Have Presidents Always Been Hated This Much?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: Have Presidents Always Been Hated This Much?
Just a couple of comments and for full disclosure I used to be a republican but being so angry with their positions and candidates I left the party and am unaffiliated with any party:

(1) Clinton did not run a surplus. This is a common misconception that is simply not true. See table 7.1 from the attached link (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/historicals). The Clinton surplus myth comes from the clinton administration shuffling debt around b/t public debt and debt held by agencies (e.g. social security).

(2) I really really get mad when people say/post that dislike of Obama is due to racism or religious bias. When you make a comment like that you are simply guilty of the same transgression.

(3) if you want a list of reasons why I dislike Obama:
a- drone strikes galore with high civilian casualties
b- campaign promise fails (e.g. Guantanamo Bay, war in Afghanistan)
c- explosion of the US debt with NO impact on the economy
d- petty revenge tactics with the shut down (e.g. closing parks and having Park rangers act as goon squads)
e- The complete failure so far of Obamacare including suppression of information about enrollments and cronyism with the award of contracts
f- the joke nobel peace prize
g- The NSA's activities and the administrations complete dismissal of concern. His denial of knowledge is laughable and if true shows a leader out of touch with important government actions.
h- IRS scandal and the administrations complete dismissal of concern
i- manipulation of employment statistics for political gain in addition to reworking the CPI calculation to mask inflation
j- Benghazi cover up
k- bullying of the press
j- allowing Holder to remain in office after perjury
k- Jay Carney
l- denial that the job gains we are seeing are not growth oriented or that they are due to his policies (e.g. age bands of who is getting jobs, part time vs full time)
m- sycophant press corps

Tangentially, I hold Obama responsible for an ineffective SEC (how is Corzine still walking free, oh wait big dem donor) and QE smoke and mirrors which simply enrich those on Wall Street that the rest of us will have to pay for down the road.

Bush was a freakin moron and Obama came into a bad situation but he has done nothing to improve our economy, screwed our debt situation perhaps beyond repair, and has essentially pissed the entire world off with drone strikes on enemies and spying on allies.

Just the fact that a post like this probably gets picked up by some asshole in the NSA and gets added to my file should outrage each and every one of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
02-11-2013, 06:56 AM
(02-11-2013 06:52 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Just a couple of comments and for full disclosure I used to be a republican but being so angry with their positions and candidates I left the party and am unaffiliated with any party:

(1) Clinton did not run a surplus. This is a common misconception that is simply not true. See table 7.1 from the attached link (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/historicals). The Clinton surplus myth comes from the clinton administration shuffling debt around b/t public debt and debt held by agencies (e.g. social security).

(2) I really really get mad when people say/post that dislike of Obama is due to racism or religious bias. When you make a comment like that you are simply guilty of the same transgression.

(3) if you want a list of reasons why I dislike Obama:
b- campaign promise fails (e.g. Guantanamo Bay, war in Afghanistan)
c- explosion of the US debt with NO impact on the economy
d- petty revenge tactics with the shut down (e.g. closing parks and having Park rangers act as goon squads)
e- The complete failure so far of Obamacare including suppression of information about enrollments and cronyism with the award of contracts
g- The NSA's activities and the administrations complete dismissal of concern. His denial of knowledge is laughable and if true shows a leader out of touch with important government actions.
h- IRS scandal and the administrations complete dismissal of concern
i- manipulation of employment statistics for political gain in addition to reworking the CPI calculation to mask inflation
j- Benghazi cover up
k- bullying of the press
k- Jay Carney
l- denial that the job gains we are seeing are not growth oriented or that they are due to his policies (e.g. age bands of who is getting jobs, part time vs full time)
m- sycophant press corps

Tangentially, I hold Obama responsible for an ineffective SEC (how is Corzine still walking free, oh wait big dem donor) and QE smoke and mirrors which simply enrich those on Wall Street that the rest of us will have to pay for down the road.

Bush was a freakin moron and Obama came into a bad situation but he has done nothing to improve our economy, screwed our debt situation perhaps beyond repair, and has essentially pissed the entire world off with drone strikes on enemies and spying on allies.

Just the fact that a post like this probably gets picked up by some asshole in the NSA and gets added to my file should outrage each and every one of you.

don't worry your not a foreigner so they cant spy on you, oh shit but I am a foreigner and I quoted your post, so now your fucked !

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm not that old, but it definitely seems that Bush was treated worse than Obama is. I don't know about the others I can only make that comparison.
23-11-2013, 04:44 PM
It is arguable that President Nixon and Watergate had a lot to do with the disrespect and hatred towards the Presidential Office since. Although I'm sure presidents have always been hated by one group or another since day one.
28-11-2013, 05:24 PM
(15-10-2013 05:50 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Even though I've lived during Clinton's second term and all of Bush's presidency, the only one I remember is Obama's presidency. Before Obama, I wasn't really at an age where I knew about politics besides what my mom had drilled into my head ("The Republican is always the good guy." I feel differently now). The only thing I remember about Bush was really Katrina because that was the only thing that directly influenced me and a little bit of Iraq. So for those of you who actually remember other presidents, I ask, are they always hated as much as Obama is? At least by the opposition? Just something I'm curious about . . .

Good Question.

Yes...Presidents have been hated 10x worse than Obama. In my lifetime, the hate people had for Nixon and Johnson made the hate of Tea Partiers, Conspiracists and other Right-wing whackos look tame by comparison - for it was based on tangible policies and actions. Specifically, the Vietnam War and Watergate.
28-11-2013, 08:33 PM
(02-11-2013 06:52 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  (2) I really really get mad when people say/post that dislike of Obama is due to racism or religious bias. When you make a comment like that you are simply guilty of the same transgression.
One cannot say that everyone who dislikes Obama is a racist.
But some of them are.
Quote:(3) if you want a list of reasons why I dislike Obama:
I agree
Quote:b- campaign promise fails (e.g. Guantanamo Bay, war in Afghanistan)
I agree with these. I think he really wants to close down Guantanamo Bay,
but it is harder than he thought.
Quote:c- explosion of the US debt with NO impact on the economy
Dow Jones disagrees.
Quote:d- petty revenge tactics with the shut down (e.g. closing parks and having Park rangers act as goon squads)
Entirely republicans fault.
Quote:e- The complete failure so far of Obamacare including suppression of information about enrollments and cronyism with the award of contracts
[quote]
You can't blame him for that. He did not award it to himself.
Quote:g- The NSA's activities and the administrations complete dismissal of concern. His denial of knowledge is laughable and if true shows a leader out of touch with important government actions.
I agree that the NSA has gone overboard. Of course this all started
during the Bush administration, but Obama continued it and I am against it.
Quote:h- IRS scandal and the administrations complete dismissal of concern
What IRS scandal?
Quote:i- manipulation of employment statistics for political gain in addition to reworking the CPI calculation to mask inflation
j- Benghazi cover up
No matter how hard the republicans try, you cannot make a scandal
out of this.
Quote:k- bullying of the press
???
[quote]
{/quote]
???
28-11-2013, 08:50 PM
A song about Martin Van Buren, 8th president of the United States:

Who never did a noble deed?
Who of the people took no heed?
Who is the worst of tyrant's breed?
Van Buren!

Who, while but a little boy,
Was counted crafty, cunning, sly
Who with the wily fox could vie?
Van Buren!

Who when an urchin, young at school
Would of each classmate make a tool
In cheating who the roost would rule
Van Buren!

By scheming who to England went?
By intrigue who is President?
By proxy who has millions spent?
Van Buren!

Who wants to bring the poor man down
To work a week for half-a-crown?
Such twenty seven monarchs own
Van Buren!

Who when distress and want was ours
Profusely scattered golden showers
To buy French Artificial flowers
Van Buren!

Who never had an honest thought
Who to their senses others brought?
And has himself a Tartar caught?
Van Buren!

Who like the wily serpent clings
Who like the pois'nous adder string
Who is more base than basest Kings
Van Buren!

Who rules us with an iron rod
Who moves at Satan's beck and nod
Who heeds not man who heeds not God?
Van Buren!

Who would his friend his country sell
Do other deeds too base to tell
Deserves the lowest place in Hell
Van Buren!

Ref: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=83400

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2013, 08:40 PM
(28-11-2013 05:24 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(15-10-2013 05:50 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Even though I've lived during Clinton's second term and all of Bush's presidency, the only one I remember is Obama's presidency. Before Obama, I wasn't really at an age where I knew about politics besides what my mom had drilled into my head ("The Republican is always the good guy." I feel differently now). The only thing I remember about Bush was really Katrina because that was the only thing that directly influenced me and a little bit of Iraq. So for those of you who actually remember other presidents, I ask, are they always hated as much as Obama is? At least by the opposition? Just something I'm curious about . . .

Good Question.

Yes...Presidents have been hated 10x worse than Obama. In my lifetime, the hate people had for Nixon and Johnson made the hate of Tea Partiers, Conspiracists and other Right-wing whackos look tame by comparison - for it was based on tangible policies and actions. Specifically, the Vietnam War and Watergate.

I haven't read all the posts but your right, Julius. Obama hate is tame compared to some one like LBJ. I was a kid during the Vietnam war and I remember some of the vitriol thrown at Lyndon Johnson. "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today" was a catch phrase common during the Vietnam war. He entered the office not well liked, after Kennedy, and left office despised. His ego was enormous. He renamed his wife Lady Bird Johnson and his kids Lucy Baines Johnson and Linda Bird Johnson so everyone would have the same initials in their names as he had. A totally unpleasant man in every respect.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
30-11-2013, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 12:48 AM by Free Thought.)

Since this thread was resurrected, for whatever reason, I'mma answer somewhat illegitimately and say:
Herbert Hoover.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2013, 11:09 PM

I'm not really sure where you get the idea that Obama is hated. It may be that in the part of the country where you live (or even a micro community) he is. Or you may just think that he is. But his popularity polls are average right now, and have been above average for most of his presidency. He is also in his second term and statistically the next president will be a republican. Since he was a two term president.