Hate crime - torture - against white disabled teen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 09:46 PM
RE: Hate crime - torture - against white disabled teen
(07-01-2017 06:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  Out of curiosity, I just checked Mother Jones and Daily Kos to see what kind of spin they put on this incident. I was actually kind of surprised to see that neither site even covered it, apparently. Confused
I really thought they'd be all over this shit.

Edit: Ok, I found something. Sounds like this DailyKos member doesn't want to grant this individual incident any legitimacy as a newsworthy item. I haven't found any staff posts yet, though. I'll keep looking.
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/01/0...of-America

It was newsworthy and it was covered by mainstream media. Quick action by the justice system can have the effect of stealing the thunder from such stories.

Outcomes in stories like John RK Howard's tend to warrant more coverage because the guy shafts the victim's rectum with a coat hanger with impunity. The story becomes not so much the crime, but the consequences or lack thereof for the crime. Even then, I only learned of it, after the Chicago kidnap story.

Quote:DIETRICH, Idaho -- A white former football player at Dietrich High School who admitted to kicking a coat hanger into the rectum of his black, disabled teammate will avoid prison, thanks to a plea agreement between his defense attorney and the Idaho Attorney General's Office.

John R.K. Howard, 19, pleaded guilty Friday to felony injury to a child. The charge was amended from felony penetration with a foreign object, which would have required him to register as a sex offender.

Deputy Attorney General Casey Hemmer said in court that he did not believe the assault constituted a sex crime.

"It was egregious behavior. It caused this victim a lot of suffering," he said. "But it is not, in our view, a sex crime, which is why the state has amended this charge. We don't believe it is appropriate for Mr. Howard to suffer the consequences of a sex offender, but he still needs to be held accountable, and that's how we've arrived at where we're at today."

http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/dietrich-.../375477675

Like RocketSurgeon76 mentions elsewhere, hate crimes are a dime a dozen. If they happen to the "wrong" person, they can have an unsettling effect, because we have not been inured to those types of things. Even when every subsequent action is picture perfect - arrests, arraignment, denial of bail, almost guaranteed prison time - there is still simmering outrage.

While, I am confident the kidnappers in Chicago will pay the maximum price for their crime, I don't bring this other story up to minimize what they did to that white kid. But rather to demonstrate why one outcome can be legitimately more newsworthy. A lot of times the real news and angst tends to be caused by the actions of the justice system.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
08-01-2017, 09:18 AM
(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Before I start, I just want to say that I edited out a lot of stuff from your reply. I wasn't trying to change anything... just left out the stuff that I didn't see as needing to be addressed, which was repetitive (on your part or which had already been covered in my replies), or which was simply commentary rather than questioning. If you feel I have unfairly altered or omitted anything that should not have been, please let me know and accept my apologies in advance.

Do as you please

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I get my view of the GOP from literally every single person I know on this planet except for a friend who lives in Korea and many of the members of this board being conservative Republicans.

That would be like me assuming liberals are smug and saying I get that talking to every liberal. Conservatives come in vastly different shapes and colors. Some are atheist, some are muslim, some are gay. Some of the think global warming is an issue. Like liberals, conservatives come in many different ways.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I get my view of the GOP from growing up in the Deep South states and living in the US Midwest "red states".
I am spammed endlessly with their propaganda being repeated from the mouths of the people I know and love-- often in the ways I had just heard/seen it reported on conservative media outlets that are all you ever see down here.

Fair enough, you have been around conservatives with the same view. You view of them is understandable.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Jon Stewart simply made clips of a phenomenon I had already noticed. And he did it in a funny way. However, you should take note that the show consistently ranks highest in honest reporting of the facts, and the regular viewers score highest on knowledge of political events in polling research (though to be fair, O'Really and Limbaugh's viewers also score pretty high on the same surveys). Writing it off because he's a liberal is just as bad as accepting whatever he says because he's a liberal.

My issue wasn't that he was a liberal, but that you got the information from a late night show(that and the only late night show I am willing to watch is bill maher)

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  However, my point was that he shows--literally shows a sequence of--the Republicans repeating the same talking points, day after day, person after person, word-for-word. He's not inventing that news because he's a liberal. He also makes fun of Democrats when they try to do the same thing... mainly because they're so terrible about messaging and/or staying on message, and it's comedy gold (or would be, if both these parties of nincompoops weren't making our laws).

Again my beef is with the fact it is a late night show, not that he is liberal. I never said a liberal could never be right.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Well the video is a joke, first of all. He's making comedy. He says that there is such a thing, then goes on to explain why it's okay to make jokes about white people and not about minorities, and does a pretty good job of it.

I disagree. Every race should be made fun of, mostly cause I do it. Though I didn't find his bit funny, I could have misinterpreted it, so I won't go any further on it.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Of course someone can be racist toward whites. If I was denied a job, or harassed or harmed, or maliciously called bad names because of my white skin, then yes those people are racists. Prisons are full of anti-white racists and outright "black supremacists", and racist anti-white Hispanic groups... I can assure you! (Also full of white supremacists of course.) It's a seething hotbed of identity politics and hatred.

Okay so you aren't a fucking idiot. That doesn't mean that aren't fucking idiots who learn in there university class across the west(not even just the U.S) learning this in their sociology classes.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's pretty clear that these attackers were racist toward white people, and taking out their anger and fear in the same way Klan-influenced moron white kids do sometimes. To the detriment of all humanity. Sad

賛成です。

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Um... "you guys"? Who? Am I to call Liberal Command Base and order a disowning?

I wasn't just talking about you.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Liberals tend to be a "herd of cats" and have little central organization.

I would say a clan of spotted hyenas is more accurate.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's one of the reasons the GOP has been on the whole more successful than the Dems.

Now that's debatable

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I wasn't just criticizing them for having the Talking Points... only laughing at the fact that it's there and yet you pretended liberals were the ones who were speaking as one.

I mean you seem to think conservatives think as one(unless you have changed your mind on this, then ignore this)

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Seriously, why do you think Kyle is calling them "partisan hacks"? He's calling them out on the issue. He lashed into Hillary Clinton endlessly, and every other "establishment Democrat" he considers part of the problem, as well... like when they try to reduce or ignore ISIL beheadings, for instance. You should watch the show, since you watch both sides, to see how an intelligent atheist liberal actually thinks. Smile

I know, I watch secular talk as well. I have been watching it for a while now, and I still object to him being with the young turks.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I urge you to please read two articles written by an author recommended by the author of the paper you quoted to me earlier:

"Checking My Privilege", in which she excoriates the people who try to shut down conversation by the phrase "check your privilege", simply because she is white.

But more importantly, please read and carefully consider her original 1988 essay, Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack (pdf file), which is still considered one of the best explanations of why I keep saying that you and I are talking about entirely different things when we say the phrase "white privilege".

Funny enough I have read unpacking the invisable napsack before. And it is bullshit.

Here is why.
Quote:1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of
my race most of the time.

I must mention that white people make up 60% of the american population. 60%. So based on that you are more likely to see a white person. On top of that this point assumes that when white people arrange meetings with each other it will go well.
Quote:2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was
trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my
kind or me.

So can black's, asians, and hispanics. Hell there are towns with mostly blacks that can avoid white people. There places like china town where there are pretty much no white people. On top of that white people can mistrust white people, so she assumes that you can only mistrust other races.

Quote:3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting
or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in
which I would want to live.

This isn't a white privilage. This is a rich privilage. I know black people who can move when they want, and white people who can't.

Quote:4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a
location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

This is assuming that white people never have shitty neighborhoods. Plus there are neighbor hoods where minorities are treated well.

Quote:5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well
assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

This isn't a race thing. This reminds me of when feminist tell men they have nothing to fear while walking at night. A white man can go shopping alone and still be harassed.

Quote:6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of
the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

Again 60% of america is white. So what do you expect? So more white people will be represented because there is more white people to represent.

Quote:7. When I am told about our national heritage or about
“civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it
what it is.

Well who the hell built most of america? It happens to be white people. On top of that minorities that did help are in fact represented.

Quote:8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular
materials that testify to the existence of their race.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/toxic...-interview

Quote:9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher
for this piece on white privilege.

So can anyone. Saying that you can because you are white, doesn't mean anyone else can't. Hell most of this toxic whitness crap is coming from minorities anyway.

Quote:10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a
group in which I am the only member of my race.

After having a black president for the last 8 years who was able to speak in rooms of white people, I am pretty sure white people aren't the only one who benefit from this.

Quote:11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to
another person’s voice in a group in which s/he is the only
member of his/her race.

Anyone can. I have meet people who don't even listen to what white people have to say ever. White people aren't the only ones who can do this.

Quote:12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the
music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find
the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a
hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

So can black people. I live in a predominantly black area, and we see black music with black people on it all the time. We have soul foods stores around here as well. If you live in an area with mostly one race, expect things mostly for that race. This isn't a privilege for white people.

Quote:13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can
count on my skin color not to work against the appearance
of financial reliability

There is no evidence for this at all.

Quote:14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time
from people who might not like them.

Everyone of any race can. You can have black families who hate whites make sure that white people don't go near them.

Quote:15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of
systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

If the above examples are what is supposed to be systemic racism, than you are teaching your kids to fear something that isn't real. No different than white people who tell their kids to fear white genocide.

Quote:16. I can be pretty sure that my children’s teachers
and employers will tolerate them if they fi t school and
workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not
concern others’ attitudes toward their race.

First off any kid of any race now a days can fit the school or workplace norm. Also this assumes that the chief or anyone can't be racist or give shit to a white person for their race.

Quote:17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put
this down to my color

Why is this even a point? Is there evidence that this is an epidemic?

Quote:18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not
answer letters, without having people attribute these
choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of
my race.

I wouldn't say that. Spend a day with some hebrew isrealites, they would sure debunk that this can't happen to white people.

Quote:19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without
putting my race on trial.

Obama didn't. Hell even those who disagree with obama and think he is stupid don't even blame black people.

Quote:20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being
called a credit to my race.

I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of moments where people say you aren't bad for a white person. This isn't something that never happens to whites.

Quote:21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my
racial group.

This also depends. This goes more into what part of the world the white person comes from. If a person who is white moved from germany or russia, people are going to start asking them questions about their culture. It is human curiosity, so no it isn't something that never happens to white people.

Quote:22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs
of persons of color who constitute the world’s majority
without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

And minorites can't? I don't need to learn about most of the worlds cultures either. No one does, and it won't hurt them. Hell even with in similar races.(i.e cubans don't have to learn about mexican culture and vice versa)

Quote:23. I can criticize our government and talk about how
much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as
a cultural outsider.

Neither do minorites. If what this is claiming was true, BLM wouldn't be a thing.

Quote:24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the “person
in charge”, I will be facing a person of my race.

60% of america is white, what do you expect?

Quote:25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax
return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of
my race.

I wouldn't say that. There isn't any evidence this is an epidemic, or even that it doesn't ever happen to white people.

Quote:26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books,
greeting cards, dolls, toys and children’s magazines
featuring people of my race.

Quote:27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I
belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated,
out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or
feared.

Most black people don't feel this way. What evidence is there that minorities feel isolated when they don't see people only or mostly of their own race. Most people who are treated nicely feel welcome.

Quote:28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague
of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances
for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

There is no evidence for this. This was pulled out of her ass.

Quote:29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion
of a person of another race, or a program centering on
race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present
setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

Umm evidence? Because now a days it would be white people more at risk for speaking up against racism, not minorities.

Quote: 30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there
isn’t a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more
credibility for either position than a person of color will
have.

This isn't a race thing this is more of a evidence thing. If a white person was to say this crap I would dismiss them, but if I black person shows evidence of racism towards hispanics that is demonstrable he would be right. Most people run on merit not race.

Quote:31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority
writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them,
or learn from them, but in any case, I can fi nd ways to be
more or less protected from negative consequences of any
of these choices.

So can minorities to other minorities and whites. Hebrew isrealites would ignore the rights of asians if they were discriminated against because they don't care. In fact people saying that you can't be racist towards whites means that if white people face discrimination, they can ignore it.

Quote:32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the
perspectives and powers of people of other races.

There are many many cultures, even with in the same races. There are many hispanic cultures, many black cultures, many native american cultures, and many white cultures. The culture of the american south is different from the British south. So this isn't a white privilege.

Quote:33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing
or body odor will be taken as a refl ection on my race.

Is there any evidence this is an racial epidemic.

Quote:34. I can worry about racism without being seen as selfinterested
or self-seeking.

Virtue signaling and brownie points. These alone show that white people get shit for spewing false hoods about race.

Quote: 35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer
without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got
it because of my race.

There isn't affirmative action for white people? I am pretty sure their isn't. But I hate affirmative action, as it would hurt anyone of any race or men and women because it makes it seem they can't do it based of merit. So if white people did get it, than yes people would use your race against you.

Quote:36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask
of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial
overtones.

Well you could, but if you believe you can't be racist towards whites you wouldn't notice it anyway.

Quote:37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be
willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps,
professionally.

No evidence only white people benefit from this? Because there isn't.

Quote:38. I can think over many options, social, political,
imaginative or professional, without asking whether a
person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do
what I want to do.

You can hold any opinion you want no matter what your race. But I will say this, me saying white people are a plague on the earth would get way less back lash than if a white person said the word nigger in context.

Quote: 39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness
reflect on my race.

This doesn't happen ever.

Quote:40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing
that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated
in the places I have chosen.

Well if someone denied me housing for my race, I can be sure to get them to let me in due to public outrage. White people however have no where to go. I am pretty sure people have be denied things for their race, but no one cares, not even white people.

Quote:41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my
race will not work against me.

Well believe it or not there are some racial differences when it comes to health. For example, I am more salt sensitive than my white friends and have a higher chance of getting cancer. Sometimes doctors look at race, not to discriminate, but to understand your health.

Quote:42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to
experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

So can every other race.

Quote:43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that
my race is not the problem.

Depends. Most people don't look at race for people being a bad leader. Look at obama, some people think he was a terrible leader, however, the vast majority of them don't hate him for his skin, just his actions.

Quote:44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions
which give attention only to people of my race.

This depends on the course you are taking. If I take a course on the history of africa, most of it will be about africans. If I take a course on the history of mexico, most of them will be mexicans. It depends on the course you take. If you take a course on the history of english, expect mostly white people.

Quote:45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of
the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

Well what about japanese art, kenyan art, brazilian art? And who said that the experiences of the art dealing with white people was positive?

Quote:46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color
and have them more or less match my skin.

This is a non-issue. Also they have band-aids of different colors.

Quote:48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where
people approve of our household.

Neither do minorities. It all depends on how you make your house, not your race.

Quote:49. My children are given texts and classes which
implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn
them against my choice of domestic partnership.

You mean the nuclear family? I was once a part of a pro black group, you would be surprised how many of them praised the black family. A black nuclear family will get more praise than a white broken home.

Quote:50. I will feel welcomed and “normal” in the usual walks
of public life, institutional and social.

Again any one can not just white people.

The problem with white privilage is that most of what is called white privilage can happen to all races. But if this is what sociology runs on, then there is a major problem.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Please read "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack", and if you like,

I did twice now.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I will be glad to expand on this point. But the short answer is that they are connected issues, but it is not the only issue, and it's why using it as a metric is not useful in this context and why I think the Asian community's overall financial and academic success is a red herring. Glad to discuss it... need to lay down a few basic ideas, beforehand, in other words. I say this because of your quip later about black people who have become wealthy and moved into (privileged!) gated communities, and I certainly would agree that wealth allows someone to avoid many of the consequences of differential privilege in other ares.

Okay then go for it.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  In the first article by the author I cited, above, she describes the generational effects of how her grandparents were able to build their lives here in the USA and emphasize education, etc., from which she benefits. The problem with the GI bill and other "in the past" programs is that the effects on the grandchildren of people (and neighborhoods) who were economically impacted by that disparity are still felt today.

Yes, and black people benefited from it. Any black man that was able to go to school and move to nicer neighborhoods. But this is also assuming that the benefit of grandfathers would benefit the children later on. The grandfather might have benefited from the G.I bill, but he son would end up fucking it up, and his family would have to move to a poor neighborhood. So yes, people can benefit from the actions of their ancestors, but it isn't set in stone, and it doesn't just help white people.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Just as one example of such an impact: In the USA, most cities are made up of smaller municipalities, and there are often shocking differences in average wealth between them-- and yet they must each pay for their own school districts. The tax base disparity means students of suburb A might have great schools while the ones a few blocks over in suburb B have terrible ones that don't attract good teachers or have the funds to do the sort of educating that suburb A can/does do.

Yeah, and a black neighborhood that is rich would get these benefits, while the poor white neighborhood wouldn't. Rich people only see one color, that is green.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You're still sounding like a Creationist, I'm afraid. There are those who object to conclusions in sociological papers, all the time-- and that's when everyone goes "but 10 years ago, you said ____!!!", just like with evolutionary biology-- but when there are things that are so well-demonstrated that they no longer merit serious dissent, you won't find much dissent. That's the exact point the Intelligent Design people exploit when they try to claim they're being censored from biology journals.

Here is the difference. While creationist have no bases for trying to call evolutionary biology bias, people who say sociology is biased have evidence that it is.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/...54A890149F

http://heterodoxacademy.org/2015/09/14/b...diversity/

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Did you take sociology in college? My professor never mentioned any of those things, at all. I did, however, tangle with a number of people who were getting bad information from their "African-American Studies" or "Women's Studies" classes, so I'll grant you that part of the point.

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack comes from a woman in a woman's study courses. Just saying.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Never said we should. In fact I said sociology needs to be fixed, not removed.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The ideas of safe spaces and suppression of free speech come from well-intended morons we now call "social justice warriors", but not from the well-established data on how privilege actually hurt and continues to hurt minority communities on the whole.

Actually it does. SJW's use things like white privilage and male privilage in order to form their world view. These people didn't get their ideas from the void. Neither did women's or black studies. It all comes from somewhere, and sociology is that some where.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It was actually published on September 13, 2012, while Halo 4 was not released until November 2012.

Halo reach was out at that time and halo 3 was dead at that time as well. They would have been better off using call of duty black ops, black ops 2, or even modern warfare 3. Those games had a much higher population than halo 3 at the time, so even though I got the date wrong, my point still stands.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I am well aware of your racial background. But you are not a professional sociologist. I was pointing out that he has no inherent reason to assert its existence in the data unless it is there. He's certainly not the "go along to get along" type-- right now, he's working on challenging the "unquestionable" narrative about how to combat the spread of HIV by making criminal laws which report positive persons to the law and make them vulnerable to all sorts of retaliation from jilted lovers, etc. He has drawn incredible heat for it, but maintains his position on the subject because the data show that suppression actually hurts the efficacy of prevention measures, rather than helping.

Then if he wants to study HIV and how to prevent it that is fine by me. Again I am not trying to make it look like your friend is out to get white people, but that if he excepts the data from things like unpacking the invisible kanpsack, than he is building that foundation on quick sand and not a rock.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Your narrative seems to indicate that, for whatever reason, you believe that the primary consideration in these factors is wealth and the ability to acquire it... and I say that is only part of the issue, and that the others contain equal weight (including their ability to impact the ability to gain wealth when they are in play). Because those factors were not on play in your life, apparently, your personal experience tells you that the rest of it is simply made-up whining. It behooves you to suggest that you climbed up on your own merits alone, taking race out of the equation.

It isn't my experience, but the evidence at hand. Again the only color that matters now is green. I don't use anecdotes as evidence but as examples to drive the point home. And yes people who talk about white privilege are making up the problems, trying to make problems not about race about race, or are finding issues that effect everyone, and not just minorites.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If you knew him, you'd know why that statement was funny. I'm not actually sure he's capable of feeling guilt. I greatly respect that man, but I'm pretty sure he's incapable of feeling guilt of any sort. It's part of what recently got him divorced. Laugh out load

Never said he was a bad guy, but they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions for a reason.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think the American for-profit university system, in which the administrators are terrified to be sued, created most of that monster.

It is the reason why I refuse to go to university in america.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  But again, I certainly won't argue that there's a toxic narrative going on in the university system. That still has no bearing on the entire field of sociology.

So do these ideas come from the void? And even if it isn't the entire field it is still a very large part of it that causes the problem.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  A better Creationism analogy would be the movie God's Not Dead, in which they portray the atheist evolutionist professor as just promoting his "theory" because he's angry at god due to the loss of his wife (and because he's a douchebag). It doesn't have any honest bearing on the field of evolutionary biology, only part of whose publications come from professors trying to earn tenure.

Again, there is no evidence towards a bias towards evolution over creationism in universities. In fact we can demonstrate that it is BS. However with sociology there is evidence of a one sided bias towards one political leaning and those can effect and change the data and peer review towards one outlook on life.

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Finally, I'm skipping the rest of this because there really wasn't anything to argue in there. I cited Quora because I liked how the guy phrased it, that's all. It pointed out that we simply don't hear about most of it, but that it's still there.

Did you just assume their gender?!?!!?

(07-01-2017 01:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And in conclusion, yes, I did find it ironic that Vosur of all people had the "testicular fortitude" to call anyone else on the planet condescending. Tongue

That's yall beef not mine, I am staying out of it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-01-2017, 09:46 AM
(06-01-2017 11:55 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 11:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No, not when said evil results in the random murders of citizens under the color of authority, murders which are often unpunished.

I wasn't talking about police brutality. I was talking about altercations that lead to such gun shots out of self defense. I wouldn't justify police brutality.

Well, you were talking about how BLM seems to regard every shot black as innocent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they focused on police violence against blacks? In that context, what you wrote clearly applies to the police, right?