Has there been progress in human history in the ‘absolute’ sense?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2011, 04:35 AM
RE: Has there been progress in human history in the ‘absolute’ sense?
I agree with Zatamon. In the end, we always go through the same cycles, break 'em up and start over again with a lil bit more technology, sure, but with the same bastards as leaders and the same destiny.
Thanks to technology the cycles may last longer, cause we destroy even more than ever before every single time we start again. It needs so much more than some clerisies to break the cycles for real.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2011, 06:14 PM
The only way we as a species are going to improve is if we do it ourselves and drop the whole "morals" idea. Not to sound cold but we really haven't been helping our species as of late. What with the whole slapping natural selection in the face and failure to eradicate general stupidity. And then we have the middle east to deal with..."sigh" the middle east "facepalm". We are getting ever closer to genetic manipulation. Once that takes off we will truley be able to make our species better...or we all die due to some horrible side effect Dodgy

So no. We really haven't impoved much as a species.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
22-09-2011, 06:42 PM

(22-09-2011 06:14 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  ..or we all die due to some horrible side effect Dodgy

the most likely outcome, I am sure!

Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2011, 11:45 AM

I think your initial question is inherently flawed. "Progress in the absolute sense" implies there is some (any) sort of teleological flavour to the universe or human existence. There is nothing to indicate that there is is - and, indeed, you'd need a few gods around to deliver it, if there were to be. Which would be an ironic sort of implicit assumption, given the forum we're in. Smile
26-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, where does the arrogant assumption that we somehow should have "more" come from, as if we are entitled to live longer, be healthier, etc.? Humans dominate the planet now, and probably to the planets detriment. Why do we feel we should be progressing even further?

This thread reminds me of a great line at the end of the movie No Country For Old Men: "You can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you, that's vanity."

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-09-2011, 07:39 AM

(26-09-2011 07:17 AM)BnW Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, where does the arrogant assumption that we somehow should have "more" come from, as if we are entitled ....

To satisfy your curiosity, BnW, no one mentioned 'entitlement'.

The OP of the thread raised a question -- it was the result of the same curiosity as yours.

Smile
26-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Our progress is so fragile as well......if something happened that removed our technology and infrastructure and threw us back into the dark ages then we would be back to being "civilised" savages that have to overcome a sense of "morals" to survive. I wonder how many generations it would take in these new enviroments that would lose everything that we know/are today...or to radically change aspects of life we hold dear and take for granted...not many im guessing.

If you was to place one of these 1st or 2nd generation "savages" with one of our more prehistoric ancestors I wonder how they would compare???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Here's the history of human civilization:

Agriculture.
The written word.
Now.

In an isolated corner of the universe, a blinking cursor awaits the impetus of finger to cross an expanse of white. Doing what?

Evolution.

Nothing matters in the past twelve thousand years of human civilization as much as the next second. Why?

Simulation.

The mind that simulates the mind of another. The avatar that communicates globally, instantaneously. The number, seven billion. And this; number made flesh, brother of Adam.

We can fall
all
the way back
into the trees
but the four
has been achieved
from the three

progress in the human sense
i ask myself
why should i care
progress in the universal
does not encode wealth
does not concede despair
progress in the past
marks the coronation of a king
builds the tomb of the deposed
progress in the universal
once winter thus one more spring
thus eukaryota geometry once proposed
is now
questioning the metric
of the universe
and all the future that remains
is five

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2011, 09:21 AM
(26-09-2011 08:40 AM)bemore Wrote:  Our progress is so fragile as well......if something happened that removed our technology and infrastructure and threw us back into the dark ages then we would be back to being "civilised" savages that have to overcome a sense of "morals" to survive. I wonder how many generations it would take in these new enviroments that would lose everything that we know/are today...or to radically change aspects of life we hold dear and take for granted...not many im guessing.

If you was to place one of these 1st or 2nd generation "savages" with one of our more prehistoric ancestors I wonder how they would compare???

I find such scenarios ridiculous. As if somehow, all our technology stopped working and the infrastructure suddenly collapsed.
Yah and then what? The zombies come of course?

Can we move back to reality?
25-11-2011, 10:29 AM

(25-11-2011 09:21 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I find such scenarios ridiculous.

Suggestion: read "Climate Wars" by Gwynne Dyer (world class historian) -- he will give you a few scenarios to think about. Rolleyes