Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
RE: Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Seemed appropriate Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2011, 09:33 PM
You should listen to more patriotic Americans defending their nation from international slander by slandering the nation of the accuser. If you want a superiority complex, those nationalists can tend to rattle off 4 or 5 paragraphs of rant over someones' home country. I discount all statements made with the assumption of superiority by everyone, and generally that's more often done to US speakers (something about manifest destiny >.>). Just remember that humans have an innate desire to compete with eachother, and nowadays this is just the most socially acceptable form of empty competition.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Nationalism and patriotism are dangerous ideaologies. The only reason I'm ranting here is that it seems as if people are under the impression that America and it's people are a bunch of simplistic baffoons, which I find highly insulting. It sucks that people are often dismissive or outright agressive to me when I'm abroad (not just Japan) because I am a us citizen.

Hell, I often find it easier to just tell people I'm from Canada (Most people who are not from N. America really can't tell the difference in Canadian/American accents).

And that sickens me. I am NOT my country, I'm my own person.

And the funny thing is that America is one of the most diverse places I ever been, we are so large and have so many people, it's seems stupid to think we are all ignorant fat white xenophobic protestants.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
07-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:The only reason I'm ranting here is that it seems as if people are under the impression that America and it's people are a bunch of simplistic baffoons

Unfortunatly that seems to be the way you are portrayed. Its ashame that a small number of people in america are used to describe the majority who are not buffoons. To give you an example of this Before the iraq war when there was anti war protests. I cant remember seeing many examples of anti war sentiment in america being reported. But i remember seeing plenty of the flag waving missinformed we are giving them freedom the president is always right dont fuck with america because jesus told the president to go to war people. The problem with being from a super power is people are always going to see the negativity and lump everyone together.

Quote:people are often dismissive or outright agressive to me when I'm abroad (not just Japan) because I am a us citizen.
Thats not just insulting thats down right disgraceful. People cant help where they are born to have a go at someone for that is pathetic. If it has ever happened to you in my country i apologize. We are not all thugs though you wouldnt know from all the sectarinism shit thats going on here. And the people that do it shuld just remember their country isnt exactly perfect there is always something shady going on in every country.

Quote:I often find it easier to just tell people I'm from Canada (Most people who are not from N. America really can't tell the difference in Canadian/American accents).
Thats true i cant tell the difference. Most people cant tell the difference between scottish and an irish accents even though they are completly different and have different variations of the accents in different parts of the country(i can barely understand the people in the north of my country as the accents are so different).

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
(04-08-2011 09:33 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You should listen to more patriotic Americans defending their nation from international slander by slandering the nation of the accuser. If you want a superiority complex, those nationalists can tend to rattle off 4 or 5 paragraphs of rant over someones' home country. I discount all statements made with the assumption of superiority by everyone, and generally that's more often done to US speakers (something about manifest destiny >.>). Just remember that humans have an innate desire to compete with eachother, and nowadays this is just the most socially acceptable form of empty competition.

Having lived in, and traveled Europe extensively, I can assure you plenty of other countries are patriotic by putting down other countries. I found Great Britain to be particularly likely to do that. Americans may be a bit patronizing, but Brits are just right down arrogant and rude to other countries. A leftover from the imperial past I guess.
Or should we mention France and their dogged protectiveness of their culture down to refusing to call a computer mouse a "mouse"?
Honestly why single out America?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
(08-08-2011 11:04 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(04-08-2011 09:33 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You should listen to more patriotic Americans defending their nation from international slander by slandering the nation of the accuser. If you want a superiority complex, those nationalists can tend to rattle off 4 or 5 paragraphs of rant over someones' home country. I discount all statements made with the assumption of superiority by everyone, and generally that's more often done to US speakers (something about manifest destiny >.>). Just remember that humans have an innate desire to compete with eachother, and nowadays this is just the most socially acceptable form of empty competition.

Having lived in, and traveled Europe extensively, I can assure you plenty of other countries are patriotic by putting down other countries. I found Great Britain to be particularly likely to do that. Americans may be a bit patronizing, but Brits are just right down arrogant and rude to other countries. A leftover from the imperial past I guess.
Or should we mention France and their dogged protectiveness of their culture down to refusing to call a computer mouse a "mouse"?
Are you sure they weren't being sarcastic? People tend to think they are being rude but when they are being sarcastic. I know, I live thereDodgy But you have to remember British people like to take piss of themselves more than anything. Just saying.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
(08-08-2011 05:54 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  

Are you sure they weren't being sarcastic? People tend to think they are being rude but when they are being sarcastic. I know, I live thereDodgy But you have to remember British people like to take piss of themselves more than anything. Just saying.

Being overly sarcastic is pretty rude... I think people use sarcasm as an excuse to act rudely and then just put it off as sarcasm.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
(08-08-2011 05:54 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  

I won't go into detail because I don't wish to bash anybody but my overwhelming impression was of superiority and arrogance, not sarcasm. There's also sarcasm and jokes of course though.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
If you want to talk about rampant nationalism go back to Asia. Korea, Japan, Malaysia, China, and even Vietnam soar leaps and bounds in nationalism over anything the west can muster. Vietnam is so bad that the separation of north and south goes far beyond Germany's old border.

I'm just mentioning the problems that are noticed. Never suggested that most of them were US specific. My issues with the US are rather social not political, but most people have political issues.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
(08-08-2011 08:07 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  If you want to talk about rampant nationalism go back to Asia. Korea, Japan, Malaysia, China, and even Vietnam soar leaps and bounds in nationalism over anything the west can muster. Vietnam is so bad that the separation of north and south goes far beyond Germany's old border.

I'm just mentioning the problems that are noticed. Never suggested that most of them were US specific. My issues with the US are rather social not political, but most people have political issues.

But that's exactly it, many countries have the same issues people give for not liking America. So why single out America? Because (at least until the Recession) it was the richest country in the world, because (at least after the Cold War) it was the most powerful country in the world, and people resent it, often out of simple, petty envy. Somehow in some people's mind, America just doesn't deserve a break. No matter that it spends incredible amounts of money in foreign aid, no matter that's where so many advances in science and medicine come from, no matter that its people and its charities are the most generous in the world. America is the "big guy" and as such doesn't deserve a break. I find it a sad attitude.