Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2011, 02:33 PM
RE: Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.
Just a question - is it true that there is no VAT or tax on gas in US?

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2011, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2011 02:43 PM by sy2502.)
(28-07-2011 02:33 PM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  Just a question - is it true that there is no VAT or tax on gas in US?

No, it's not true. Gas is taxed at both the federal and the state level.
(28-07-2011 01:27 PM)The_observer Wrote:  As news-bulletins mainly focus on negative news, the US has a serious image problem
[Image: palin+waving.jpg]
Thinking people know that these men and woman are not representative for the American citizens but not everyone is willing to pour water in the wine.

This man and his administration
[Image: george-w-bushpotatos.jpg]
Is what really ruined the polished American good guys image. Especially since he did 2 terms.

basically, what people here in Europe loath is the way the US meddles and influences the economy without them having influence back.

The thought alone of Sara Palin ever becoming president makes me want to flee my home planet.

Other countries have terrible public figures too. Italy has Berlusconi, France has Sarkozy and Strauss-Kahn, Great Britain has the monarchy, the Vatican has the pedophile priests, etc etc.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
28-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm not a very political guy, but I do know a thing or two about the states. I am Canadian, and was born and raised here. The US is close (less than a two hour drive to the border from where I grew up) and I've been all the way to Louisiana, Texas, and a whole lotta places in between. I judge the US by the many people I've met, not by TV and fucked up politicians. And I'll tell you this; there are some really shitty people there, but no more than any other place I've been. All in all, I actually really like the US. I've made many friends there, and have ALWAYS felt welcomed by my American neighbors. I think that to really know a country and it's people is impossible, because individuals don't represent the masses, nor do the masses represent individuals. So saying, "America sucks" is about as narrow minded as saying, "apples suck" just because yesterday you bit into a rotten one.

I think the OP is right. It has become trendy to bash on Americans, but it's total bullshit. I, for one, kinda like you guys down there in the States. That's my experience anyways.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
28-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:- America just can't win. If a disaster happens in some part of the world, everybody expects America to put out its own money and resources to help. When they do, they are blamed it's not enough. Or it's too much. Or it's not done right. Without thinking that America doesn't really HAVE to do anything in the first place. And when it's America's turn to have natural disasters, nobody helps them back.

I think most people get pissed off that America seems to have this 'police the world' attitude and are constantly getting involved in stuff that has nothing to do with them. It also doesn't help that they harp on about freedom, democracy and justice when they only enter conflicts for their own benefit and usually to screw someone over in the process (I know all countries do this but America seem to be the ringleaders and seem to do it far more often).

It's also not just major political things that are irritating. A very minor thing that probably pisses me off just as much as the 'policing' is the American attitude to TV. If America makes a good TV program it gets exported to England (such a Friends), this isn't a problem, usually the shows are good. However, when we make a good TV show, rather than it being exported to the US it get re-written for the US, they film it with their own cast and just add USA to the end of the title which generally means any plots and comedy get watered down, everything is really cheesy and the show isn't nearly as good as the original. Then it is even occasionally exported back over here for us to watch which just adds insult to injury.

Sometimes it kinda comes across (rightly or wrongly) that half the American population won't watch anything if the characters don't have American accents.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Then how is that American citizens fault? Did you know a considerable amount of cartoons you watched as a child (this has been going on since the 1960s) are actually from... wait for it...

Japan

But it is re-written for an English speaking audience and re-titled. Sometimes even the storyline is retooled as well.

I guess everyone just can't watch shows in their original formatting, I mean it's sorta disrespectful, dubbing over the show, making the plot more comprehensible to people not involved with that culture...

Get the point?

Don't try and pull that one on the United States, people around the world take other people's ideas and concepts and repackage them to make it more 'sellable' in that area.

This is what I'm talking about with smugness, it's annoying and unwarranted, and Hughsie, I'm assuming your from Britain right?

What about all of the ATROCIOUS things your nation has done before America went into power, for hundreds and hundreds of years your country has terrorized the world.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
28-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Apples do suck.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2011, 06:59 PM
(28-07-2011 05:24 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
Quote:- America just can't win. If a disaster happens in some part of the world, everybody expects America to put out its own money and resources to help. When they do, they are blamed it's not enough. Or it's too much. Or it's not done right. Without thinking that America doesn't really HAVE to do anything in the first place. And when it's America's turn to have natural disasters, nobody helps them back.

I think most people get pissed off that America seems to have this 'police the world' attitude and are constantly getting involved in stuff that has nothing to do with them.
True, and believe it or not, many Americans don't particularly like that either. Nevertheless, when America does NOT intervene, like in Syria, the world immediately points the finger because America isn't doing anything. As I say, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Moreover, like has happened in Libya, first the European Union calls for America to help out with something that is of no interest to the US but of great interest to the EU, then when America does step in, they basically leave it to pick up the check, they send like a dozen people and America has to send all the rest. Yeah, thanks a lot!

Quote:It also doesn't help that they harp on about freedom, democracy and justice when they only enter conflicts for their own benefit and usually to screw someone over in the process (I know all countries do this but America seem to be the ringleaders and seem to do it far more often).
One thing that, as a European, was the hardest for me to understand was that the average American actually, sincerely believes in democracy and in the duty of America to bring democracy to oppressive countries. I know Europeans can be very cynical and it's easy to say "oh they are just saying that..." No, many actually believe it! Of course it's entirely misguided, and politicians don't necessarily believe it themselves.

I
Quote:f America makes a good TV program it gets exported to England (such a Friends), this isn't a problem, usually the shows are good. However, when we make a good TV show, rather than it being exported to the US it get re-written for the US, they film it with their own cast and just add USA to the end of the title which generally means any plots and comedy get watered down, everything is really cheesy and the show isn't nearly as good as the original. Then it is even occasionally exported back over here for us to watch which just adds insult to injury.
This goes both ways. When I was growing up, practically every game show we had came from an American game that was rewritten and repackaged for the local audience. Some shows don't translate very well. Shows like the British "The Office" and "Coupling" are very British and few Americans would relate to them. Working life in America is different from Britain, so they HAVE to repackage it to reflect the local culture. On the other hand, they have completely butchered one of my favorite programs, "Top Gear". The American version is too lame for words. So you know what? I don't watch it. Simple as that.

Quote:Sometimes it kinda comes across (rightly or wrongly) that half the American population won't watch anything if the characters don't have American accents.
If you only knew how popular "Dr. Who" is in America, you wouldn't say that... Big Grin

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
28-07-2011, 07:17 PM
(28-07-2011 06:59 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
Quote:Sometimes it kinda comes across (rightly or wrongly) that half the American population won't watch anything if the characters don't have American accents.
If you only knew how popular "Dr. Who" is in America, you wouldn't say that... Big Grin

Or Harry Potter for that matter! An entire British cast based on books written by a British author.

28-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow, sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to. Lot of points to address so bear with me here.

Quote:Then how is that American citizens fault? Did you know a considerable amount of cartoons you watched as a child (this has been going on since the 1960s) are actually from... wait for it...

Japan

But it is re-written for an English speaking audience and re-titled. Sometimes even the storyline is retooled as well.

Dubbing a good show to send it worldwide is a bit different to remaking a show in the same language.

Quote:This is what I'm talking about with smugness, it's annoying and unwarranted, and Hughsie, I'm assuming your from Britain right?

I'm from England and I don't intend to appear smug or condescending, however I am aware that I can inadvertently manage it sometime so if I have offended you (or anyone else for that matter) I apologise.

Quote:What about all of the ATROCIOUS things your nation has done before America went into power, for hundreds and hundreds of years your country has terrorized the world.

I am fully aware that my country was the same (especially during our Empire) and is shares many faults with America. I picked on American in particular here as this is a thread about why people dislike the US.

Quote:Nevertheless, when America does NOT intervene, like in Syria, the world immediately points the finger because America isn't doing anything. As I say, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Moreover, like has happened in Libya, first the European Union calls for America to help out with something that is of no interest to the US but of great interest to the EU, then when America does step in, they basically leave it to pick up the check, they send like a dozen people and America has to send all the rest. Yeah, thanks a lot!

I am fully against the EU looking to America to join it's battles and condemn the EU just as strongly in such situations as I do America in others.

Quote:One thing that, as a European, was the hardest for me to understand was that the average American actually, sincerely believes in democracy and in the duty of America to bring democracy to oppressive countries. I know Europeans can be very cynical and it's easy to say "oh they are just saying that..." No, many actually believe it! Of course it's entirely misguided, and politicians don't necessarily believe it themselves.

I fully believe the average citizen DOES believe in bringing democracy to other countries, I just don't believe the politicians do what they start these wars. I also think that bringing democracy to other countries can open a whole can of worms as half the time these other countries don't want/ask for democracy in the first place whereas places that are crying out for it (Zimbabwe) don't get any help at all.

Quote: On the other hand, they have completely butchered one of my favorite programs, "Top Gear". The American version is too lame for words. So you know what? I don't watch it. Simple as that.

Gotta concede that, I should just not watch it and not let it bother me and in all honesty I would probably say the same to someone else were I on the other side of debate so yeah, my bad on that one.

Quote:If you only knew how popular "Dr. Who" is in America, you wouldn't say that...

From my understanding (which may be totally wrong), Dr Who has massively increased in popularity in the last few years which coincides with a push by the makers to 'crack America', it also coincides with the program going way downhill and the storylines becoming cheesy and (in some parts) ridiculous.

Quote:Or Harry Potter for that matter! An entire British cast based on books written by a British author.

Again, my personal opinion was that the American company who produced it and the American scriptwriters completely butchered the films for the most part, making the majority of them cheesy/ridiculous and incoherent. I was a massive fan of the books (I read all the later ones the day they came out and the last one I read continuously in a marathon eleven hour stint), but the only films I found enjoyable were 1,2,7,8.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-07-2011, 08:17 PM
I think I was out of line a little too, Hughsie, after all, I did make this thread as an invitation for people to say what they felt about America.

As someone who speaks bad Japanese I can promise you that they are not just dubbing the shows, a lot of concepts in anime are purely Japanese and very hard for anyone outside of Japan to understand. A lot of plot lines in Pokemon and Yu-gi-Oh! are so different from the originals, it might as well be two different shows.

As far as Harry Potter goes, the movies are pretty crappy, but I think that has less to do with American intervention, and more to do with the difficulties of adapting a LARGE book to a small slot. That being said I have the original American and British copies (as well as the Japanese copies now..) and the books are pretty much the same, except for a few words here and there (like sweater instead of jumper).

-Obviously I love Harry Potter. I like Dr. Who because I watched it with my dad when I was living in England with him as a kid. I also LOVE torchwood.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Happens when America can no longer feed the world? Revenant77x 60 688 21-07-2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: atheistsince1950
  When is america getting that revolution. Metazoa Zeke 50 605 09-04-2014 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mat0816
  The End of The Death Penalty in America Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 151 2,362 03-04-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  The indigenous people of North America weekendskp 24 503 30-01-2014 08:16 AM
Last Post: Chas
  America and military criticism BrokenQuill92 0 141 16-01-2014 07:30 PM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Poverty is a criminal offense in America OP/ED. Brian37 92 1,913 08-01-2014 10:50 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Corporate America and Natural Hair BrokenQuill92 25 1,012 09-12-2013 07:09 PM
Last Post: BnW