Has there been progress in human history in the ‘absolute’ sense?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2011, 06:38 PM
RE: Has there been progress in human history in the ‘absolute’ sense?
(26-11-2011 03:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-11-2011 11:53 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I can go along with ecology and simulation, but give me some examples for a collective consciousness.

How could I be Ezekiel without a collective consciousness, atheist? Big Grin

Um...Cuz you're not??? Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-11-2011, 09:30 PM

(25-11-2011 05:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  With the virtually boundless limits of the universe, there is virtually no limit to what Homo Sapiens could become.

And that includes 'extinct' as a definite possibility. In my opinion, at the rate we are going, far more probable than Start Trek. Besides, would you want us to infect the entire Galaxy, should we be able to travel there?

Right now we are safely quarantined on this pale blue dot and may never get off of it.

The book (and movie) "The world without us" gives you a sobering description of how soon Gaia would recover, once we are gone.
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 09:47 PM
(26-11-2011 09:30 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  And that includes 'extinct' as a definite possibility.

So?

Perhaps it is better to consider "ellenjanuary" an entirely separate species, but today I have seen that name written in the quantum foam. That's the problem with "we."

I have identity.
You have identity.

All of us invest the identifier "humanity" with sense of self. My investment is the number 4. Call this species what you will, it cannot be worse nor less than ellenjanuary. And there it is.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2011, 10:36 PM
(26-11-2011 09:30 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(25-11-2011 05:02 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  With the virtually boundless limits of the universe, there is virtually no limit to what Homo Sapiens could become.

And that includes 'extinct' as a definite possibility. In my opinion, at the rate we are going, far more probable than Start Trek. Besides, would you want us to infect the entire Galaxy, should we be able to travel there?

Right now we are safely quarantined on this pale blue dot and may never get off of it.

The book (and movie) "The world without us" gives you a sobering description of how soon Gaia would recover, once we are gone.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you, Zatamon, that extinction is a distinct possibility. How many species have come and gone in 4 billion years? What if the Neanderthal had out adapted Homo Sapiens? But they didn't. We are the only Human species that survived. Given how long it's been since a comet or asteroid has cratered the earth or moon, is it a possibility to happen again in the future in a catastrophic way? Yes, indeed. If we do survive, by the grace of God Cool, does that make us an infection to the Galaxy or does it make us eager to always be adapting? But I don't think you have to go to a Star Trek version of Pollyanna space exploration using magical Warp Speed. I could imagine a scenario that barring war or natural catastrophe, humanity would figure out ways to continue adapting. Is the old saying true that we use only a small portion of our brain power? If so, perhaps future generations centuries ahead could start using slightly more percentages and thus be able to work out even more scientific understanding of our universe. I just imagine that if natural selection has been the driving force where life is always adapting, then homo sapiens will either adapt into a new species or they'll adapt their environment and be able to move out to space stations or moon bases or even Mars. I don't think that's science fiction if you factor in centuries more time for our species to evolve and act, again, barring some very likely catastrophic events, God forbid. Tongue

Your recommendation of The World Without Us Sounds interesting. The History Channel had a series called Life After People. I imagine the same concept of the breakdown of our technology soon after we were removed from the earth. But I wouldn't call that Gaia. I'd just call it the driving force of evolution by natural selection.

LIFE AFTER PEOPLE

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I thought History channel was a government conspiracy. Some of their programming is so rife with agenda you can smell it off the set. Wink

Is this philosophy? Does it make sense to philosophize a life without philosophers? The funny thing is, scripture warns against this kind of behavior. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-11-2011, 09:31 AM
(27-11-2011 09:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I thought History channel was a government conspiracy. Some of their programming is so rife with agenda you can smell it off the set. Wink

Is this philosophy? Does it make sense to philosophize a life without philosophers? The funny thing is, scripture warns against this kind of behavior. Big Grin

If philosophy falls in a forest and there is no philosopher there to think it, does it make a sound?

History Channel is no government conspiracy! They are the only media outlet brave enough to expose the government with their in depth shows on Ancient Aliens and searching for Atlantis!

~Izel
28-11-2011, 11:56 AM
(27-11-2011 09:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I thought History channel was a government conspiracy. Some of their programming is so rife with agenda you can smell it off the set. Wink

Nah the history channel has been changed to a reality TV show, with the occasional historical piece.
Of course, on the off chance something historical comes on, well it turns out the ghosts and the aliens did it.
[+] 2 users Like mysticjbyrd's post