Has the internet ruined honest debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2012, 03:07 AM
RE: Has the internet ruined honest debate?
I have two things to say about this:
1. I like a debate and I like the opportunity that I have in a forum debate. I can check sources and find more information before I answer. I love it, I suck in rl debates because I don't have an academic education and don't know everything. So, for example here, I like that I can look things up and don't look stupid just for not knowing the answer straight away. Can't see a negative to this.
2. But of course the people,who do not really look it up but just take the first link that comes up on the google search as the ultimate ressource, are annoying.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
21-05-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 06:21 AM by bemore.)
Before the internet.......

Sources were limited and more controlled....... you could only hear ONE opinion coming from the mainstream media on occurences going on around the world...... with a few fringe groups offering alternatives.

The same could be said for anything "educational"

None of us would of connected like we do now........ I wouldnt be sharing my opinions and thoughts in this manner and would of been limited to my social interactions for any further development/stagnation of my inside/world views.

Honest debate???? Truth is relevant to the observer.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
22-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I agree and also disagree with the OP. I feel that the OP only shows one side of the story. While yes, the Internet has birthed droves of Google scholars, some of these "scholars" do it the right and honest way. The Internet, specifically Google, can be an awesome tool of education. There are credible sources to be had. This is why it pains me when someone resorts to the silly rebuttal that attacks another's use of Google. It's worth attacking if say they are quote mining, pulling information straight out of a Wiki (wiki has good references though), or pulling their information from a site that shares their bias.

I Google religiously. I use YouTube daily to listen to lectures from the Astronomers that I admire. I pick up a lot of valuable information. However, my mind simply cannot absorb all this info verbatim. Google is required for specific points or terminology. I find nothing wrong with utilizing Google in this manner. I think it's wrong if you make claim to it like it's an original thought.

I rather enjoy Internet debates and while I might seem at times to be one who desires only to have the last word or "win", those are not my intent. I want to learn.

But yes, the OP is completely relevant and true a LOT of the times. Just not ALL of the time.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
23-05-2012, 05:37 AM
"The internet has ruined honest debate."

Hmm...

"These electric screwdrivers have ruined the honest act of manual screwdriving."

I don't agree with either of these statements for the same reason. The internet and screwdrivers are tools.

Poor use of either of these tools by enthusiastic DIY experts or inexperienced debaters will likely result in a negative outcome.

We're able to communicate instantly with the entire world and have access to the greatest repository of knowledge ever assembled in human history. Neither of these things are bad.

Websites are tools too, if the website is largely unmoderated and populated by children then one can expect childish behaviour. If it's intelligently moderated, well laid out and populated by a broad spectrum of ages and viewpoints, you can expect good debate.

I'm sure I can find a defunct geocities site to support this if you don't belive me Wink

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 2 users Like Shannow's post
24-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Where can I find these internet debating sites? I would really like to have a debate with some Christian or something just to see what its like.

Are they chat things, or just forums like this?
27-05-2012, 03:22 AM
It might be a misguided expectation to have Universally accepted ideas come about because of the Internet.

Ideas are getting spread around more easily so... I don't know... what is happening to opinions?

Things seem to be changing more quickly now than they did before. Peoples points of views can change more quickly with more access to information. Now we get to see things from other cultural viewpoints.

Perhaps we will eventually arrive at a more universally accepted viewpoints though it might just be happening more slowly that the OP expects. Change takes allot of effort.

The abundance of information can lead to people being desensitised to information. There is too much of it so allot of it gets tuned out. More prone to bias.
Points of view are flexible - easy to Google and find someone who agrees or disagrees.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss