Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 04:20 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(08-07-2013 04:05 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:02 PM)childeye Wrote:  If one defines the term "religion" as a "man made perspective of God", then atheism is a religion in my view.

That is not the definition of religion. If it were, Buddhism and Satanism would not be considered religions.
Actually, Buddhists do have a perspective of God or Truth or enlightenment. Satanists definitely have a perspective of God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 04:27 PM
(08-07-2013 04:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This discussion is silly. By its very definition, atheism isn't a religion. It's a lack of a religion. If anything, it's a way of thinking.

When your TV is turned off, is "off" a thing? A status of the TV? Yes, of course. But, is "off" a channel? No, that's silly. For your TV to display a channel, it must be turned on.

Atheism is a lack of TV channels.
Respectfully, I believe you are conflating religion with God. However, oftentimes so does Atheism. Fundamentally, whether one claims no religion or claims one, what we believe to be True will govern our reasoning. This is a fact of life, there are politics.
08-07-2013, 04:29 PM
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?
Atheism has become a cause, but not a religion. It's no more a religion than the civil rights movement is. People are organizing in support of the cause of atheism and to find other like-minded individuals to socialize with and learn from. Atheism contains no deity or devotion to the supernatural which is what separates it from religion.

(Forgive me if I repeated what has already been said. No time at the moment so I didn't read the whole thread.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
(08-07-2013 04:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  Actually, Buddhists do have a perspective of God or Truth or enlightenment. Satanists definitely have a perspective of God.

I have already told you that perspective is not indicative of religion.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-07-2013, 04:36 PM
(08-07-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I believe you are conflating religion with God. However, oftentimes so does Atheism. Fundamentally, whether one claims no religion or claims one, what we believe to be True will govern our reasoning. This is a fact of life, there are politics.

I'm not conflating it with God. I'm conflating it with God, god, causes, and beliefs bound together by faith.

Atheism is a system of thinking that rejects faith and is founded on evidence, testable results, and logic.

It is a wholly different system.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
(08-07-2013 04:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  Actually, Buddhists do have a perspective of God or Truth or enlightenment. Satanists definitely have a perspective of God.

I have already told you that perspective is not indicative of religion.
I must disagree. All religions are perspectives and beliefs of what is Truth.
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
(08-07-2013 04:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I have already told you that perspective is not indicative of religion.
I must disagree. All religions are perspectives and beliefs of what is Truth.
Then you'd be disagreeing with a few reputable dictionaries.
Encyclopedia Britannica
Dictionary of Cambridge
Farflex Dictionary
Dictionary.com
Dictionary of Oxford
Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Wikipedia

Stop attempting to redefine the meaning of words in order to justify your belief. Instead, look up the proper word and definition for different viewpoints.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
(08-07-2013 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I believe you are conflating religion with God. However, oftentimes so does Atheism. Fundamentally, whether one claims no religion or claims one, what we believe to be True will govern our reasoning. This is a fact of life, there are politics.

I'm not conflating it with God. I'm conflating it with God, god, causes, and beliefs bound together by faith.

Atheism is a system of thinking that rejects faith and is founded on evidence, testable results, and logic.

It is a wholly different system.
Respectfully, your use of the term faith is confounding to me. There is no system of thinking that rejects faith without misunderstanding or misapplying the meaning of the term. "Faith" is synonymous with "trust". No scientist ever seeks knowledge without first believing that such knowledge exists to be found. That is, a scientist must trust or have faith that he can improve upon his ignorance. Faith however, is not synonymous with superstition or imaginations. Empathy and the associated human behavior is already acknowledged as a fact of life. The question of whether there is a god or not, is simply therefore a misapplication of the term "God". God is viewed as the superstitions of ancient men rather than the empathy for one another that we should all feel and cherish. Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.
08-07-2013, 05:16 PM
(08-07-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.

Oh, here we go... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
(08-07-2013 05:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.

Oh, here we go... Dodgy

I think this applies... at least for me.
[Image: tumblr_lzijt8llxH1qhnr1lo1_500.gif]

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like yumeji's post