Hate it when my Theist parents bring up religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 01:05 AM

RE: Hate it when my Theist parents bring up religion.
However you think your life sucks because your parents want you to know God and you want to rebel and be an atheist--because they believe in God, let me tell you it could be a whole lot worse. At least you acknowledge that you need them for a roof and food, because you're right--you do! And I don't give a damn what any of these atheists tell you; your parents know the real world and how badly atheists are viewed in society. They are trying to "raise" you right, and no parent can be faulted for that. I assure you; you won't want your kids to be atheists--you will love them way too much for that.

When you're living on your own, you can do what you want, if you must. But while you're at home, why not show your parents a little respect? Go to the stupid camp and have a good time that, no doubt, they are paying for. Isn't that the least you could do, given that you weren't aborted in an atheist clinic or grotesquely abused as I see so much of where I work? Can't you just toe the line out of a little respect for people who love you and care for you?

Jesus, man: honor your father and mother and stop running them down on public forums. Christ what I wouldn't have done to be raised by parents like yours! What I wouldn't have done to have had two parents. Can't you just stop spitting on them for once?
Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 01:19 AM
No way Egor, I wish, really really wish that I was not raised religious. That I did not get scared when I would take a nap after school and wake up home alone freaking out because i thought that the rapture had taken everyone except for me. Always feeling guilty for things that were normal that I was raised to believe were bad, such as feeling any sexual interest in girls. Always wondering why god had talked to everyone at church, always seeing people getting "slain in the spirit" or "speaking in tongues" while no matter how much I prayed, worshiped, cried or begged I wasn't good enough to receive any of these "blessings." And not being aborted wouldn't have bothered him, not like he ever would have known. not beating him is the only viable thing you have said.
While I am sure his parents believe they are doing this for his best interests, ignoring how your son feels and shoving your beliefs in his face is a shitty way of getting your son to believe in anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Although I believe your parents mean the best, sometimes what they think is the best can be very problematic for you. I know this by experience, and trust me, hearing my mother screaming that she rather see me dead than being gay was rally hurtful (I'm gay btw, in case you didn't notice Tongue ) She said she is sorry for that, but in that moment I didn't give a shit about what she believed, I just wanted to go away as far as I could. I don't know if your situation is like that, but trust me, you can find the strength to endure your parents love, and probably with time you may thank them, as this things can make you stronger to stand up to the difficulties of life.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Time to lay the law down on them mate,

if you can, really start pointing out the faults you see in religion, hammer it into them that religion just isn't your thing. Ask them to prove some stuff for you.

Secondly tell them to stop harassing you with their beliefs, you've made your mind up, tell them that you don't antagonize anything and its always them trying to bring it down onto you. Lay into them that god isn't everything, people can be more open minded to life than slaves to religion.

You won't hurt them, if they truly love you (which they will) they'll understand, and hopefully they'll let you go down your own path.

Edit: And Egor, being rebel and going for atheism = rebelling against thought control.
[+] 1 user Likes MKilby's post
29-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Put your foot down. You're allowed to have your own opinions. If you don't want to go, then don't. Even teenagers have rights, and nobody can control what you think.

I can empathise with your situation. When I was twelve, before my family came out as non-believers, my mother sent me to one of these Christian camps (in her defense, I don't think she knew it was a Christian camp. It didn't advertise itself as such). It was a whole month of brainwashing, talking about Jesus, singing creepy hymns, and talking about Jesus some more. There were even prizes for the kids who managed to memorise whole bible passages and parrot them back word for word. It was absolutely awful. But I bet Egor would've enjoyed it.

Also, don't let anyone marginalise your feelings just because you should be grateful you're not being abused or beaten. If you're lonely and depressed, it's not because you don't have a god-friend, but because everyone around you is a god-botherer trying to force their beliefs on you.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
29-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Ok, I have so many thoughts regarding this that it will be hard to put them down here.

Firstly - at this time in your life, your parents seem larger than god (excuse the expression) because they have power over you. This is temporary, you need to develop temporary coping mechanisms. This will not be your world for long, and you need not think long term. Just find a way to cope with each set of 10 minutes or however long the confrontations last. The rest of the time, ignore it. It is not important in the scope of things.

Then, listen to what you hear other than their demands. What I hear from what little you told us, is that they worry about you being lonely. Are you? Why would they think that? If you are not, how will they understand that? What can you do to show them you are not lonely?

The way to get them off your back with this is to disperse their fears. They do this because they fear that without religion xxxxx will happen to you. What are their fears? If it is simply that they think you will fry in hell, not much you can do about that. But it's likely more complicated than that. They are likely scared that your time on earth will be unhappy if you don't believe. So, what are the horrible thing they think will afflict you in your life time? Can you disperse these fears?

You say you are a teenager. You know, even if you were an ardent believer, you would have issues with your parents. Almost everyone in your age bracket has issues with their parents. Not everyone will talk about it. I had issues galore with mine, but it had nothing to do with god.

Then, why exactly don't you want to switch to a group? Why do you think it will be worse? Maybe it will be easier, you'll never know unless you try.

But, bottom line, I think the most important thing for you to work on is your coping mechanism. These confrontations take up such a short span of time, and you let them ruin whole days and weeks and maybe your life. Keep things in perspective, this is not taking up your life now, just small segments of it. And it will have absolutely no place in your life in just a few years. You are not being eaten by a shark, you are getting stung by a bee.

And then - your very strong reaction to listening to them and others talk about god. I think it comes from having to repress what you really want to say or cause hell to break lose. Some are telling you to just speak up, others are telling you to just ignore it. I'm telling you, just follow your instincts with this. No one here knows all the factors at play in your home life. You are the only one who can make such decisions about your own life.

Above all, with all of this, keep in mind that while your parents can rule your life right now, you still have the autonomy of decision making. You decide how to cope. You decide if you want to spend your time fretting about it or if you want to spend your time doing something you enjoy. They have no say over that, it's you who has a say over what you spend your time thinking about. Even in your situation, you are the boss of your thoughts.

I may be old enough to be your grandmother - but I'd like to think I've learned a few things in all these years.

What I'd like you to take away from this post is:

Think freely. Try new things. Take life an hour at a time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-02-2012, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 06:13 PM by Luke_Atheist.)
(29-02-2012 01:05 AM)Egor Wrote:  However you think your life sucks because your parents want you to know God and you want to rebel and be an atheist--because they believe in God, let me tell you it could be a whole lot worse. At least you acknowledge that you need them for a roof and food, because you're right--you do! And I don't give a damn what any of these atheists tell you; your parents know the real world and how badly atheists are viewed in society. They are trying to "raise" you right, and no parent can be faulted for that. I assure you; you won't want your kids to be atheists--you will love them way too much for that.

When you're living on your own, you can do what you want, if you must. But while you're at home, why not show your parents a little respect? Go to the stupid camp and have a good time that, no doubt, they are paying for. Isn't that the least you could do, given that you weren't aborted in an atheist clinic or grotesquely abused as I see so much of where I work? Can't you just toe the line out of a little respect for people who love you and care for you?

Jesus, man: honor your father and mother and stop running them down on public forums. Christ what I wouldn't have done to be raised by parents like yours! What I wouldn't have done to have had two parents. Can't you just stop spitting on them for once?

I really dislike the face that you constantly are assuming that I hate my parents and want to trample and spit on them. HONESTLY!! Wtf is wrong with you thinking that way, I would never perpusly be mean EVER to my parents or anyone else I know. Plus they are bringing the religion on to me when I'm just trying to avoid the conversation completely. And that's a fact!
(29-02-2012 01:24 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Although I believe your parents mean the best, sometimes what they think is the best can be very problematic for you. I know this by experience, and trust me, hearing my mother screaming that she rather see me dead than being gay was rally hurtful (I'm gay btw, in case you didn't notice Tongue ) She said she is sorry for that, but in that moment I didn't give a shit about what she believed, I just wanted to go away as far as I could. I don't know if your situation is like that, but trust me, you can find the strength to endure your parents love, and probably with time you may thank them, as this things can make you stronger to stand up to the difficulties of life.

Yes I agree and understand you. I accually did have that thought of running away thinking that it would make things better but I knew that that wasn't the case. I hope things get better because there just the beginning, there is so much more in the future that I can predict. And it not going to be fun at all. Sad
29-02-2012, 06:24 PM
(29-02-2012 05:19 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Put your foot down. You're allowed to have your own opinions. If you don't want to go, then don't. Even teenagers have rights, and nobody can control what you think.

Sadly it doesn't work that way. Trust me, I've tried. Dodgy

The fact is teenagers' parents have a financial gun to their head. If they want you to do something badly enough, they can make you do it.