Have any other lifeforms evolved due to man?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Have any other lifeforms evolved due to man?
I was wondering if any other creature/lifeform on this planet has evolved [either by chance or by force] due to how humans operate in the world? What do you think? I know we domesticated certain animals, but I was wondering about wildlife that maybe had to do some type of evolutionary changes because of man [deforestation, polution, population, etc].

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
RE: Have any other lifeforms evolved due to man?
The classic one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Quote: Originally, the vast majority of peppered moths had light colouration, which effectively camouflaged them against the light-coloured trees and lichens which they rested upon. However, because of widespread pollution during the Industrial Revolution in England, many of the lichens died out, and the trees that peppered moths rested on became blackened by soot, causing most of the light-coloured moths, or typica, to die off from predation. At the same time, the dark-coloured, or melanic, moths, carbonaria, flourished because of their ability to hide on the darkened trees.[1]

Since then, with improved environmental standards, light-coloured peppered moths have again become common
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
04-04-2014, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 01:05 PM by rampant.a.i..)
Bacteria are the first that come to mind. In the span of 50 years, they've evolved to become resistant to man made antibiotics. Artificially selected organisms, from agriculture to livestock and pets are examples of human-influenced evolution by selective breeding, not just domestication.

Bananas and strawberries, for example, were artificially selected into the forms they appear today. The variety of domestic dogs and horses have taken different evolutionary paths because of direct human involvement.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
04-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Well, that's true. Wild horses won't come close to where [for example] a clydedale is today. How much of that was actually man specifically making it happen?

I'm more interested in natural changes based on the explosion of the human population. Now, other than bacteria, it may very well be that not enough time has passed for any observable changes, and I can live with that. The thought just came to me the other day and I had to ask here. Smile

Please continue to comment. Very interesting.
04-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Atlantic Tomcod these are now highly adapted to the PCB and Dioxin in the hudson river.

Spotted Slamanders There are likely a lot more like these species out there.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
(04-04-2014 01:00 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  The classic one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Quote: Originally, the vast majority of peppered moths had light colouration, which effectively camouflaged them against the light-coloured trees and lichens which they rested upon. However, because of widespread pollution during the Industrial Revolution in England, many of the lichens died out, and the trees that peppered moths rested on became blackened by soot, causing most of the light-coloured moths, or typica, to die off from predation. At the same time, the dark-coloured, or melanic, moths, carbonaria, flourished because of their ability to hide on the darkened trees.[1]

Since then, with improved environmental standards, light-coloured peppered moths have again become common

I thought that one was a myth or something. Consider

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
I suppose really domestic animals are the most obvious example.

There was a brilliant one featured in the original Cosmos series by Carl Sagan.

A species of crab caught and eaten in Japan has evolved a carapace with human-like facial features. This is because of a legend of a tribe of Samurai warriors who were drowned, and who's spirits were said to wander the seabed.

The crabs, purely by chance developed vaguely human-like markings on their backs... The result being that fishermen started throwing them back, believing them to be the lost Samurais... Gradually the carapaces have become more and more human-like, as its clearly beneficial to their survival.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
04-04-2014, 11:42 PM
(04-04-2014 12:56 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  I was wondering if any other creature/lifeform on this planet has evolved [either by chance or by force] due to how humans operate in the world? What do you think? I know we domesticated certain animals, but I was wondering about wildlife that maybe had to do some type of evolutionary changes because of man [deforestation, polution, population, etc].

Thanks!

Dogs, cats, horses, domestic farm animals (food and working animals like pack mules), farming crops. Perhaps rats and pigeons.
05-04-2014, 09:19 AM
(04-04-2014 11:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 12:56 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  I was wondering if any other creature/lifeform on this planet has evolved [either by chance or by force] due to how humans operate in the world? What do you think? I know we domesticated certain animals, but I was wondering about wildlife that maybe had to do some type of evolutionary changes because of man [deforestation, polution, population, etc].

Thanks!

Dogs, cats, horses, domestic farm animals (food and working animals like pack mules), farming crops. Perhaps rats and pigeons.

Definitely Pigeons... Darwin talks about them at length in The Origin of Species.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I believe there is a bacteria that evolved to eat nylon. The bacteria had been exposed to waist water for numerous years.......well.....here's a short thing about it from Wikipedia which explains it better......

"In 1975 a team of Japanese scientists discovered a strain of Flavobacterium, living in ponds containing waste water from a nylon factory, that was capable of digesting certain byproducts of nylon 6 manufacture, such as the linear dimer of 6-aminohexanoate. These substances are not known to have existed before the invention of nylon in 1935. Further study revealed that the three enzymes the bacteria were using to digest the byproducts were significantly different from any other enzymes produced by other Flavobacterium strains (or, for that matter, any other bacteria), and not effective on any material other than the manmade nylon byproducts.[1]"

Evolution at work too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.