Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 10:30 PM by The Theist.)
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(07-07-2013 08:52 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  This is just the natural course of action that is bound to happen. We cannot hope to free ourselves from a world of useless crap that religion brings if we do not organize. A bundle of small cables is stronger than one large strand. We are responding to things like the monument simply to provide an alternative in the hopes that eventually reason will prevail. I do not care what anyone chooses to believe unless it negatively impacts those around them. If I were to convince a group of children that I were god and turned them into my own personal cult you would want to call me out on it right? I hope you would. That is essentially what we are up against. I think that "atheist church" is sort of like "assault weapon". It is simply a misleading term used to gain a stronger reaction.

Now, we humans have developed a strong tendency to fall into "group think". We want to belong to a group. Atheism in and of itself may not be an identity, but it is something to identify with. Ideally, we would not need to even have this forum. Yet we do. And you all felt compelled to post on it. Is that not a form of "atheist church"?

Militant atheists tend to have an impractically idealistic fantasy that if you remove superstitious religion it will herald a new dawn of reason which begs the question of how superstitious fear has so long prevailed over reason in the first place? Where is the reason in fractional reserve banking or the development of an arsonal of weaponry that could destroy us all many times over?

It's a gross overestimation (or underestimation, depending upon your perspective) to place the blame of societies ills on the religious, even as loathsome a thing religion is, because if you break it down it is far more political than it is religious. The quixotic as well as the mundane. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 11:58 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-07-2013 10:22 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 08:52 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  This is just the natural course of action that is bound to happen. We cannot hope to free ourselves from a world of useless crap that religion brings if we do not organize. A bundle of small cables is stronger than one large strand. We are responding to things like the monument simply to provide an alternative in the hopes that eventually reason will prevail. I do not care what anyone chooses to believe unless it negatively impacts those around them. If I were to convince a group of children that I were god and turned them into my own personal cult you would want to call me out on it right? I hope you would. That is essentially what we are up against. I think that "atheist church" is sort of like "assault weapon". It is simply a misleading term used to gain a stronger reaction.

Now, we humans have developed a strong tendency to fall into "group think". We want to belong to a group. Atheism in and of itself may not be an identity, but it is something to identify with. Ideally, we would not need to even have this forum. Yet we do. And you all felt compelled to post on it. Is that not a form of "atheist church"?

Militant atheists tend to have an impractically idealistic fantasy that if you remove superstitious religion it will herald a new dawn of reason which begs the question of how superstitious fear has so long prevailed over reason in the first place? Where is the reason in fractional reserve banking or the development of an arsonal of weaponry that could destroy us all many times over?

It's a gross overestimation (or underestimation, depending upon your perspective) to place the blame of societies ills on the religious, even as loathsome a thing religion is, because if you break it down it is far more political than it is religious. The quixotic as well as the mundane. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

True. But militant atheists cloak hot plates in the gas and factory salad while the misnomer of wheelchair makes the warships spar with the queen on the balcony. But doing arithmetic in the kitchen pads it's skin, while drums in the chapel points to hooligans in the bargain. The wire opera carriage needs aspirin for the lord playing dodgem with applause, while the pileup in the garlic market removes the knife from the chimp in the aerial carrot copier. Only believers graduate to aluminum butter. The race for the panther summit will only cloud religion's weaponry, and quixotic tongues of executive's credit card debt. Better to stick to ambiguous cloves than trumpet nose wigs. Tea pots in the tomb on the birthday is never a good sign. Which always makes as much sense as a theist post. See above.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-07-2013, 11:40 PM
(07-07-2013 11:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Good one. I like those random word generator games.

Oh, those are most fun of all. Posts within posts within posts . . .
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 01:30 AM
its not a religion. religion is defined as "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods".
08-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Atheist-churches?
Sounds weird at first, but think about it.

It could basically serve as an offline version of this forum, as a support-group. Religious-Anonymous.
And without a visible presence, the non-religious will always stay a thin margin, never to be taken serious.

But if there are regular gatherings everywhere it will have 3 effects:
1. It will give credibility as a movement
2. Be taken serious in the public debate that is dominated by the christians.
3. It will attract more people.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
08-07-2013, 03:53 AM
No, Atheism is not a religion.

Secular Humanism - which many atheists subscribe to, can be considered a quasi religion. I think many critics of atheism mean this, when they call atheism a religion.
08-07-2013, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 04:00 AM by absols.)
it is funny how far u think in terms of opportunities

atheism is for truth and rights, it is not a fashion or a will

what u want do it urself or be it the world proved how any can b subjectively all what he wants and stay sociable one with others

in truth, atheist is against theism knowin the wrong it is

futur i guess would show how far it is true, when the sense would b only to fight gods powers over individuals existence till the day of states separation from gods would b provided from superior supports

there is no religion for atheism when we are only conscious conditions in life waiting to get killed
since superpowers rule then resistence ends lead to subjective existence ways but not positive free life

and a movement is opposite to credibilty when by definition it cant b real

public debates are opposite to christians powers, it is clear anywhere that scientific atheist ways of reasonnings leads all serious debates

christians cannot debate, which show the christian u r

atheism cannot attract people, when it is an individual mean to b self conscious and sources

only the opposite to atheism could say that, and see normal to preach non preachings

what attract people is powers over others or powerful sources promises of positive gifts

people turn their back on religions bc they realized how negative it makes them b

but then they become like u, preaching nonsense of opposite to

or seeking to relate to any objective safe figure or positive source

atheism is the opposite to powers when it is about self conscious life to realize individually
08-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Well, since Religion is an organized set of beliefs, I would find it hard to call Atheism a Religion just based on the fact that Atheism is a "suspension of belief". Thus, Atheism can really no more be a religion that those types of people who DON'T believe in "Bigfoot".

Furthermore, Atheism is NOT:

1. A Belief or organized set of beliefs
2. An appeal to the supernatural
3. A Worldview (for example, how could NOT believing in Bigfoot be a Worldview?)
4. A culture
5. An appeal to the sacred.

Hope this helps.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Atheism is as much a religion as not believing in unicorns, fairies and Santa Claus is. That.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
08-07-2013, 07:17 AM
(07-07-2013 01:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Atheism is not a religion because :

1.There are not the divergences like in Christianity (Catholicism , Protestantism , Orthodoxy etc...) the atheism of each is different you're your divergence.

Yet, officially. Though similar boundries are being drawn.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  2.Atheists don't believe in supernatural but the follower of a religion believe in supernatural.

Buddhist? Confucianist? Taoist? Even Hinduist and Shintoist in the strictist sense?

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  3.Atheism is not a belief.

Yes it is. Belief that there is no God is a belief.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  4.Atheists don't have leaders like religions.

Dawkins, Harris, Maher, Hitchins, etc.

(07-07-2013 01:39 PM)viocjit Wrote:  5.Religions have dogmas who change never. Many atheists like science. The scientifical knowledge can change but not the dogmas.
Yes the catholic church adopted Vatican II in the 60's but this is not a change of dogma.

Nonsense. Science and Dogma are the imperfect workings of men, they are both subject to the same change or the same stagnancy. . . er, stagnicity. Stagnificent . . . uh, bullshit.

1.In Atheism there are not dogma like Catholicism , Protestantism , Orthodoxy etc...
Yes at the atheists there are the cultural christian , jewish atheist , secular humanist etc... but these things are not dogmas.

2.We can't consider these people like Atheists because they believe in supernatural.

3.This is not a belief , this is a lack of belief. Do you know that in grammar it does exist a thing named negation ?

4.This is not Hitchins the correct speeling is Hitchens. They are not leaders of Atheism because you're not obligate to follow what they say.
But if you're Catholic you must obay to Pope and if you're protestant you must obay to your minister.

5.Do you know the main difference between the two ?