Has something gone wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Has something gone wrong?
I'm a big nerd. I used to do the "standard" nerd conventions. I went to anime and comics conventions mostly, but I did at least on science fiction based one. I still get all the emails inviting me to come out and meet movie stars, etc.

Now I live a "short." drive from Dallas (2 hours) and am really trying to go to the "300th Episode" event, but this morning I realized I would rather go to this event and hopefully meet Seth, David, Matt and Aron then go to a comic con and meet the "lesser" Marvel movie stars. Now I know part of it is that I've done the other, but never gone to a big Atheist gig.

I'm a little worried that this might be a sign I'm getting a bit too "into" the movement. On the other hand it might be that I'm hoping that these "heroes" are on a smaller scale and that might lead to a chance to actually speak to them instead of a quick sentence and photo.

Have I fallen off the deep end? Or is this just a normal exuberance?

Either way I really hope to make it to Dallas in November! Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Riff.Freelance's post
09-09-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Has something gone wrong?
I have been to two book signings by Seth in Dallas hosted by FoF. Aron Ra was there too. They were fun experiences with a lot of nice people. Aron and Seth are very approachable, will sign things, take pics with you, talk to you, etc.

This will be a bigger event with more of a convention feel but it's being hosted by the same group. I have my ticket. I think it will be an enjoyable day.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-09-2016, 09:54 AM
(09-09-2016 09:23 AM)Riff.Freelance Wrote:  I'm a big nerd. I used to do the "standard" nerd conventions. I went to anime and comics conventions mostly, but I did at least on science fiction based one. I still get all the emails inviting me to come out and meet movie stars, etc.

Now I live a "short." drive from Dallas (2 hours) and am really trying to go to the "300th Episode" event, but this morning I realized I would rather go to this event and hopefully meet Seth, David, Matt and Aron then go to a comic con and meet the "lesser" Marvel movie stars. Now I know part of it is that I've done the other, but never gone to a big Atheist gig.

I'm a little worried that this might be a sign I'm getting a bit too "into" the movement. On the other hand it might be that I'm hoping that these "heroes" are on a smaller scale and that might lead to a chance to actually speak to them instead of a quick sentence and photo.

Have I fallen off the deep end? Or is this just a normal exuberance?

Either way I really hope to make it to Dallas in November! Cheers!

Maybe you are growing away from the hero thing and into a more rational environment?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-09-2016, 10:12 AM
The devil has you in his grip. Facepalm
May Jebus have mercy on your soul.

Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2016, 06:32 AM
I differentiate between famous people and YouTube famous. YouTube famous being the more important Smile
I've spent more time watching some of my favorite YouTube channels than I have watching television in the last ten years or so. Plus, YouTube and podcasts are more intimate than typical scripted content and often represent more personal risk and effort.

I attended my first skeptics convention last year and managed to get photos with the three people I really considered famous there. They were Susan Gerbic of guerilla skepticism on Wikipedia fame, Miles Powers, and the pièce de résistance: Eugenie Scott

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.