Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.
I am, by no means, unaware of my nation's many many issues. I am also very aware how we are doing financially and socially. However, it seems to me that a lot of other nations and their denizens have recently taken to being all around assholes about America and it's people.

I live in a nation where it's a pastime to make fun of Americans, but it seems to me that this unfounded hate is getting out of hands. What is other people's problem with the United States? Hell, I'm not much of a fan of it half the time, but I don't go around saying how stupid it is, or how dumb the people are...

Does anyone else see this around the web?

Anytime I stick up for myself (because I am an American and calling Americans dumb IS an insult to me) or explain why the US is the way it is, I get called stupid or ignorant.

If you are not American, do you dislike Americans or the US?

I'm fucking sick of the Americans being the butt of every joke...is anyone else?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2011, 01:25 PM
RE: Hate America- It's the hip and trendy thing to do.
All I'm saying is you Americans out there better get your shit together because I live next door and if they bomb you they bomb us.
[Image: explosion_ist_krieg.thumbnail.jpg]
Just kidding. The thing I hate the most about America is the border patrol guys, such dicks. Other than that I dislike the same things I dislike about Canada (us being so similar) oh and the misinformation about Canada. I do not live in an igloo. I live in a teepee. Get it straight.
We could probably just merge and no one would notice, except all the other countries who think Canada is like the nice little brother... although we are bigger in size Wink.
No country is without it's problems, and the reason for that is because assholes live in every country there is. Let's all hug. Cept' you assholes out there. No hugs for you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm one of those people who ignites anti-US hate speeches =p I've just never had any interest in the country and spent my life looking for a way out (let it be coming soon), The reason many parts of the world say these things (like Japan who in truth is a strong supporter of the US due to financial ties) is because the US is the media capitol of the world. TV shows are not known for their intelligence, it's not hard at all for anyone anywhere to see Americans being stupid. The general idea at this point is derived from this media image. Also, the US has always been very focused on getting in the middle of everything everywhere. This constant butting in is a great reason for a large amount of countries hatred. Many mistakes were made by the US in the hopes that it would mean they get something in return for supporting this or that insurgency or strike.

I have never felt as ostracized in other countries as I do here (I avoid ones that would kill me on sight). In every way I'm an outsider as compared to people in Missouri, so I've never fit in. I also have never pledged allegiance as I was never given a reason to believe in this current country. I like the original ideas, but I was born after 1915 (luckily) so I don't really feel I should give much credit for things happening in past generations to the current powers.

As the world embraces democracy and sort of follows suit of the US, expect everyone to notice all the mistakes made by the progenitors. That's just common.

This recent popularity of self deprecating speeches by just about everyone in the nation is really uncalled for. Most of these people like where they live, and aren't even slightly aware of how bad the message they send out on e-mail is. Sure, everyone is tired of the current media circus that is politics, but they should discuss their hatred of that not the country they live in and actually do appreciate.

If the US continues to give up opportunities in advancement the rest of the world will stop discussing them. What put them in the spotlight was a huge flood of new inventions and a constant race to build a better tomorrow. Though nowadays instead that is left up to the big corporations and the elected officials are there to smile for the camera. If the US becomes a less powerful nation no one will talk about them much at all, unless something happens.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I generally dislike America, but I think the name calling and the 'smugness' complexes of the other nations, acting like their shit don't stink is just irritating. I'm so pissed off that I'm actually reverting a little back to my hick accent. (I developed an Atlantic accent after living in England).

I know how you feel, Lilith, I don't really fit into America either. I am much too... atheist?

Sadly the rest of the world groups me in with the likes of WBC... I guess I always be looking for a home.

27-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I've never been considered a US citizen outside the US. During my periods being elsewhere the only time I ever noticed anyone talking about Americans was a laugh at tourists. I've met plenty of hate speech online and in media I've ran into some, but in general I haven't noticed a large street level distaste outside of hokey tourists. My entire outside the US experiences currently amount to about 1 month though so I'm definitely no expert.

I found a home in Japan but don't yet have a real reason to move there and deal with some of the issues. I love the country, but I do know enough of the problems I'll face (if only I was a blonde) and need to have a good amount of money before going (I can't do a military term). So I'm still looking for a more feasible option, though I may end up there eventually anyway. I would probably live in Hokkaido as I've always been very interested in Ainu culture, really not sure how I would be treated in that region.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Not so much hate as fear. FEAR, even. The US is a very scary country these days.

On the other hand, i have known quite a few people who either came from there or still live there; have spent a little time there myself (if LA counts as part of the US....) and i feel deep sympathy for all the decent, intelligent, open-minded Americans who are both being bullied by their intolerant compatriots and lumped in with those same bullies by people in other countries.

Some possible solutions: free media, real democracy, a popular... not uprising but movement toward independence from big money and party politics: Don't fight them, ignore them. Or maybe North America should subdivide itself like an amoeba, and become a dozen separate, less powerful nations. Power does corrupt.

But the bad, scary stuff isn't confined to the US. It's been in the UK for some time; has crept into Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands, even Denmark. The ex-USSR and east bloc are in tatters. Some of that is down to US interference, but there is no way for the American people to control their elite, so the only thing they can blamed for is not resisting - of which all the other industrial populations are also guilty. Maybe that's why they prefer to blame it all on America - it's easier than than facing how venal and gullible the rest of us have been.

A whole lot of change is needed globally, to set things right again. I don't anticipate an up-turn before it gets much worse.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
27-07-2011, 03:43 PM
(27-07-2011 12:50 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I am, by no means, unaware of my nation's many many issues. I am also very aware how we are doing financially and socially. However, it seems to me that a lot of other nations and their denizens have recently taken to being all around assholes about America and it's people.

I live in a nation where it's a pastime to make fun of Americans, but it seems to me that this unfounded hate is getting out of hands. What is other people's problem with the United States? Hell, I'm not much of a fan of it half the time, but I don't go around saying how stupid it is, or how dumb the people are...

Does anyone else see this around the web?

Anytime I stick up for myself (because I am an American and calling Americans dumb IS an insult to me) or explain why the US is the way it is, I get called stupid or ignorant.

If you are not American, do you dislike Americans or the US?

I'm fucking sick of the Americans being the butt of every joke...is anyone else?

I have to own up to something. I was growing up (not that I ever finished the process) when Reagan was president. He typified everything I hated about the United States not least the "oppression of Nicaragua".

Now I am older and I have changed my minds on many things many times. I realize that in many ways the US has the strongest democracy in the world but at the same time the most corrupt and broken. Reagan may have done many things I still disagree with, but now I know that in his youth he spoke against McCarthyism and that he contributed at least in some way to bringing freedom to Eastern Europe. Some of my favourite scientists hail from the US and yet it has some of the most moronic and anti-scientific manifestations of religion in the world. In short the US is simply too complicated, interesting, frustrating and important to simply love or hate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Lilith- I would love to talk to about Japanese-American relations. Although it's a rather huge topic here are some things I noticed.

1. Japanese are much more happier with the idea of us going 'home'. Other then the usually bunch of crazies we get with every nation, Japanese generally like tourists and people showing an interest in their culture.

2. But to Japanese, we always remain foreigner, outsider, even if we live in Japan for a number of years. We can never truly understand what it is like to be Japanese or never truly understand the culture, which is to me, incorrect.

I love Japan and I would love to stay here (Jasen protests this) but I can understand why, we would always be considered outsiders. Then again I reason with him we will be considered outsiders in the united states as well.

Have you considered the JET program? Anyone with a undergrad degree can apply to be an English teacher and teach at a high school or middle school for three years. Then you can get a clear idea of what it is like to live in Japan as a foreigner without going through the process of immigration. If you decide it's good for you, then maybe consider immigrating here.

I live in Okinawa, so I think my perceptions may be skewed (due to military we have a more volatile foreign relations), but it was similar when I went to the main islands of Japan.

27-07-2011, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 05:20 PM by Lilith Pride.)
I understand those things fully, but what I mean is that America the country is where many resources are attained. Japan relies on trade to survive due to their limited resources. The cultural aspects have also caught on heavily, American music television and even food has quite a following in Japan. This added onto the many steps Japan takes to westernize.

Not only we are considered foreigners even Chinese living in Japan are life long foreigners. In order to be a natural citizen you must have your full family history on record or be of Ainu descent. The Ainu are the only non-Japanese who can claim full citizenship due to their status as the true natives. It is still a constant practice that a Japanese citizen marrying a foreigner removes them from the family records.

I was at some point going to mention that since you probably live in Okinawa you are likely to have more issues. It is where the base is, and the only part of Japan where western money is used. Okinawa was basically taken by the US after WWII. I agree that the people who live in Okinawa are more likely to be aggressive to foreigners than others. The nationalism is not uncommon, go to almost any country in Asia and you'll have the same issue, if a Japanese person and Korean person can barely get along what hope does a Caucasian have since they are obviously different? That's something you either accept or reject about Asia in general as they are the most racist area I know of.

I've thought about JET a few times but I'm not really big on English. I am aware that it is a very effective option. By the time I was going to Japan I had started being very interested in this person from Quebec so I was not too worried about it. My desired profession is anthropology. I've studied the Ainu a good deal as they are the group I'd most wish to look at (even though they've been pretty much ravaged culturally).

Sorry if the way I talk about Japan makes me sound like I'm romanticizing it or unaware, but I just feel that you would already know the basics and to me that's a part of the country that you already accept by being there. In the other discussion we had on this I said I was proud to be seen as a local foreigner =p. I can understand fully that your husband does not want to stay, and I'm sure you'll find a good place yourself. Japan is simply a place I connect well with so I talk about it often enough.

I have the same views on parts of the US, but that doesn't excuse current events, like in Japan the disgusting handling of the nuclear issue. It's not a perfect place I just like it there, which is more than I can say for here. And as I've said previously, for one reason or another I was given the credit for understanding their culture, whether it was due to the area or something about me I'm not sure. They accepted that I knew most of it and held me accountable for my mistakes.

27-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm English and, gotta hold my hands up, rather cynical about the US but then again I'm rather cynical about most things so it's nothing personal.

I probably am one of those very critical people who annoy you and I do love making jokes at Americas expense, I also find a lot of things about America/American culture intensely annoying (not just major religious/political things but everyday things as well).

However, I will say that while I haven't met many Americans, despite the fact that I collectively find American society very irritating, on an individual level I've always liked the American people from what I have seen of them. Always seem friendly and warm people.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post