Have Presidents Always Been Hated This Much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Even though I've lived during Clinton's second term and all of Bush's presidency, the only one I remember is Obama's presidency. Before Obama, I wasn't really at an age where I knew about politics besides what my mom had drilled into my head ("The Republican is always the good guy." I feel differently now). The only thing I remember about Bush was really Katrina because that was the only thing that directly influenced me and a little bit of Iraq. So for those of you who actually remember other presidents, I ask, are they always hated as much as Obama is? At least by the opposition? Just something I'm curious about . . .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes southernbelle's post
15-10-2013, 06:42 PM
RE: Have Presidents Always Been Hated This Much?
Obama is middle of the road
15-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Probably not. As Obama is center then right and left are hating on him
Democracy works best when every decision is equally disliked among left and right.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
15-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I think we are able to see it now more because of social media. Could have always been the same, but I also am too young to really know. I remember little of the Clinton admin, then came bush, then Obama, we see how that turned out. Both hated on a big scale.
15-10-2013, 07:03 PM
You DO know there are more people in the world than just 300+ million americans, right?

Now maybe reconsider whether Bush or Obama is hated more.
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
15-10-2013, 07:12 PM
People tend to be more vocal about a person/business/topic when they disapprove. So the majority of your media exposure (social networking included) will be negative for most anything, thus giving the impression that most people share that opinion.

Think about a good restaurant experience you had. How many people did you tell? Now a bad experience... I'd bet you were far more vocal. It's essentially the same. The perception can't fully be trusted.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
15-10-2013, 07:53 PM
(15-10-2013 07:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  You DO know there are more people in the world than just 300+ million americans, right?

America doesn't fit into the same realm as the rest of the world, and cannot be compared against it. American politics are so wack I don't think historians are going to believe the evidence of it 500 years from now.

Elected officials that claim its not rape if the woman does not put up a fight, more than 50% think the devil created Atheist, more 80% vote for their parties agenda and not the population that elected them.
more than a few think noahs animals disembarked and were distributed by volcano explosions FFS.

From a foreign perspective no matter how much of a dick OBAMA is, there is daylight between him and the Bushes, who appear to be nothing more that figure heads for a christian right.

Fox news and I assume close to 50% voting public view republican leaders as faith ordained, and are Mohammad like taboo to criticize.

When the views of fox news accounts for less than 20% of USA population than the rest of the world may stop laughing at the absurd USA political system.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-10-2013, 08:39 PM
(15-10-2013 05:50 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Even though I've lived during Clinton's second term and all of Bush's presidency, the only one I remember is Obama's presidency. Before Obama, I wasn't really at an age where I knew about politics besides what my mom had drilled into my head ("The Republican is always the good guy." I feel differently now). The only thing I remember about Bush was really Katrina because that was the only thing that directly influenced me and a little bit of Iraq. So for those of you who actually remember other presidents, I ask, are they always hated as much as Obama is? At least by the opposition? Just something I'm curious about . . .

Most definitely, yes, presidents are always hated this much by their political opponents. It has been this way for hundreds of years.

During the 8yrs of George W Bush, Bush Derangement Syndrome was in full force on the left. Bush was caricatured as both the most retarded idiot in the world while simultaneously being a peerless evil genius in manipulating the events in the world to maximize death and war.

Clinton was caricatured as everything social conservatives hated about the 60s and a philandering, unprincipled, shifty, dissembling, murdering liar. (well, the philandering part was mostly true).

George Bush Sr was caricatured as an out of touch airheaded bumbler.

Reagan was portrayed as a crazy, clueless old man who slept most of the time and barely knew what was going on in his administration.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
15-10-2013, 08:48 PM
(15-10-2013 05:50 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Even though I've lived during Clinton's second term and all of Bush's presidency, the only one I remember is Obama's presidency. Before Obama, I wasn't really at an age where I knew about politics besides what my mom had drilled into my head ("The Republican is always the good guy." I feel differently now). The only thing I remember about Bush was really Katrina because that was the only thing that directly influenced me and a little bit of Iraq. So for those of you who actually remember other presidents, I ask, are they always hated as much as Obama is? At least by the opposition? Just something I'm curious about . . .

Well, in the south Obama may be more hated than Bush. But Bush was really unpopular at the end of his term. So much so that
he is still hiding under a rock somewhere.

But hating often says more about the hater than about the hatee (if there is such a word).
16-10-2013, 12:14 AM
It's probably less of an issue of hating the president and more of an issue of people just hating rich people with power.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]