a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto.

Ancient pissed-off deities are simply dismissed as ridiculous.
It has nothing to do with "belief".
Dismissal is not belief.

Do I "believe" dinosaurs still roam the Earth ?
I do not.
Is THAT a religion ?
It is, if atheism is a religion.
Obviously neither are.
Some people are so stuck, they can only think in "theistic" categories.