Have a ? on letter writing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2013, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 12:20 PM by Anjele.)
Have a ? on letter writing
Figured I would ask some of the smartest people I know for some input.
In my job, I don't write a lot of letters because it's seldom necessary. Because of that I am kind of out of the loop on this.
What do you think is the best salutation and closing for a business letter?
"Dear" seems pretty standard and has been used forever...is there a new way to go with that?
And what about closing, right before your name/title? "Sincerely", Regards"?
In the letter I am currently writing "Thank You" seems wrong because I am terminating further business with the company I am writing. What's the current proper way to open and close a letter.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: Have a ? on letter writing
Anj, for what it's worth, when I was working in an office and was writing heaps of letters, faxes and emails to folk all over the world, the ending (both on our and their end) was Regards, Best regards, Kind regards or even Kindest regards (if you particularly like the other party. There have been some "faxual" flirting sometimes Tongue ). I think I've heard that endings like Yours truly, etc. are not really used much anymore.

Anyway, regards and its variants are always a safe option imho Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks, 'regards' or a variation of that seemed right to me but I wanted to check to see if there was a new favored closing.

05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Well, if you can't seal it with a kiss, regards is the next best thing Angel
[Image: l-Sealed-with-a-kiss.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
It's going to a Linda...I usually don't kiss Lindas...regards it is. Unsure

05-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Sometimes I use 'Thank you for your time' - 'Regards' is a good standard Drinking Beverage

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
05-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I use that also Rora, but my last paragraph thanked them for their past business...I didn't know if I should then close with another thank you, it seemed like too much.

Basically, the company decided to short pay us a percentage to cover their admin fees...we didn't offer a discount to them, they just decided they were entitled and took it. A 6% discount.

I really wanted to tell them to just go away but had to fluff it up a bit to be more professional.

05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
(05-03-2013 12:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Figured I would ask some of the smartest people I know for some input.
In my job, I don't write a lot of letters because it's seldom necessary. Because of that I am kind of out of the loop on this.
What do you think is the best salutation and closing for a business letter?
"Dear" seems pretty standard and has been used forever...is there a new way to go with that?
And what about closing, right before your name/title? "Sincerely", Regards"?
In the letter I am currently writing "Thank You" seems wrong because I am terminating further business with the company I am writing. What's the current proper way to open and close a letter.
Hi Anje.
I'm not at all politically correct but think "Sincere regards" may be O,K.
"hELLO THERE" TO OPEN Huh
05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
For impersonal professional correspondence, I was taught and still use "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam" or "To Whom It May Concern" to open depending on whether my message was a response or the initial contact and "Sincerely" to close. For personal professional correspondence where I know and work with the other person I use "Hi" and "Thanks". For personal unprofessional correspondence I generally use "The Fuck's Up" and "Later Leroy".

The Fuck's Up Woofmeister,

Nice to see you back.

Later Leroy,
Girly

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-03-2013, 08:06 PM
(05-03-2013 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For impersonal professional correspondence, I was taught and still use "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam" or "To Whom It May Concern" to open depending on whether my message was a response or the initial contact and "Sincerely" to close. For personal professional correspondence where I know and work with the other person I use "Hi" and "Thanks". For personal unprofessional correspondence I generally use "The Fuck's Up" and "Later Leroy".

The Fuck's Up Woofmeister,

Nice to see you back.

Later Leroy,
Girly
Dear Madam sounds as if you're writing to a brothel!

Yeah back again, I annoy myself too with these geriatric gaffs....... Consider Laughat