Have You Ever Heard This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: Have You Ever Heard This?
(21-07-2014 02:37 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 11:09 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have heard that before. I would never tell my child that. I'd tell them the truth.

Hi, Hobbitgirl.

How do you (and others) feel about Santa Claus etc? I never discussed religion with my kids. Had one or more of them asked, I would have said "Some people believe in something called God, but your Mum and I don't". I didn't really worry about Santa (more exactly, Sinterklaas here in The Netherlands). I felt that that particular piece of nonsense added to the charm of Xmas. Plus I knew my kids would soon outgrow it. But I also knew that, strictly speaking, I was being inconsistent.

I wonder how many of us tell our kids "little white lies". I'd never tell my kids rubbish about angels bowling.

Hi JockMcDock,

When I have kids, I think I want to keep the spirit or magic of Christmas alive, at least a little bit, by encouraging fantasy. However I will not lie! (Although I also might side step some questions, and I might do some things that are slightly misleading.)

My Santa backstory is: Santa was part of Christmas, but I never believed it was real. We always got presents from Santa, but never really talked about it.

My rough plan for my future kids: Describe the story of Santa with words like, "Some say..." or "It was once believed..." or "Many think...". And I'll totally put presents under the tree and in the stockings from Santa, and maybe even pull other pranks with reindeer hoof prints, a person in a Santa suit getting caught running out of the house, or milk and cookies. It'll be a fun game to see how long it takes them to figure it out (I'm slightly evil, I know). But I will not tell them that Santa is real, or tell them what I think. I will let them figure it out. it is a good mental exercise, and a great introduction to the effect of religion on society.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I loved Christmas. I had some of the best times of my life. I'd hate to think that my parents would have deprived me of it. There is a time for fairy tales, and there is a time to grow up.

I don't think fairy tales are bad at all, there is a time when the mind needs to spread out and fantasize and explore alternative realities, and that age is before constructive school learning starts. I think it facilitates creativeness and inventiveness later in life. If all thought is disciplined and structured from little on, that mind becomes used to thinking within limits and not outside the box.

Just my personal opinion based on my personal observations.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-07-2014, 01:55 PM
(22-07-2014 11:15 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 02:37 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Hi, Hobbitgirl.

How do you (and others) feel about Santa Claus etc? I never discussed religion with my kids. Had one or more of them asked, I would have said "Some people believe in something called God, but your Mum and I don't". I didn't really worry about Santa (more exactly, Sinterklaas here in The Netherlands). I felt that that particular piece of nonsense added to the charm of Xmas. Plus I knew my kids would soon outgrow it. But I also knew that, strictly speaking, I was being inconsistent.

I wonder how many of us tell our kids "little white lies". I'd never tell my kids rubbish about angels bowling.

Hi JockMcDock,

When I have kids, I think I want to keep the spirit or magic of Christmas alive, at least a little bit, by encouraging fantasy. However I will not lie! (Although I also might side step some questions, and I might do some things that are slightly misleading.)

My Santa backstory is: Santa was part of Christmas, but I never believed it was real. We always got presents from Santa, but never really talked about it.

My rough plan for my future kids: Describe the story of Santa with words like, "Some say..." or "It was once believed..." or "Many think...". And I'll totally put presents under the tree and in the stockings from Santa, and maybe even pull other pranks with reindeer hoof prints, a person in a Santa suit getting caught running out of the house, or milk and cookies. It'll be a fun game to see how long it takes them to figure it out (I'm slightly evil, I know). But I will not tell them that Santa is real, or tell them what I think. I will let them figure it out. it is a good mental exercise, and a great introduction to the effect of religion on society.

Your "evil tricks" reminded me of something.
When I was little my grandfather made me a huge train set (he was a big model train guy) for santa to bring me. Mum set it up so that there was newspaper by the chimney to protect the carpet, and in the morning there were sootie black foot prints on the paper. I loved it.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Santa isn't harmful for the most part, as long as youre giving your children the tools to recognize fantasy from reality at the same time. Like adrien said it can be a very good exercise in critical thinking.
22-07-2014, 02:33 PM
(22-07-2014 01:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 11:15 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hi JockMcDock,

Your "evil tricks" reminded me of something.
When I was little my grandfather made me a huge train set (he was a big model train guy) for santa to bring me. Mum set it up so that there was newspaper by the chimney to protect the carpet, and in the morning there were sootie black foot prints on the paper. I loved it.

I made a red Santa sack for my kids. I did the soot marks...

But the biggest thing was when I'd locate the ONE thing for them they thought I couldn't know they wanted.

It happened a couple times...

The one thing that bugged me was Santa got credit for the good toys. Undecided

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-07-2014, 02:42 PM
(22-07-2014 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 01:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Your "evil tricks" reminded me of something.

But the biggest thing was when I'd locate the ONE thing for them they thought I couldn't know they wanted.

That is the one thing I hated more than anything about sustaining the Santa myth with my daughter, I got in the habit of attributing the second best gift to Santa, the best one was from me.

The Santa myth falls naturally at an early age if you don't feed it. My daughter milked it after she stopped believing because she thought it would get her more gifts. Dodgy

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-07-2014, 03:12 PM
(22-07-2014 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 01:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Your "evil tricks" reminded me of something.

Haha! I'm going to keep that in mind. Santa wont bring the best gift....santa can bring teddie bears Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Have You Ever Heard This?
You guys are making me question whether it was a good idea to keep the myth alive with our girls. They figured it out on their own, sure. And I'm sure it was mostly harmless.

But it's just now occurring to me that we advised our kids there was a time when it was acceptable to take gifts from a stranger who would sneak into the house while we were asleep and to offer him food and drink. Hmmm.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
22-07-2014, 04:10 PM
(21-07-2014 11:06 AM)XTeaganC2014 Wrote:  When I was a child I was terrified of thunderstorms. Of course this is with good reason, I live in Tornado Alley so the constant sound of sirens and thunder scared the hell out of me. But my grandmother told me this: "When there is a thunderstorm it's the Angels bowling." I was wondering if anyone else was told this because I heard it a lot and it didn't relieve me of my fear. Eventually I overcame my phobia but these words remained with me. What do you think?

My father has something very similar; "Zeus is bowling" he'd say. Lightning was Zeus being mad when he got a gutter-ball, and thunder was a strike.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes I have heard that saying.

I did joke with them about the angels bowling during a thunderstorm, but they knew it wasn't true. I love everything about storms, would open all the windows & watch a storm like a t.v. show. Luckily neither one was ever afraid.

My kids also always knew that santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc., weren't real. They didn't lose a thing in knowing the truth. Kids don't really care who puts presents under the tree, or chocolate in their baskets. Of course I had to explain to them that other kids did believe, and we couldn't say anything. They enjoyed secretly knowing the truth.

We still pretended and they loved that. I'd whisper they had better get to bed, so the easter bunny or santa could come by (wink wink), left money under their pillow & acted surprised when they found it the next morning, then we'd have a good giggle.

So you can be honest with your kids and have just as much fun.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post