Hate it when my Theist parents bring up religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Hate it when my Theist parents bring up religion.
Hi, I'm just trying to vent out a little bit here, but if you would like to help me out or if you can relate please comment.

I really hate it when my parents bring up religion. But today my parents asked me if i wanted to go to a religious Youth Group versus the religious education that i am forced to go to every Wednesday. I simply said no due to the fact that I'm very uncomfortable that it has to be religious. They keep trying to encourage me to go by saying that "it is funner than going to Religious ED, and you might like it better than the Religious ED class you have to go to." I said no a couple of times and then my mom comes out to saying how closed minded i am being because i don't want to go because she thinks that i wanted to explore the possibility of there might being a god. I explained to her that I'm not being closed mined but instead just are making a decision not to go, and i gave her an example.

At this point I'm starting to get nervous and feel very cold inside because i can tell where this is going and I don't like it....She later adds that she saw an interview that Opera did on George Lucas about his beliefs and he said that he was lonely when he did not have god and and wasn't when he did. To me that just sounds ridiculous because i don't think George Lucas was ever an Atheist or even secular in any way, but i wouldn't know for i have not don't any research on him.
My dad later steps in and starts making statements saying how lonely people are without god and the other way around when you have god. Personally i just find that ridiculous. But he makes the statement that people are also converting back to religion, and i said its the same way around, but he also added that things worked both ways. i really saw no point in that because i already new that, i just never knew the extent of it, but i don't think he truly does either. Now I'm getting more nervous inside and I'm starting to feel extremely uncomfortable and my speech begins to studder and I'm slowly loosing my concentration.
He also says (and this got me kinda mad) that its been proven that people always turn to god just before the die or when ever they are on their death bed. i tell him that that is not true at all and state that there is no evidence to prove what he just said is true.
The argument goes on for a couple more minutes before the stove goes off and dinner is being served.
All i wanted was to have a nice day like anyone else but instead they ruined my day with this argument saying how I'm on the wrong path, I'm must be so lonely, how i will find Jesus someday, and so on. Its extremely annoying and now i feel so horrible because of what my parents think of me. Sad They make me feel like my disbelief in a deity are completely worthless making me feel worthless.
I hate to be a hypocrite a bit but i really wish they could fully understand what i have. and by the way I'm only a Teen trying to survive a house of theistic minds.

Thanks for reading, i do feel a little better venting now but i would like some feedback, thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Luke_Atheist's post
28-02-2012, 07:41 PM
RE: Hate it when my Theist parents bring up religion.
There is something to be said about having an invisible friend to talk to when you get lonely.
They call these people crazy, by the way.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
28-02-2012, 07:43 PM
(28-02-2012 07:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  There is something to be said about having an invisible friend to talk to when you get lonely.

But don't it when the response you get when you say that is them shaking there head in disappointment and disbelief.
28-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Have you tried telling them how you feel when they talk about religion?
28-02-2012, 08:26 PM
(28-02-2012 07:43 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 07:41 PM)Thomas Wrote:  There is something to be said about having an invisible friend to talk to when you get lonely.

But don't it when the response you get when you say that is them shaking there head in disappointment and disbelief.

Penn Jillette shows you the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGev6OZ3w

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
28-02-2012, 08:27 PM
(28-02-2012 07:28 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Thanks for reading, i do feel a little better venting now but i would like some feedback, thanks again.

It sucks that you're still living with your parents, because this is a part of life. I'm personally on a crusade to change children's rights (I personally think children are treated with the same respect and freedom of slaves) but I'm clearly not very successful because I'm just too early... maybe generations from now people will say "he was ahead of his time". Maybe.

Anyway, your parents are making an assumption. Even if a belief in God drove loneliness away, that still wouldn't prove God's existence. I'm sure you've met a child or two that has imaginary friends --- I have a 5-year-old daughter who has a couple of them. That doesn't prove they're real just because she's not lonely when her imaginary friends are "playing with her".

It's also completely untrue that people turn to God on their deathbeds, but assume it is true --- say you'll turn to God on your deathbed if it's true that everyone does. Your father's actually giving you an argument for why you shouldn't bother to believe in God here and now.

My parents believe in God too, but now that I'm in my 30's I can blatantly tell them that I don't believe in their nonsense and they can't threaten me if I disagree with them. Your parents can, so it's probably best not to rock the boat too much until you leave the house. It sucks, but that's a teen's life... until I can change it Tongue

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
28-02-2012, 09:44 PM
(28-02-2012 08:27 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 07:28 PM)Luke_Atheist Wrote:  Thanks for reading, i do feel a little better venting now but i would like some feedback, thanks again.

It sucks that you're still living with your parents, because this is a part of life. I'm personally on a crusade to change children's rights (I personally think children are treated with the same respect and freedom of slaves) but I'm clearly not very successful because I'm just too early... maybe generations from now people will say "he was ahead of his time". Maybe.

Anyway, your parents are making an assumption. Even if a belief in God drove loneliness away, that still wouldn't prove God's existence. I'm sure you've met a child or two that has imaginary friends --- I have a 5-year-old daughter who has a couple of them. That doesn't prove they're real just because she's not lonely when her imaginary friends are "playing with her".

It's also completely untrue that people turn to God on their deathbeds, but assume it is true --- say you'll turn to God on your deathbed if it's true that everyone does. Your father's actually giving you an argument for why you shouldn't bother to believe in God here and now.

My parents believe in God too, but now that I'm in my 30's I can blatantly tell them that I don't believe in their nonsense and they can't threaten me if I disagree with them. Your parents can, so it's probably best not to rock the boat too much until you leave the house. It sucks, but that's a teen's life... until I can change it Tongue

ya, i never try to "rock the boat" ever, they always seem to bring it on to me. i actually always try to avoid the subject knowing what it will bring. it really sucks being at home with your parents but i still don't think i could survive without there support of food and shelter and other things but i actually try to stay out of the house when i can. After school academics help a lot, and i get to make friends and have lots of fun instead of "suffering" in my house.Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Luke_Atheist's post
28-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Go to Youth Group and be open about your atheism. Study up on ways to debunk the Bible and how to argue against Christians. Don't be hostile, but be open about what you believe. Most will not have the Biblical knowledge or theological fortitude to combat you if you learn the basics. After enough of your heresy, they may actually ask you to leave and not come back.

If your parents get mad, just tell them, "I told you I didn't want to go and I didn't fit in. All I did was tell them how I feel and they kicked me out."

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
28-02-2012, 10:21 PM
(28-02-2012 09:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If your parents get mad, just tell them, "I told you I didn't want to go and I didn't fit in. All I did was tell them how I feel and they kicked me out."

That seems a little bit dodgy to me, because originaly I didn't want to go because I felt uncomfortable because it is religious. I know I sound a bit like a scardy cat but I really would like to have fun instead if argue. But I'll take note of your suggestion, after all, knowledge is power!!
28-02-2012, 11:40 PM
My parents are the same way. I haven't told them that I am atheist yet but I am sure I will have to sooner or later, and I have already decided that if they do to me like they do to my uncle, constantly preach AT him and try to get him to go to church that ill start preaching AT them about being an atheist. For the time being I keep the fact that im an atheist secret from them because I don't see a reason to make them worry about my "eternal soul" and they are paying my cell phone bill. But sooner or later I know ill have to make a stand, and I don't want them to become atheist, they are happy as Christians so ill let them stay that way. I may one day have to sever ties with my parents, I know if I ever have a kid they would try to preach to it and im not having a kid scared as I was growing up about going to hell for sinning. Try to make it till you can stand on your own 2 feet and then make a stand, but till then its just like everything else in life that sucks, just have to wait it out. Good luck.
[+] 1 user Likes hollowpointm16's post