Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2011, 07:41 AM
RE: Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.
Quote:Of course, there's ethical boundaries that shouldn't (but routinely are) crossed and I assure you many Americans don't agree with them. In fact often enough it just blows up in our faces, see Saddam Hussein or the Talebans. Those are people the US helped into power and look at the results!
Yup, I am aware of this, but even if many disagree with these things it's not enough to actually stop them from happening unfortunately.

Quote:Of course! My point was that it's not very rational of, say, Great Britain to hate the US for its imperialism when they have been guilty of it for centuries, and while US so-called imperialism is mostly economic, British imperialism was actually annex those countries, enslave the local population, and suck it dry of all its resources. You know what they say, "doctor heal thyself". I am not saying any of those things is right, what I am saying is that it's irrational and not the least bit hypocritical of, say, the Brits to hate the US for something they did themselves and worse. By that token, they should hate themselves first, before they even bother hating the US.
Agreed, and if these people function anything like I do I guess they do hate what their own country has been doing at least as much as they hate what the US has been doing. There were for example huge protests against the UK joining America in the war in Iraq, which once again did nothing to prevent the politicians to decide they should go in there...

Quote:I guess we disagree on this point, which is fine.
I kind of guessed that would be the case Smile
I am a bit curious though, do you think no country should be charitable to others or is it just that you think that today's politicians are incompetent enough not to be able to care for their own people first and until they do they shouldn't help others?

Quote:Not at all, I am trying to not only discuss why other countries hate America (which is pretty well known) but also how rational and justified that hate is. Is it just cheap rhetoric? In my opinion, often for what Western countries are concerned, it is. Of course if Iraqis hate America all I can say is "you are right!"
Ok, I (finally?) get your point here. I don't quite agree that it's cheap rhetoric since I think anyone should point out hypocrisy and injustice wherever they can and as I've explained in several other posts I guess other people, as well as I, are a bit afraid of what will happen in the future when America decides to start another war or something similar. Of course these fears have declined quite a lot after Bush left office even though nowadays it seems to be all talk and no action instead, which I do prefer to bad actions Big Grin

Also I'd like to add that hate is a very strong word. I would not go so far as to ever say I hated America even though it might have sounded a bit like that from my comments, and I think I've also tried to express that everything I have said have been directed either toward politicians, pundits or the countries foreign policies (starting wars etc) and not to the general population.

Quote:No, I read everything people post. I agree with some of it, which is why I don't bother answering it, it seems a waste of time to write just to post a series of "yes", "I agree", and "you are right".
In that case I take it we agreed to quite a lot then Cool

Filox:
Quote:I have said my case and MAD has good explaining skills, so I will let him do the talking for me, since we agree on this subject.

Also I kinda like to make fun of everything, so it is not just the USA, whatever come in front of me, if it deserves me making fun of it, I do it.
Thanks, then you can be the Diplomatizer while I'll be the X-plainer... maybe we can start our own superhero team Tongue

I also agree with your last statement, I try to not take anything too seriously. Sometimes I get too involved in discussions but it usually doesn't take too long before I realize it and start making jokes again Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Diplomatizer and X-plainer AWAAAAAAAAAY...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-09-2011, 06:02 PM
(10-09-2011 02:53 AM)Filox Wrote:  but I do mean that a country as strong as USA could do even better if those BSers from your government were a bit more concerned for USA citizens and the rest of the world instead of filling their pockets with money they will never be able to spend...
Ehe, how do you think us living here feel about the BSing politicians stuffing their pockets? Smile

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
16-09-2011, 04:31 AM
(08-09-2011 05:40 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Watching Barrack Obama's presidential address to congress

Republicans refuse to clap for the most of what Barrack Obama says... but when he says:

We will always remain, one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!

And he gets a standing ovation from the entire floor on congress.. I didn't know we always were one nation under god indivisible... I thought we've only been that since 1954 Undecided

The exact same things happened to Bush, what's your point?

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
16-09-2011, 11:12 AM
[video=googlevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjwMMlUhCQ[/video]

This is a joke, if I offend..sorry

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
31-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I am not American. I do not hate the USA, and I don't know a single person who does.
Sometimes I get the feeling that the American media WANTS the Americans to feel alone and under threat at all times.

I know plenty of people who didn't like George W. and his political views, but that doesn't mean they hate the country OR the American people. It's sort of like when Christians cry about atheists attacking them personally when all you do is criticize their beliefs.

Like every other people on the planet, Danes do make fun of other nations, but it's all in good fun. We may make fun of the US, but not nearly as much as we joke about our European neighbors. The difference is, our neighbors don't care. They probably do the same thing.
I don't mind people criticizing "my" country, government or whatever at all. I criticize it all the time. I like my country so I see it as my "duty" to do whatever I can to improve it by pointing out its flaws.
Sometimes it just seems like some Americans take any sort of criticism personally for some reason. I mean, it's not like Americans don't make jokes about the Canadians, English and the French. Tongue
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
No. Tongue

You won't convince me that this fucked-up government did not allow 9/11. You won't convince me that the CIA doesn't go out and destabilize foreign governments. But you won't convince me any other country never did this kinda stuff - if it could get away with it, of course. I'm not super-patriot dude, but America is my country - bitch plays dirty at times, but she's my bitch. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM

(01-11-2011 12:49 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm not super-patriot dude, but America is my country - bitch plays dirty at times, but she's my bitch. Big Grin

Malmac was my bitch and damn if it didn't blow itself to smithereens! Now I don’t have a bitch and I will never stop bitching about it!

I don’t believe in countries any more, I don’t believe in humanity any more either. I do love many individual humans, love most animals, absolutely worship nature, but I despise and pity the human species (Americans included).

Does this attitude make me anti-American? You tell me.

PS. Misanthrope is probably the closest one-word description. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
(01-11-2011 01:26 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 12:49 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm not super-patriot dude, but America is my country - bitch plays dirty at times, but she's my bitch. Big Grin

Malmac was my bitch and damn if it didn't blow itself to smithereens! Now I don’t have a bitch and I will never stop bitching about it!

I don’t believe in countries any more, I don’t believe in humanity any more either. I do love many individual humans, love most animals, absolutely worship nature, but I despise and pity the human species (Americans included).

Does this attitude make me anti-American? You tell me.

PS. Misanthrope is probably the closest one-word description. Big Grin
Yikes! Then call me a Naturalist, and we'll still be friends. Big Grin

(You are rather well defined now in my mind, Captain. Wink)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM

(01-11-2011 02:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yikes! Then call me a Naturalist, and we'll still be friends. Big Grin

OK, Cantor -- you are a Naturalist! Smile

(waiter, call ma a taxi! -- OK sir, you are a taxi!)

Quote:You are rather well defined now in my mind, Captain.

Luckily, I am rather well defined in my own mind, too! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post