Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact
Ok, stop right there! now consider some facts and this discussion is over.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
(07-07-2013 12:51 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  People have a tendency towards that group mindset.

And it is entirely evolutionary.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-07-2013, 08:20 AM
(07-07-2013 01:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  [quote='viocjit' pid='335595' dateline='1373225990']

Belief that there is no God is a belief.
Webster's is your friend......or could be. You need a definition of a belief and faith. You also need to know the difference between facts and faith.
08-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Atheism is only a religion in a very limited sense. You need to employ a peculiar definition of religion to include atheism.

If you define religion as any attempt to explain the relationship between man and the supernatural, you could conceivably include atheism in such a definition. My take is that atheism does not believe in the supernatural and therefore there is no such relationship. That's how I define it. That is my "religion," using that very peculiar definition.

Seeing as most religion includes a belief in the supernatural by definition, atheism is excluded as a religious belief. In that regard, calling atheism a religion is like trying to figure out whether Buddhism falls under the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or Protestant traditions of Christianity.

Some say "atheism is a religion like baldness is a hair color."
Others say "atheism is a religion like baldness is a hairstyle."

When it comes to church v. state issues, I prefer to think of atheism as a religion. I do not want the U.S. government sponsoring a monument declaring as fact the non-existence of God, anymore than I want a monument erected to the 10 Commandments. Government should not be in that business, and we're all better off that way.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Atheism does not fall under the dictionary definition of religion. Therefore, it is not a religion.

08-07-2013, 09:58 AM
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?

Not sure I would say that any iteration of the term "atheism" qualifies as a religion. But there are certainly people out there who have taken their lack of belief into something new.

They are groups and communities, and not all groups or communities are good or helpful or contribute a positive return to society.

I'll go ahead and say this (if it hasn't already been said), Communism in Russia was a state of no religion (and has been called an atheist state). In some sense, that is true. But it didn't operate off of its atheism at the government level. It operated off of its political persuasion and turned that political view into something like a religion. Atheism's role in that was to allow for Stalin to purge the state religion of christianity, and turn the state into a religion.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I attended a meeting a few months back. It wasn't a church group or anything like that. Just a bunch of folks hanging out, chatting, and enjoying the company of the guest of honor.

Gentleman by the name of James Randi.

They meet every month. I have not been back, more as a function of time and availability than anything else. In this world full of people who gather weekly to affirm each other over their belief in a fairy tale, it was good for me (especially as a new atheist) to know that there was a place I could go to where I could affirm my belief in logic, reason and science, where I could be open about the emotional effect of "losing my religion" and get some personal encouragement from the knowledge that I am not alone.

You want to call that a church? Feel free. It's not. But it has its parallels.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
08-07-2013, 10:50 AM
What is the motivation of a theist to want badly to include Atheism as a religion? To ignore all recognized accepted defines of religion and Atheism? hmm.......It is like the shaman of the vatican performing their magic to saint(verb) john paul. The followers of the cult ignore logic and reason so that they may reward their ignorance on a world level. OK, enough , we see that you are off base, we see your talent for turning reason on and off like a faucet, however you don't have to attempt to drag us into your fantasy. I have a question for you. Do you guys really believe all that for the truth, or....are you milking the gullibility of the Human race?
08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Would you say that theism is a religion?

08-07-2013, 12:25 PM
(08-07-2013 11:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Would you say that theism is a religion?

No.

I'd say you're a poppyhead. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post