Has losing your faith made it harder to enjoy some things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: Has losing your faith made it harder to enjoy some things?
I won't say I don't enjoy things that I used to. I very much still enjoy the singing (trying not to brag, but I'm a pretty good Bass) and still occasionally go with my grandma or parents when I am home for vacation or back during holidays. I do miss communicating with many of my friends. Many of them have stopped communication as they have slowly learned my new-ish public stance on religion. But then I guess they were truely never good friends if they let religion come between us.

But I can understand what you are saying and I agree with a few of the earlier posts, I would think it's more of a phase or adjustment period. But I don't know you so I can't say that definitively. My suggestion is take it at face value, and if it seems less enjoyable, replace it with something else. Good luck.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
11-06-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't lose out on things I enjoy, even when they are very religious.

Love Mumford and Sons. My favorite song is Sigh No More. Read the lyrics. The dudes are creationists by the sounds of it. But they express their belief with great lyrics, and those fuckers can wail!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Here are a few thoughts I had on this:

1) First & foremost, Ghost, I'm going to steal this line because it's wonderful: "I'd probably eat my own shit before going to see it."

2) Losing my faith made me lose interest/enjoyment in some things (sports for example) but those loses were replaced by other things that are exponentially more interesting, stimulating, productive (and I still watch some sporting events but no longer let my time or emotions get consumed by spectator sports).

3) Even though I have absolutely no belief in god, the afterlife, etc I still listen to all sorts of songs that reference that kind of material (e.g. George Harrison solo stuff, Paradise by John Prine, various Tribe Called Quest tracks, etc.) And you know what, the songs still sound as awesome as they ever did. And eventually, I plan on covering each and everyone of these theistic songs only with totally secular alternative lyrics!

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
11-06-2012, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 09:38 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Actually, it's been quite the opposite for me.

Before, when I used to look up at the moon, there was no wonderment. The moon was there because it was supposed to be because God put it there. Now I look at the moon and realize that I'm staring at a giant rock reflecting the light of a massive fireball, all hurtling through the mind boggling vastness of space. Reality is humbling and mind expanding, while religion is comforting and exists to put your mind at ease.

Also, as a Christian, I couldn't really enjoy anything fully because the guilt was always there. The unsettling feeling that whatever you were doing was displeasing to God. Now I take advantage of the freedom of my short, insignificant life and absorb every experience willingly.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
In god, no. In people, yes Weeping

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Not really, I still enjoy religious music and art. In fact I am able to enjoy it more as I now see it for what it really is - art created by extremely talented men, for men who paid them. I am more able to enjoy doing the things I like without being made to feel guilty about the whole experience.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met