Have You Ever Heard This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Have You Ever Heard This?
When I was a child I was terrified of thunderstorms. Of course this is with good reason, I live in Tornado Alley so the constant sound of sirens and thunder scared the hell out of me. But my grandmother told me this: "When there is a thunderstorm it's the Angels bowling." I was wondering if anyone else was told this because I heard it a lot and it didn't relieve me of my fear. Eventually I overcame my phobia but these words remained with me. What do you think?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Transgender Spawn of Satan LOLEvil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: Have You Ever Heard This?
I have heard that before. I would never tell my child that. I'd tell them the truth.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Never heard this but this is hilarious Laughat

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
21-07-2014, 02:37 PM
(21-07-2014 11:09 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have heard that before. I would never tell my child that. I'd tell them the truth.

Hi, Hobbitgirl.

How do you (and others) feel about Santa Claus etc? I never discussed religion with my kids. Had one or more of them asked, I would have said "Some people believe in something called God, but your Mum and I don't". I didn't really worry about Santa (more exactly, Sinterklaas here in The Netherlands). I felt that that particular piece of nonsense added to the charm of Xmas. Plus I knew my kids would soon outgrow it. But I also knew that, strictly speaking, I was being inconsistent.

I wonder how many of us tell our kids "little white lies". I'd never tell my kids rubbish about angels bowling.
21-07-2014, 02:49 PM
(21-07-2014 02:37 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 11:09 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have heard that before. I would never tell my child that. I'd tell them the truth.

Hi, Hobbitgirl.

How do you (and others) feel about Santa Claus etc? I never discussed religion with my kids. Had one or more of them asked, I would have said "Some people believe in something called God, but your Mum and I don't". I didn't really worry about Santa (more exactly, Sinterklaas here in The Netherlands). I felt that that particular piece of nonsense added to the charm of Xmas. Plus I knew my kids would soon outgrow it. But I also knew that, strictly speaking, I was being inconsistent.

I wonder how many of us tell our kids "little white lies". I'd never tell my kids rubbish about angels bowling.

I'm actually in the process of growing my first child. The father and I have discussed how to approach these kinds of subjects at length. So far I think this is where I am at anyway.

For Santa, if we decide to do Santa I'm hoping we can turn it into a lesson. When she gets old enough to start hearing the rumors that *gasp* hes not real, I'm going to ask her what she thinks and encourage her to look into it and ask questions. Make it into a thinking exercise.

We would like to do the same thing with god, encourage her to make her own decision by looking for the information. Of course I will be honest with her and let her know how I see it. But I never want to be the parent that forces those beliefs or lack-thereof on her, otherwise I'll be as guilty as the christians I hate for doing the same.

(That being said she will NOT be allowed to go to friends churches alone until shes old enough to think for herself critically, I want either me or her father to be there to answer questions honestly)
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure you got that wrong; Leprechauns are in charge of the bowling that causes thunder. Yes

That's what I heard, anyway.
My relatives believed in telling me (in fun) shit so outlandish that it would never be confused with reality. By the time religion and it's stories came along, I'd already made up my mind that whatever anyone tells me is a story and it's always in need of scrutinizing. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-07-2014, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 03:18 PM by Dom.)
When I was a little girl, I discovered that I could whistle songs. I went nuts with it and whistled and whistled...

My grandma took me to the side and said: "Every time a girl whistles, Mother Mary cries in heaven."

I whistled anyway, just not around grandma.

Years later, when had read the bible, I deconverted. It didn't happen overnight but it didn't take long either. It was a series of thoughts about what I had read and what people had said. Grandma's comment came to mind then, and added to my deciding religion was silly.

I bet there are all kinds of stupid sayings like that out there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-07-2014, 06:20 AM
(21-07-2014 11:06 AM)XTeaganC2014 Wrote:  But my grandmother told me this: "When there is a thunderstorm it's the Angels bowling." I was wondering if anyone else was told this because I heard it a lot and it didn't relieve me of my fear.

I was told about that explanation, but my parents opted to tell me the truth about thunder and lightning when I was young. My dad explained the thunder being the air coming back together after being separated by the lightning, and then he clapped his hands. Apparently, I was a pretty logical kid and they recognized that. Similarly, if they explained why a rule was in place, I was more likely to listen to it.

...and they still sent me to church. Yay, compartmentalization!
22-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Yes, this 100%.

(21-07-2014 02:37 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  How do you (and others) feel about Santa Claus etc?

If it were just me raising my girls, I wouldn't teach them that Santa is real. I have a bit of an issue lying to my kids, and the whole notion makes me uncomfortable. I ultimately caved because of my wife. Basically, she tells them about Santa, and I tend to remain fairly silent on the issue.
22-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I first heard the bowling comment from on old lady down the street when I was a kid. Just last year, I was teaching archery to some Girl Scouts and one girl said it was " the devil beating his wife" or something along those lines. I can't remember exactly, but remember I posted about it when it happened.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller