Have You Ever Heard This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 08:33 PM
RE: Have You Ever Heard This?
Yeah I remember hearing that one as a kid too, but I didn't think it was clever enough so I made up my own explanation. Here's how it goes.

See, every time it storms it's because god lost his keys and he's pissed. So he's storming around up there looking for them in the dark. When you see lightning, it's his flashlight shining through the holes in the clouds, but then after his flashlight moves on he can't see the hole so he trips on them and crashes into the clouds and that's the thunder.

I came up with that at a pretty young age, picturing it always made me smile. Laughat

Consider

I wonder just how long I've really been an atheist at heart....... Blink

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-07-2014, 10:20 PM
I've never heard that one before. Sounds pretty ridiculous; I'm not sure I would compare it to something like Santa Claus, as Santa isn't made up to explain anything. Even when you believed in Santa, you still knew that your parents, other family members, and friends would give you gifts. It wasn't like these wrapped presents just sprang up under the tree while you were sitting there and an explanation had to be made up on the spot for them.

No one ever explained things like rain to me as "god crying," or wind as "god sneezing," but there's one for thunder that sticks out to me, and it's that thunder is the sound of "god laughing."

And that, to me, is both terrifying and asinine lol.

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" --Ellen Ripley
23-07-2014, 01:13 PM
(21-07-2014 11:06 AM)XTeaganC2014 Wrote:  When I was a child I was terrified of thunderstorms. Of course this is with good reason, I live in Tornado Alley so the constant sound of sirens and thunder scared the hell out of me. But my grandmother told me this: "When there is a thunderstorm it's the Angels bowling." I was wondering if anyone else was told this because I heard it a lot and it didn't relieve me of my fear. Eventually I overcame my phobia but these words remained with me. What do you think?

I was told the same thing.
23-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Have You Ever Heard This?
I enjoyed this explanation:

[Image: hE30CB23D]

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 6 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
23-07-2014, 11:38 PM
(22-07-2014 03:38 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  You guys are making me question whether it was a good idea to keep the myth alive with our girls. They figured it out on their own, sure. And I'm sure it was mostly harmless.

But it's just now occurring to me that we advised our kids there was a time when it was acceptable to take gifts from a stranger who would sneak into the house while we were asleep and to offer him food and drink. Hmmm.

Hey don't feel bad. I did a lot of things right with my kids, but I also raised them in church. Confused Once I knew it was wrong, I stopped it, and did the best I could to help them. They are absolutely fine now. We do the best we can, with what we know at the time!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain