Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)
MLM. For those of you not familiar with what I’m talking about let me throw out some names you might be familiar with: Amway, Avon, Herbalife, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Plexus and LuLaRoe.

They promise great wealth working out of your own home while setting your own schedule and working when you can. The thing is that 99% of people who try this LOSE money and sometimes their well-being. These are companies set up as Pyramid Schemes and as far as I’m concerned use predatory practices to lure in the most vulnerable. I despise them. Angry

Twice I have been “invited” to a “party” where I was blindsided to one of these. Once to my boss’ home and another to a family member’s. My boss at the time told me he was having a get together at his house, no mention was made of Amway. I took a date and before long seats were arranged in a semi-circle so he could plug all the benefits of being your own entrepreneur. I left pretty disgusted and embarrassed. I don’t think my date ever went out with me after that.

The second time was at a relative’s house. Again, under the guise of a get-together/party. Before long she was extolling the virtues of phone cards. Having sat through my boss’ spiel years before I immediately recognized it for what it was and simply stood up and walked out of her house. I waited for my wife and friends to follow me but they sat through the whole thing so as not to be rude. Fuck being rude! Rude is being tricked to coming over for drinks and munchies and then being ensnared in a sales pitch!

I know of several friends and family who were entangled in an MLM scheme and ended up with a garage full of product they couldn’t sell.

Here is the article that reminded me of those times.

Have any of you had any experience with them, and if so, would you mind sharing so as to keep others from falling into the oh so alluring trap?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
21-10-2017, 09:08 AM
RE: Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)
One time a colleague invited me to join him for lunch. We went to a take out only BBQ place. I was like, "Aren't we gonna sit down somewhere?" Nope. I got one of those shredded pork sandwiches and he ate a lunch he packed himself. Fucking American cheese, mayo, and generic wonderbread. Then he starts giving me this pitch about some kind of "polarized" water he was selling. He seemed upset that I wasn't even interested in a free gallon. Kept going on about how it cured everything under the sun. He was obviously in a really fucked up jam.

Like most people I've been hit up with Amway and other weird shit. One person who was selling Amway gave me a bunch of free shampoo and soap because she couldn't sell it and it was clogging up her house. I took it but in general, not only could she not sell it, she couldn't even give it away. Probably ended up at the dump.
21-10-2017, 09:15 AM
My sister got sucked into the Amway abyss some years back. She went to conventions and really thought she was going to make it rich. One year we all got travel bags for holding toiletries...I do have to say it held up for years and years and my mother bought a ton of supplements from her.

We don't talk about that phase of her life.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Funnily enough, I'm not good enough 'friends' with anybody to be suckered into one of these schemes. Plus being the massive introvert that I am, I'd decline any random co-worker party invite anyways (unless I knew beforehand that we'd be doing something really awesome, like fighting giants robots or something). So nobody has tried to sell me such a line, and being aware of them for some time, I'm probably too wary and non-committal to ever get blindsided by such a shindig.

Honestly, I don't know whether I should be relieved or insulted that nobody has considered me worthy enough of being roped into such bullshit. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Ugh.

My mom bought into Amway and Avon when I was younger, the into young living essential oils a few years ago.

Almost always roped in by someone she knew from church.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-10-2017, 09:55 AM
I once considered getting into Mary Kay, but it never went past the consideration phase. I was too young to have recognized it for the scheme it was, but either way, I did recognize that I'm not cut out for sales.

Other than that, I've never known anyone who was into MLMs, but I've seen reports about this on tv. It's a disgusting practice, and there will be no government intervention any time soon with Trump in office. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-10-2017, 10:07 AM
My son's girlfriend works in the corporate offices for AdvoCare. She is an admin assistant for the accounting department. She doesn't make much of a base salary but does get a couple bonuses a year and has health insurance and paid time off that's pretty generous. They also do a lot of 'team building' activities. She seems to have quite a wardrobe of AdvoCare shirts and jackets (read free advertising).

Funny, I just went to the website and got this:

AdvoCare.com does not support private browsing and with this feature turned on your experience on our site will not be optimal. If you would like to continue, we recommend turning off private browsing.

Actually, you get no experience as you can't get past the warning. I guess they want to know who is a potential sucker. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
21-10-2017, 10:55 AM
(21-10-2017 10:07 AM)Anjele Wrote:  They also do a lot of 'team building' activities.

Sales always has lots of those, whether you are in a Fortune 500 company or an MLM. I think of it as a combination of motivation, brain-washing and misery loves company. Confused

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-10-2017, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2017 11:49 AM by ShadowProject.)
Oh, YES. As a mom, I am surrounded by fellow moms who are looking to make some extra cash while they SAH w/ their kids. I cannot even tell you how many 'parties' I have been invited to both online and IRL. People freaking add me to groups on FB all the time.

p.s. beware Plexus, it's owned by a religious nutbag group

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
21-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Where to begin?

My grandmother, stepmother, aunt, and briefly my mother and my sister, have all been Mary Kay salespeople. When we went to Dallas for Christmas, we usually took a trip to MK headquarters to see the gaudy pink and white decorations. We watched MK propaganda films along with home movies. My mother's cosmetics stash was heavy on fugly, greasy MK eye shadows and lipsticks. I had shelves' worth of excess-stock Christmas presents.

My stepmother was a pink Cadillac level regional sales director for years. That is, she moved so much product that the company rewarded her annually with a leased car. If you want a ride more terrifying than the twistiest rollercoaster, you should try driving into Boston via the expressway in a pink Caddy with "I Love Mary Kay Cosmetics" stenciled on the windows, driven by my father at a top speed of 40 MPH.

My stepmother is a fantastic salesperson and a good manager and motivator. If she'd gone into real estate or insurance or many other businesses, she'd be a millionaire several times over with a bunch of money saved for retirement, great health insurance, etc. Because she spent 35 years working for Mary Kay, she's in a much less solid financial position. (For which she blames herself, since she never quite made it to national sales director, the level where the decent benefits kick in.)

For a while my stepmother had me subscribed to her monthly team newsletter, which was hilarious and tragic. It exhorted the MK contractors to sell-sell-sell and recruit-recruit-recruit. Also, they were to put God first, family second, and work third. As to where they were to put themselves...that didn't make the list.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post