Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
If by religion, you mean making dogmatic assertions, lack of critical thinking, subscribing to group-think and failure to verify sources; yeah, individuals of every community are guilty of such dereliction.

If by religion, you mean, religion, then, no. Religions require a positive belief system, and "lack of belief" ain't it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-07-2013, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 06:22 PM by Free Thought.)
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?

Here in Australia, the High Court in 1983 defined religion as: "a complex of beliefs and practices which point to a set of values and an understanding of the meaning of existence".

To this definition, atheism does not fit. Atheism does not have a complex of beliefs, or any at all really. Atheism practises nor encourages a universal set of values, and it does not dictate a meaning to life.

Atheism has no 'beliefs', rather a rejection of all those theological; any beliefs of an atheist are his/her own, not that of the concept, the same can be said of value; individual, not dictated en masse by atheism. Atheism does not teach nor dictate the meaning of life either.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
The reaction that we are speaking about, Atheists gathering in groups, erecting monuments, is just a direct response to how atheists have been misconstrued and demonized in our society. We are not monsters, we are not crazy, we are not killers, we are not puppy eaters and baby stealers. We are sane, free thinking, rational, and logical people (for the most part I think) Smile Why should we be set aside and scoffed at by theists? So how does a marginalized and disenfranchised (in some ways I think this word can be applied) respond? By gathering, by organizing, and by speaking up. Erecting the monument down in Florida IMO was pretty awesome if only to say we are NOT going to sit back and let illogical, dogmatic laws and thoughts infiltrate our government, public places, etc. without a fight and response.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
[+] 1 user Likes AtheistTeacher's post
07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't think Atheism has become a religion. I do however think that sometimes, if you were to just look at actions, you wouldn't be able to distinguish a religious group from an Atheist one.

But when you delve deeper, Atheists are just retaliating. That retaliation is what most bothers me and is one of the reasons why I dislike identifying myself as an Atheist. Some Atheists do nothing for the negative image atheism has. I've seen many Atheists that are as intolerant as their religious counterparts.

"Fuck your God! You're a fucking idiot for believing in a magic sky daddy!"

Too much for me. I don't want to be lumped with that.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
(07-07-2013 07:34 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I don't think Atheism has become a religion. I do however think that sometimes, if you were to just look at actions, you wouldn't be able to distinguish a religious group from an Atheist one.

But when you delve deeper, Atheists are just retaliating. That retaliation is what most bothers me and is one of the reasons why I dislike identifying myself as an Atheist. Some Atheists do nothing for the negative image atheism has. I've seen many Atheists that are as intolerant as their religious counterparts.

"Fuck your God! You're a fucking idiot for believing in a magic sky daddy!"

Too much for me. I don't want to be lumped with that.

But you can see those sorts of overemotional disagreements in any human endeavor; politics, sports, fashion, art, music - I even stumbled upon an obscenely verbose battle on a knitting forum once. I was there for nearly a day before I figured out that we weren't arguing about the trinity - learned some awesome needlepoint techniques though . . .
07-07-2013, 08:52 PM
This is just the natural course of action that is bound to happen. We cannot hope to free ourselves from a world of useless crap that religion brings if we do not organize. A bundle of small cables is stronger than one large strand. We are responding to things like the monument simply to provide an alternative in the hopes that eventually reason will prevail. I do not care what anyone chooses to believe unless it negatively impacts those around them. If I were to convince a group of children that I were god and turned them into my own personal cult you would want to call me out on it right? I hope you would. That is essentially what we are up against. I think that "atheist church" is sort of like "assault weapon". It is simply a misleading term used to gain a stronger reaction.

Now, we humans have developed a strong tendency to fall into "group think". We want to belong to a group. Atheism in and of itself may not be an identity, but it is something to identify with. Ideally, we would not need to even have this forum. Yet we do. And you all felt compelled to post on it. Is that not a form of "atheist church"?

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
(07-07-2013 08:52 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  This is just the natural course of action that is bound to happen. We cannot hope to free ourselves from a world of useless crap that religion brings if we do not organize. A bundle of small cables is stronger than one large strand. We are responding to things like the monument simply to provide an alternative in the hopes that eventually reason will prevail. I do not care what anyone chooses to believe unless it negatively impacts those around them. If I were to convince a group of children that I were god and turned them into my own personal cult you would want to call me out on it right? I hope you would. That is essentially what we are up against. I think that "atheist church" is sort of like "assault weapon". It is simply a misleading term used to gain a stronger reaction.

Now, we humans have developed a strong tendency to fall into "group think". We want to belong to a group. Atheism in and of itself may not be an identity, but it is something to identify with. Ideally, we would not need to even have this forum. Yet we do. And you all felt compelled to post on it. Is that not a form of "atheist church"?

I am vehemently against that. That sounds EXACTLY like religion. The Atheism banner is not what helped me during my de-conversion. In fact, I avoided anything with that name attached to it due to misconceptions. It was EDUCATION that delivered me from evil. Only then did I start hunting down Atheistic content.

Therein lies my belief... we don't need a banner to unite under. What we need is PROPER EDUCATION. We need science literacy. This way, even the religious will be for scientific advancement. I honestly have no problems with a science literate religious person. People like KC. I could live in a world full of people like him and my close religious buddy.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
07-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Dont think it's becoming a religion. As many posters have already said, athiesm by it's own definition cannot impose any explanations or moral truths. We are an incredibly disparate set of individuals united only by our rejection of theistic dogma.

What we actually need is an advocacy group. But not one that is anti-religion. We need one that is pro-education. One that insists our children be taught not just scientific truths to the best of our current understanding, but the method by which these truths are discovered and how this can be applied to life in general

Also, isn't an "Atheist Church" just a house?

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
07-07-2013, 09:40 PM
(07-07-2013 09:04 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I am vehemently against that. That sounds EXACTLY like religion. The Atheism banner is not what helped me during my de-conversion. In fact, I avoided anything with that name attached to it due to misconceptions. It was EDUCATION that delivered me from evil. Only then did I start hunting down Atheistic content.

Therein lies my belief... we don't need a banner to unite under. What we need is PROPER EDUCATION. We need science literacy. This way, even the religious will be for scientific advancement. I honestly have no problems with a science literate religious person. People like KC. I could live in a world full of people like him and my close religious buddy.

Agreed. It was education that led me too. But religion more often than not actively hinders education. It can work both ways. Lack of religion could lead you to science or science could lead you to lack of religion. Either way the outcome is virtually the same. Science may have led you to atheistic content, but that content likely reinforced your science. Otherwise why bother? Data points are data points. I don't see what is so bad about atheist groups. Supporting science and rational thought is THE cornerstone of what atheists stand for. Science itself is not simply a bunch of individuals. We only give real consideration to those ideas that are "peer reviewed". Science is a group. Why should atheism be any different? I do not propose that we should try to form a paramilitary system of ranks and orders like religion does. That would not fly. And rightly so. But I do not see how being known as an atheist and working with other atheists is counterproductive. What stigma are you trying to avoid?

I am not hating. I simply don't understand your logic.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
07-07-2013, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 10:24 PM by The Theist.)
(07-07-2013 09:40 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  I am vehemently against that. That sounds EXACTLY like religion. The Atheism banner is not what helped me during my de-conversion. In fact, I avoided anything with that name attached to it due to misconceptions. It was EDUCATION that delivered me from evil. Only then did I start hunting down Atheistic content.

What about proper education of religion. Religion literacy?