Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
RE: Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.
How did the world treat Rome? How did it treat England or Spain? If you stick your hand in the cookie jar expect to get caught. You can't go snooping into affairs of other countries without complaints. The US does the most snooping. If we can drop the whole uber religious regime thing we're trying to build recently then most people will shift their eyes back to Britain soon I would think.

No matter what people think of Obama it's true that there have been many countries accepting us further either due to his race, or due to his speeches. The country is looking a bit nicer again.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 02:02 PM
lol, just having fun. Big Grin

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
19-08-2011, 05:25 AM
There, you see why people make fun of USA? I seriously doubt that if you walk the streets of London so many people will say such stupid things, like: "Were we in Vietnam?". I mean seriously, she thinks that is funny. And she calls herself "an American". For me these things are not something to laugh at, but something to cry about. This is sad, this is frustrating, this is horrible, but it is not funny. If you call yourself an American and you don't know you country starts with U as UNITED States of America, then you are so stupid you don't deserve the right to vote. Triangle has no sides... aaaa... one? Really? And she has the right to vote same as everyone else? Something terrible is going on in USA...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Don't worry, in Germany it's the same. Misleading of the people. It's so sad.
I won't sound prejudiced, but... I think it's because plebs got more kids. And social life won't let them rise in higher social classes.
That's a problem of politics.
19-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Hmm, that's strange, I see lot's of replies in this thread but I didn't get a notice that anyone had answered until today, doesn't a subscription to a thread mean that I get a notice for every answer?

Anyway I read a bit and as always I have some thought I will share Smile

Monkeyshine, you wrote:
"It's not that I don't mind discussing America's problems, I just have a hard time with other nations acting 'superior' to the the US and it's people."
I'd say we manage to keep it at quite a good level in this discussion at least, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who think the government is the same as the people and most people don't say that other countries are better than the US. This thread was started with a question about why people dislike the US so it's not so strange if we do say some bad stuff about the country Wink

One thing that affect my opinion of the US where I would say that Sweden is slightly better though, is the percentage of the population who vote... Last election I think it was a bit lower than normal but it was still around 85% of everyone who are eligible to vote who did vote. Unfortunately this means that more than half of the Swedish population wanted this right-wing government in office that we have now which I consider sad... but that's a whole other topic, and we're still far left of the US if anyone would compare Smile

I think that when talking about for example George Bush getting elected (even though it's debatable if he got re-elected Smile) then I instinctively think that more than half the US population wanted that wanker in office since I consider it normal in a democracy that almost all of the population actually vote...

I find it quite scary that such a small part of the population (I checked wikipedia and I see that a bit more than 60% voted in the last election, I admit I had some prejudice that the number was lower...) decides who will run the most powerful country in the world.

Sy2502 wrote:
"But that's exactly it, many countries have the same issues people give for not liking America. So why single out America? "
Because that's what this thread is about Big Grin
No, seriously, I think I put it well enough in my previous posts and Lilith said it quite well too, the US has been interfering with so many other countries around the world for a long time (starting wars, spying, installing puppet governments etc.), of course some of it does come back eventually.

"No matter that it spends incredible amounts of money in foreign aid, no matter that's where so many advances in science and medicine come from, no matter that its people and its charities are the most generous in the world."
I thought the US didn't give a lot of foreign aid? If you compare different countries and how large percentage they give of their GNI then the US is not a big donor. I don't have the time to find the statistics right now (and who trusts statistics anyway Wink) but in the Millenium development goals set by the UN the recommendation is to give 0.7% of GNI in foreign aid, in 2005 Norway was giving 0.93% while the US was giving 0.22%.
When speaking of foreign aid you also have to be aware that it is split into two categories, military and economic assistance, personally I'm not quite sure what counts as military assistance but I guess a lot can be covered there, here in Sweden our government have started trying to get our "peace-keeping" military units that are e.g. in Afghanistan under US-, sorry, NATO command to be labelled as foreign aid which to me is just wrong. Yes, they do help with some rebuilding and are supposed to be keeping the civilian population safe but I think that all rebuilding and education and similar things should be handled by civilians and not the military. If nothing else it gets less confusing for the population we are supposed to help.

That the US has given the world great discoveries in all fields of science and medicine is nothing that anyone seems to doubt, but that wasn't the subject of this thread and when discussing the type of topics we've covered here it doesn't seem to really matter. I mean if we talk about the US removing a democratically elected president and their help in installing a brutal military regime I don't see the importance of also mentioning that they invented the Internet... don't get me wrong here, I see the tremendous achievements and advances the world has made because of US ingenuity and science and I'd be happy to discuss that in another thread, but when we are talking about why people dislike the US I doubt that our brains work as logically and rationally that we weigh all the good thing we know about the country against all the bad things we know and then decide if we don't like it or not Big Grin

I've also heard that the individuals in the US give a lot more to charity then a lot of other people, but as I've mentioned before, there's a tax reduction (I'm not quite sure how the system is set up) or something similar for donations to charities and it is often portrayed as a way to break even or even a way to give a little and earn a lot for yourself by not paying as much taxes. Now this might only be my prejudice or misinformation playing tricks with me, if that's the case please correct what I'm saying because US tax regulations is not my area of expertise.

Filox
"I seriously doubt that if you walk the streets of London so many people will say such stupid things"
I seriously doubt that they used every interview they made with people. Wink
I do think that if you have enough time and patience you could find enough people in London (or Göteborg where I live) to make the same video about stupid Brits or Swedes. We who watch a video like this have absolutely no idea if they asked 10 people these questions or 1000 people. It still is both funny and depressing seeing people laugh about their own ignorance though.
19-08-2011, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2011 07:52 AM by Lilith Pride.)
The game show street smarts capitalized on how stupid people in malls are. If you want to see a large number of people saying horribly stupid shit it works. Though most of those people would realize the USA starts with a U I think. Of course this film crew searched for the idiots, but to be able to find people who know so little is telling in itself. The US really doesn't put the emphasis on history and geography that most places do, so it's more common to stump adults on supposedly common knowledge. If it were a straight interview then there wouldn't have been cuts. I find it very funny though that the Berlin wall is in Israel and no one knows where Kentucky Fried Chicken is from =p The two who gave those answers are the luckiest ones =p

The argument that Germany's lack of education is due to the split schools is kind of weak. In the US as well, less educated people have more children (it's normal). So these children often grow up in less educationally supportive environments. There are plenty of places in the US where the teachers aren't teaching they are just yelling at kids to keep them to sit still (I've attended a high school like this). At least Germany is willing to give money to their school system. Also the split schooling would allow for a marked improvement among US schools if implemented. A large number of uninterested students bogs down most classrooms, making the few interested children unable to fully gain from their years as a student. At least in Germany the smart ones can get smarter =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-08-2011, 10:59 AM
(19-08-2011 06:51 AM)MAD Wrote:  Hmm, that's strange, I see lot's of replies in this thread but I didn't get a notice that anyone had answered until today, doesn't a subscription to a thread mean that I get a notice for every answer?

Anyway I read a bit and as always I have some thought I will share Smile

Monkeyshine, you wrote:
"It's not that I don't mind discussing America's problems, I just have a hard time with other nations acting 'superior' to the the US and it's people."
I'd say we manage to keep it at quite a good level in this discussion at least, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who think the government is the same as the people and most people don't say that other countries are better than the US. This thread was started with a question about why people dislike the US so it's not so strange if we do say some bad stuff about the country Wink

One thing that affect my opinion of the US where I would say that Sweden is slightly better though, is the percentage of the population who vote... Last election I think it was a bit lower than normal but it was still around 85% of everyone who are eligible to vote who did vote. Unfortunately this means that more than half of the Swedish population wanted this right-wing government in office that we have now which I consider sad... but that's a whole other topic, and we're still far left of the US if anyone would compare Smile

I think that when talking about for example George Bush getting elected (even though it's debatable if he got re-elected Smile) then I instinctively think that more than half the US population wanted that wanker in office since I consider it normal in a democracy that almost all of the population actually vote...

I find it quite scary that such a small part of the population (I checked wikipedia and I see that a bit more than 60% voted in the last election, I admit I had some prejudice that the number was lower...) decides who will run the most powerful country in the world.

Sy2502 wrote:
"But that's exactly it, many countries have the same issues people give for not liking America. So why single out America? "
Because that's what this thread is about Big Grin
No, seriously, I think I put it well enough in my previous posts and Lilith said it quite well too, the US has been interfering with so many other countries around the world for a long time (starting wars, spying, installing puppet governments etc.), of course some of it does come back eventually.

"No matter that it spends incredible amounts of money in foreign aid, no matter that's where so many advances in science and medicine come from, no matter that its people and its charities are the most generous in the world."
I thought the US didn't give a lot of foreign aid? If you compare different countries and how large percentage they give of their GNI then the US is not a big donor. I don't have the time to find the statistics right now (and who trusts statistics anyway Wink) but in the Millenium development goals set by the UN the recommendation is to give 0.7% of GNI in foreign aid, in 2005 Norway was giving 0.93% while the US was giving 0.22%.
When speaking of foreign aid you also have to be aware that it is split into two categories, military and economic assistance, personally I'm not quite sure what counts as military assistance but I guess a lot can be covered there, here in Sweden our government have started trying to get our "peace-keeping" military units that are e.g. in Afghanistan under US-, sorry, NATO command to be labelled as foreign aid which to me is just wrong. Yes, they do help with some rebuilding and are supposed to be keeping the civilian population safe but I think that all rebuilding and education and similar things should be handled by civilians and not the military. If nothing else it gets less confusing for the population we are supposed to help.

That the US has given the world great discoveries in all fields of science and medicine is nothing that anyone seems to doubt, but that wasn't the subject of this thread and when discussing the type of topics we've covered here it doesn't seem to really matter. I mean if we talk about the US removing a democratically elected president and their help in installing a brutal military regime I don't see the importance of also mentioning that they invented the Internet... don't get me wrong here, I see the tremendous achievements and advances the world has made because of US ingenuity and science and I'd be happy to discuss that in another thread, but when we are talking about why people dislike the US I doubt that our brains work as logically and rationally that we weigh all the good thing we know about the country against all the bad things we know and then decide if we don't like it or not Big Grin

I've also heard that the individuals in the US give a lot more to charity then a lot of other people, but as I've mentioned before, there's a tax reduction (I'm not quite sure how the system is set up) or something similar for donations to charities and it is often portrayed as a way to break even or even a way to give a little and earn a lot for yourself by not paying as much taxes. Now this might only be my prejudice or misinformation playing tricks with me, if that's the case please correct what I'm saying because US tax regulations is not my area of expertise.

Filox
"I seriously doubt that if you walk the streets of London so many people will say such stupid things"
I seriously doubt that they used every interview they made with people. Wink
I do think that if you have enough time and patience you could find enough people in London (or Göteborg where I live) to make the same video about stupid Brits or Swedes. We who watch a video like this have absolutely no idea if they asked 10 people these questions or 1000 people. It still is both funny and depressing seeing people laugh about their own ignorance though.

So basically you are saying who cares about the money America both as a government and as private individuals donate regularly to the rest of the world. I see. There are plenty of people in America that could use that money you know? There's poverty here too. There's disease here too. Your reaction simply reinforces my view that America should simply stop giving any kind of free money to any foreign country, and spend it for its own people here at home. And maybe this kind of comments ("yeah you give money but it isn't that much" or "you just give money for the tax breaks") should be publicized more to private individuals who regularly give to charities, to wake them up a bit on how little it's appreciated, and maybe they'd do something better with that money, like give it to someone who appreciates it. Just my opinion.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
20-08-2011, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 02:11 AM by Filox.)
Again, my superior diplomatic skills are needed. To the explaining!
Smile

No, sy2502, you misunderstood the point of MAD, he did not say that it matters not how much the USA is giving away as charity, he said that it is not the point of this discussion, he wanted to get back to the issue at hand and that is why people "hate Americans", not who gives more money to charity. He did not mean to underestimate or look down on USA and their charity giving, but to put this topic back to the ... well, topic. And if you really want to talk about the money, it is not so strange that most people give their money to charity as a way of tax relief, or that if you look at percentage, that the USA dos not give as much as other countries. That is not something you should be mad about, those are some normal facts, most rich people use charity to avoid tax paying all across the world, it is not only in US, it is everywhere, and USA has such a huge amount of money every year that 1% of that money is 100 times more that 1% of Norwegian yearly amount. This was just a lucky guess, of course. So it is not always the percentage that one gives, it is the amount you give away.

But, again, this is not about who gives more money and whose mother is stronger, this is about a different subject. Again I will say that it is possible to find people that are this ignorant (as shown in the video) because of the bad schooling system. Schools are too specialized, they lack some common knowledge, they lack foreign history and geography, a lot of people use home-schooling and learn God-knows-what there... Better common education will reduce these kind of answers on the streets.

Here is my personal experience how ignorant people (USA citizens) can be. I was working in a hotel at a time, we had a lot of USA clients. One of them was a doctor (M.D.) and on his first day he comes all confused to me and the owner of the hotel... He ask us how can he turn on the air-condition. We look at him even more confused, the switch can be no simpler than it is, you have a dial for the temperature an one ON/OFF button, but it does not say ON/OFF it says I and 0. When I asked him what is the problem he replied he only sees a line and a circle on the air-condition. So I had to explain to him that a "line" was actually "I" or 1, and that the circle was a "0" or zero. He then again looked at me a bit more surprised as he did not understand what 1 and 0 mean, so I had to explain even further that ONE is ON and ZERO is OFF. He then understood. Now if this was some uneducated "redneck" (no offense intended) who spend his life in the field it would be understandable, but this was some rich doctor with lot of schools and colleges behind him, so I was terrified of the pure ignorance and unintelligence that was surrounding him.

If you want more of my own personal experience, I can write them, but I don't want to look like I'm now bashing USA citizens that they are stupid, that was not my intention.

Unfortunately, this was not the first time I had experience like this with someone from USA, and I was working for a British company for 2 years, never had anything similar with British citizens. That only confirmed my thoughts that you people in America, really need to change the way you educate your next generations, seriously.

-Hunter S. Thompson
20-08-2011, 02:36 AM
(19-08-2011 10:59 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  So basically you are saying who cares about the money America both as a government and as private individuals donate regularly to the rest of the world. I see. There are plenty of people in America that could use that money you know? There's poverty here too. There's disease here too. Your reaction simply reinforces my view that America should simply stop giving any kind of free money to any foreign country, and spend it for its own people here at home. And maybe this kind of comments ("yeah you give money but it isn't that much" or "you just give money for the tax breaks") should be publicized more to private individuals who regularly give to charities, to wake them up a bit on how little it's appreciated, and maybe they'd do something better with that money, like give it to someone who appreciates it. Just my opinion.

Nope, I think you missed my whole point there. Sorry if I don't express myself good enough.

I am not trying to diminish the good the US are doing or the people who help, what I was going for is the way it is often presented. It's not uncommon to see someone say like you did that the US spends incredible amounts on good thing and that the people "are the most generous in the world". This is why I posted statistics. This is the outlook a lot of people have of Americans, that they try to show off no matter what the area is. I don't see it as a competition when it comes to charity, I admire people who give money and I admire people who give money and not expect anything in return even more. If someone is constantly bragging about how much they give I find it strange.

Also, I am a white male living in a rich country, why would my opinion on foreign aid from the US mean that you think it's not appreciated? I am not one of the recipients of that aid so what is it that makes my text speak for the people who actually recieve the aid? Or are you saying that the only reason the US is giving any aid is so that other rich countries can look at them and say "oh, look at how generous they are" Wink
And yes, that last sentence was just sarcasm on my part, nothing serious intended there Smile

Filox:
Thanks for your diplomatic intervention, I think you understood what I was trying to say in some parts there.
Do you work as a caped crusader at night using those superior diplomatic skills Smile Hmm, I get pictures in my head of someone in a full body spandex with a big "D" on the chest... (the Diplomatizer?)

Take care everyone!
20-08-2011, 02:50 AM
The Diplomatizer... I like that, maybe I will change my name to that. Thank you.

Smile

Now, of to the new challenge, Diplom come... (*calls out his diplomatic cat*) Awaaaaay...

-Hunter S. Thompson