Has atheism become religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
RE: Has atheism become religion?
(08-07-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm not conflating it with God. I'm conflating it with God, god, causes, and beliefs bound together by faith.

Atheism is a system of thinking that rejects faith and is founded on evidence, testable results, and logic.

It is a wholly different system.
Respectfully, your use of the term faith is confounding to me. There is no system of thinking that rejects faith without misunderstanding or misapplying the meaning of the term. "Faith" is synonymous with "trust". No scientist ever seeks knowledge without first believing that such knowledge exists to be found. That is, a scientist must trust or have faith that he can improve upon his ignorance. Faith however, is not synonymous with superstition or imaginations. Empathy and the associated human behavior is already acknowledged as a fact of life. The question of whether there is a god or not, is simply therefore a misapplication of the term "God". God is viewed as the superstitions of ancient men rather than the empathy for one another that we should all feel and cherish. Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.
ROFL....Faith is a belief based on hearsay evidence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy's post
08-07-2013, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 08:48 PM by childeye.)
(08-07-2013 04:54 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  I must disagree. All religions are perspectives and beliefs of what is Truth.
Then you'd be disagreeing with a few reputable dictionaries.
Encyclopedia Britannica
Dictionary of Cambridge
Farflex Dictionary
Dictionary.com
Dictionary of Oxford
Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Wikipedia

Stop attempting to redefine the meaning of words in order to justify your belief. Instead, look up the proper word and definition for different viewpoints.
Sorry, but I respectfully must disagree again. All of these dictionaries you provided do qualify my use of the term. Note: the Encyclopedia Britannica; in more humanistic or naturalistic forms of religion, they are expressed in terms of one’s relationship with or attitudes toward the broader human community or the natural world. This speaks to atheism quite well in my view.
Note: The Farflex dictionary; 4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
Quote:Stop attempting to redefine the meaning of words in order to justify your belief. Instead, look up the proper word and definition for different viewpoints.
If I may suggest to you a thought about language. Dictionaries do not dictate language, nor do they make people right or wrong when trying their honest best to communicate. They offer many definitions for one word according to how a word is commonly used. Buddhism is commonly recognized as a religion even though they do not care to define their belief as a worship of God. But that is understandable since the Buddha was raised in an environment with many so called gods. Nonetheless the Buddha was a theist.

What I am trying to say is there is a moral Truth that exists as empathy. All people should acknowledge this Spirit. The bible does, so what's wrong with that? It's people who have usurped this Truth for personal stature and gain who defile and slander what has always been a persons' moral center.
08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
(08-07-2013 05:32 PM)Buddy Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, your use of the term faith is confounding to me. There is no system of thinking that rejects faith without misunderstanding or misapplying the meaning of the term. "Faith" is synonymous with "trust". No scientist ever seeks knowledge without first believing that such knowledge exists to be found. That is, a scientist must trust or have faith that he can improve upon his ignorance. Faith however, is not synonymous with superstition or imaginations. Empathy and the associated human behavior is already acknowledged as a fact of life. The question of whether there is a god or not, is simply therefore a misapplication of the term "God". God is viewed as the superstitions of ancient men rather than the empathy for one another that we should all feel and cherish. Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.
ROFL....Faith is a belief based on hearsay evidence.
Can't say I can totally agree with that use of the term. It proposes a contradiction of sorts. I cannot simply simulate trust from hearsay. What if the person is a liar? However, I must have faith in someone or something as True or suffer the slavery of paranoia and other such insanity. So exactly where did you hear this hearsay that faith was trusting hearsay?
08-07-2013, 05:59 PM
(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  Dictionaries do not dictate language, nor do they make people right or wrong when trying their honest best to communicate.

So, what does "dictate language?"

(08-07-2013 05:44 PM)childeye Wrote:  What I am trying to say is there is a moral Truth that exists as empathy.

Yeah, thought so. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 06:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-07-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  No scientist ever seeks knowledge without first believing that such knowledge exists to be found. That is, a scientist must trust or have faith that he can improve upon his ignorance. Faith however, is not synonymous with superstition or imaginations. Empathy and the associated human behavior is already acknowledged as a fact of life. The question of whether there is a god or not, is simply therefore a misapplication of the term "God". God is viewed as the superstitions of ancient men rather than the empathy for one another that we should all feel and cherish. Atheism is a fundamental contradiction based on the denial of a moral axiom called Love.

Wrong again, Childish.

1. You need to look up the "null hypothesis", before you sermonize on what scientists do, or do not do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_hypothesis

2. Your "misapplication of the word 'god' " business is what the meaning has come to be, in 2013, for *some* people, (and perhaps for many subliminally, in general). NOT for many others, (including Fundamentalists who still insist the term refers to an actual, real "being in heaven"). Your way is not the way the term is used in common usage, as Logica has pointed out to you. YOU don't get to (re) define a word, and stomp you foot, and demand that meaning be applied to everyone, because you have decided that's what it means to you. Therefore what "atheism" means to you, and what it means to most all atheists is not the same thing. YOU don't get to define words, until you are the chief editor of the OED, (and even she/he has to research the meanings).

3. Love is not a "moral axiom". After a gazillion pages of crap from your other thread, no one is going through that shit again. It may be to you. Great. Stop telling other people what they mean when they use language. You are not the Language Pope. Who died and made you language czar ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
(08-07-2013 05:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:32 PM)Buddy Wrote:  ROFL....Faith is a belief based on hearsay evidence.
Can't say I can totally agree with that use of the term. It proposes a contradiction of sorts. I cannot simply simulate trust from hearsay. What if the person is a liar? However, I must have faith in someone or something as True or suffer the slavery of paranoia and other such insanity. So exactly where did you hear this hearsay that faith was trusting hearsay?
Ha, you can't agree with facts? Then the popes and cardinals await your contributions, and will keep your faith well fed with their shamanistic séances.
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
(08-07-2013 04:29 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:34 PM)Raven11 Wrote:  Considering the fact that many atheists are starting to act like this is a religion to them. From atheist churches, defending the lack of belief, insulting those who aren't atheists, all the way down to the atheist monument.
Has atheism become a religion, why or why not?
Atheism has become a cause, but not a religion. It's no more a religion than the civil rights movement is. People are organizing in support of the cause of atheism and to find other like-minded individuals to socialize with and learn from. Atheism contains no deity or devotion to the supernatural which is what separates it from religion.

(Forgive me if I repeated what has already been said. No time at the moment so I didn't read the whole thread.)
A well stated thought in my opinion. My only grievance is that you seem unaware that all people are subject to knowledge and ignorance. The civil rights movement was as much about serving empathy as any other movement that seeks justice. We all serve God or that which is perceived as good for all of us. To do otherwise is hypocritical reasoning. We all serve Love as the moral imperative. Therefore you do have a devotion to this Spirit which scripture identifies as eternal.
08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
(08-07-2013 06:07 PM)Buddy Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Can't say I can totally agree with that use of the term. It proposes a contradiction of sorts. I cannot simply simulate trust from hearsay. What if the person is a liar? However, I must have faith in someone or something as True or suffer the slavery of paranoia and other such insanity. So exactly where did you hear this hearsay that faith was trusting hearsay?
Ha, you can't agree with facts? Then the popes and cardinals await your contributions, and will keep your faith well fed with their shamanistic séances.
No, I must agree with facts or be ignorant. That's a fact. I don't trust hearsay is what I said. I don't know what you mean by shamanistic séances. Faith to me is not blind trust or superstition.
08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
(08-07-2013 06:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 06:07 PM)Buddy Wrote:  Ha, you can't agree with facts? Then the popes and cardinals await your contributions, and will keep your faith well fed with their shamanistic séances.
No, I must agree with facts or be ignorant. That's a fact. I don't trust hearsay is what I said. I don't know what you mean by shamanistic séances. Faith to me is not blind trust or superstition.
You contradicted yourself.
[+] 2 users Like Buddy's post
08-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Faith is belief without evidence, plain and simple. AKA Blind Trust.

Merrium Webster:

Faith:
2: "firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post