Has losing your faith made it harder to enjoy some things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Has losing your faith made it harder to enjoy some things?
For example: Tonight the Tony awards were on TV and one of the performances on the show was from a musical called "Leap of Faith". Now, when I first heard the title of the show, I kind of rolled my eyes and couldn't take any of the musical seriously because of the subject matter, even though the beat was catchy and the choreography was amazing. I'm a stage manager and, in the past, have appreciated a show for it's good qualities even if I don't agree completely with the overall message. Now, I find myself unable to be so removed. I've always been skeptical about there being a personal God but I've more recently gotten to the point where I think about it actively and have started speaking out about my lack of belief, causing it to be on my mind more often and for it to have a bigger impact on my day to day living.

I'm interested in seeing how many people have noticed things like this popping up in their lives and how they feel about the changes. Honestly, I'm kind of sad to find that I now have this awareness so I can't enjoy everything like I used to but, at the same time, I would never want to go back to ignorance or to just believing something because everyone else tells me to. Maybe it's kind of like cartoons. You can still watch them even in adulthood, but they lose that magic that they once had when you were a child.

Thoughts?

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?~ Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes haniccol's post
11-06-2012, 06:02 AM
RE: Has losing your faith made it harder to enjoy some things?
Welcome to the forum Big Grin

Harder to enjoy something? Not really. I still enjoy certain hymns, very calming and beautiful in a sense. The Bible now acts as a storybook more of a rulebook, which makes it more enjoyable in the sense that reading it becomes more comical and less "praise the Lord". Parables of Jesus still interest me. I remember the homily session in the past when I still went to church. More of a stand-up comedy, yet insightful. The priest focused on how to do good, and promoted harmony between religions and races. That's for religious things for me.

Non-religious things? Even better. When I see the beauty of flora and fauna, I appreciate how they came into being even more through the knowledge of natural selection. Imagine how as a species they strive and adapt, and lived to this day. The skies and all it's glory at night, another example which makes you reflect on how insignificant you are. The beauty of the natural world can be enjoyed in both ways. Simply, by simple marveling at its beauty. Or in depth, where you appreciate its mechanisms and origins.

The magic is not gone, but the burden is.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
11-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Hey, Haniccol.

Hey, man, sometimes things just aint your thing. If someone put up Atlas Shrugged the musical, I'd probably eat my own shit before going to see it.

Ideally, one should be able to go out and see art and appreciate it for what it is, on it's terms, but sometimes we wind up judging it on our terms and don't like it for that reason. Who knows, maybe there would be a line where Ayn Rand's words moved the cockles of my heart, but I feel no need to find out. Like that bad mother fucker once said, sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I won't know cuz I aint gonna eat the filthy mother fucker.

Honestly, it's not the most enlightened position. It really isn't. But sometimes we have prejudices that we can't negotiate well enough to be open to new ideas. It happens. You at least have the wisdom to recognise what is occurring and that's worth a lot. Real talk. If it's bugging you that much, check it out and see if you like it. If you don't, you don't.

If you wanna get fancy, in "The Work of Art in the Age of its Technological Reproducibility" Walter Benjamin discusses the idea of ritual value vs exhibitional value. A cave painting, for example, is not meant to be displayed. There's was no cro-magnon turnstile. It was meant to be a part of that people's rituals. Today, much art is designed not to be a part of a particular group's rituals, but to be exhibited and endlessly reproduced. I mention this because you spoke of the former ability to separate out content, a skill that is of benefit in a world of reproduced, culturally disconnected and idealised art. To you, the content was not as important as the craft, the rules of which you had universalised in your mind. It's OK to find the content of a work important. It harkens back to a time when art was used in ritual. Benjamin also offers this:

Quote:... as soon as the criterion of authenticity ceases to be applied to artistic production, the whole social function of art is revolitionized. Instead of being founded on ritual, it is based on a different practice: politics.
-Walter Benjamin

Most importantly, I still love me some cartoons Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
11-06-2012, 06:39 AM
I do see what you mean, but I think it's a phase. You are apparently just coming to grips with your own atheism, and at that stage religious things can unsettle you. They can even make you angry.

If you just started being verbal and aware of your atheism, religious tom-foolery will jump at you everywhere you encounter it. It will be dominant because atheism is dominant in your mind.

In time, atheism will not define you anymore, other things will be more important and atheism will be just one more thing that is a part of making you who you are.

When I travel, I go inside old churches and admire the architecture. I even enjoyed going to the catholic christmas midnight mass a few years ago - the choir was impressive.

I still get annoyed at stupid things religious people will say, but it doesn't affect the appreciation of art at all.

And I most certainly admire the fauna and flora like robot says. It's amazing, so many things evolving to be so finely tuned to existance.

I think your irritation will pass.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I consider the opposite. Having faith seems to make stuff less enjoyable. Prophet is a suck job. Tongue

I see what you're saying, but I've always been atheistic like that. Like when there's "faith" in the title or religion in the undertone. I've always done the cringing thing. It's icky. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I never had any faith to begin with. I have been on my factory settings since birth.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
11-06-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 09:52 AM by kim.)
(11-06-2012 06:39 AM)Dom Wrote:  In time, atheism will not define you anymore, other things will be more important and atheism will be just one more thing that is a part of making you who you are.

Yea, me & Frankiej - heathen purity in the flesh - Dom is the bomb - "... just one more thing..." - that's it right there. Give it time; it'll blend.

So, you get a ... "new hairdo"; you feel different, you look different, people walk around saying, "I can't get over it - you're so different!" You're not different at all; perception slightly altered because of the addition or subtraction of something palpable. A perspective unburdened gives one greater vantage points - a plethora of newly discovered facets to enjoy along with the knowledge of what came before.

Consider Empathy and compassion can always use a bit of dusting off... otherwise resentment can take up slack even in a fulfilling world... just a thought.

I love Jesus Christ Superstar! I know all the songs and I love the movie, too - with Ted Neely and Yvonne Elliman.
Mary M's so sad and bittersweet when she's getting on the bus after everything that's happened... Damn! Powerful stuff -well done and it really gets me where I live. Thumbsup

I also loved Hamlet 2!! I know I won't be able to get that fucking song out of my head the rest of the day unless I listen to it all the way through. Dodgy
Soooo...

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Losing my faith has made it more difficult to get laid. Blush

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
(11-06-2012 10:01 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Losing my faith has made it more difficult to get laid. Blush

Probably cause you haven't used that line. Rolleyes

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-06-2012, 10:29 AM
(11-06-2012 09:48 AM)kim Wrote:  Yea, me & Frankiej - heathen purity in the flesh
Yes. When I was five I started to argue with my creationist Gran about dinosaurs. You never tell a little boy who has dozens of books about them that they aren't real. Tongue At that age dinosaurs are too cool not to have existed.

I remember once in school, I must have been about 8 or 9, I learned the word oppression. So, when we were made to pray at assembly and I would get yelled at for not lowering my head I used to yell "OPPRESSION! OPPRESSION!".. safe to say that it just got me in more trouble. I was an interesting child.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 4 users Like frankiej's post