Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2017, 08:10 PM
RE: Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)
Never been a ‘victim’ per se. I have bought products from groups like Amway and most are good quality. But the fantasy that you are going to become a multi millionaire in a matter of months by becoming a sales rep for these firms is just that. Just goes to show you how ignorant people are of how markets work. Yeah these sales practices should be banned as they are legal pyramid schemes (good luck with that!) and I had to part ways with someone I knew in my town because they started recruiting me to sell for one of these firms. It’s a dead end and the product he was selling was some natural remedy hippie juice bullshit and I knew it. I can sniff out this kind of bullshit faster than you can say Quantum healing.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2017, 10:32 PM
(21-10-2017 08:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  MLM. For those of you not familiar with what I’m talking about let me throw out some names you might be familiar with: Amway, Avon, Herbalife, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Plexus and LuLaRoe.

They promise great wealth working out of your own home while setting your own schedule and working when you can. The thing is that 99% of people who try this LOSE money and sometimes their well-being. These are companies set up as Pyramid Schemes and as far as I’m concerned use predatory practices to lure in the most vulnerable. I despise them. Angry

Twice I have been “invited” to a “party” where I was blindsided to one of these. Once to my boss’ home and another to a family member’s. My boss at the time told me he was having a get together at his house, no mention was made of Amway.

I be really pissed about being manipulated.
I don't have migraines, but it's a great excuse to make a sudden exit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Many years ago, my mum was an Avon lady, and being a single mum I had to go with her as she sold this garbage. Years later, my wife bought into a few of these things. First it was BodyShop stuff (a UK company that sells like creams/make up) and then something else that is essentially selling really posh candles.

I can see how it's doable, and I think Avon actually helped my mum make "some" money, back in the day, although it's always like: You get 5 friends to join, then they get 5 friends to join, when if you do the math, you run out of people to join in the end.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2017, 11:20 AM
(22-10-2017 10:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-10-2017 08:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  MLM. For those of you not familiar with what I’m talking about let me throw out some names you might be familiar with: Amway, Avon, Herbalife, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Plexus and LuLaRoe.

They promise great wealth working out of your own home while setting your own schedule and working when you can. The thing is that 99% of people who try this LOSE money and sometimes their well-being. These are companies set up as Pyramid Schemes and as far as I’m concerned use predatory practices to lure in the most vulnerable. I despise them. Angry

Twice I have been “invited” to a “party” where I was blindsided to one of these. Once to my boss’ home and another to a family member’s. My boss at the time told me he was having a get together at his house, no mention was made of Amway.

I be really pissed about being manipulated.
I don't have migraines, but it's a great excuse to make a sudden exit.

Pissed off is right. That second time I just stood up, and without saying a word to anyone, walked out.
Later people told me they thought I had gone to the bathroom, what I did was go for a nice walk in the neighborhood.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-10-2017, 12:14 PM
(21-10-2017 11:50 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How in the actual fuck has nobody else posted this yet? Tongue

That part where the nut-case was on the stage ranting and raving to the Styrofoam tombstone embodies exactly what I think church services are like in some of these evangelical churches. It's all about hard-selling their product to the masses and reminding those who bought in what a good choice they made.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-10-2017, 08:44 AM
My step mom was really big into Amway in the early 90's. She gave up after a couple years.

My father-in-law (who hasn't liked the company he's at for years) was excited when an old friend approached him about a business opportunity. He met with the guy, and his face fell when he realized it was just a MLM pitch.

I knew a guy in high school who's parents were also in Amway at the same time as my step mom. His senior year, he was making $15 an hour (decent at the time for a high school job) at a brick-and-mortar electronics store. He decided he wasn't going to waste his time on college because he was doing well enough at that job and was going to get into Amway when school was done when he had the time to invest in it.
26-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Have you been a victim of MLM? (Multi Level Marketing schemes)
Religion is the biggest MLM scheme on Earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27-10-2017, 04:58 AM
(24-10-2017 08:44 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  My step mom was really big into Amway in the early 90's. She gave up after a couple years.

My father-in-law (who hasn't liked the company he's at for years) was excited when an old friend approached him about a business opportunity. He met with the guy, and his face fell when he realized it was just a MLM pitch.

I knew a guy in high school who's parents were also in Amway at the same time as my step mom. His senior year, he was making $15 an hour (decent at the time for a high school job) at a brick-and-mortar electronics store. He decided he wasn't going to waste his time on college because he was doing well enough at that job and was going to get into Amway when school was done when he had the time to invest in it.

Ugg, I recall: "Don't let the stinkin' thinkers steal your dream! You need the ($3) tape of the week and book of the month to keep you motivated!"

Man I made a lot of "haters" in my life. I'm surprised my employer didn't can my ass really. Spouting off that he was buying me at wholesale and selling my efforts at retail!
Which to this day is still true.

Then there is Bezos, who started in in garage selling old books (as did Gates and his computer geek friends) and has now topped the richest man on the planet @ 89.7 BILLION. Gates at $88 billion.

Bezos will own the world.
I would love to see him try and philanthropy spend just 1/2 of it. His snowball of wealth will take an unprecedented upset to stop that machine.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
28-10-2017, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2017 08:19 PM by Full Circle.)
LuLaRoe accused of being a pyramid scheme

Last Updated Oct 27, 2017 9:19 AM EDT

"LuLaRoe, the multilevel marketer that has come under fire for its business practices and the quality of its colorful womens' leggings, now faces a federal lawsuit in California. The company is accused of being an illegal pyramid scheme and of violating a federal racketeering law that has been used to target members of organized crime.”

Why am I not surprised? Consider

And:

One of two federal class-action lawsuits filed this month seeks at least $1 billion in damages from LuLaRoe, saying it encouraged women who wanted to merchandise its clothing to take out loans, run up credit cards and even sell their breast milk to stay in a “buy more sell more” spiral.

http://www.pe.com/2017/10/26/corona-comp...it-claims/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-10-2017, 08:21 PM
The woe of pyramid schemes can take unexpected tolls. In 1972 an ex-military jet owned by notorious pyramid scheme entrepreneur William Penn Patrick crashed into an ice cream parlor in Sacramento, the 3rd deadliest air disaster in the nation involving victims on the ground. Less than a year later Penn Patrick died in the crash of his own P-51, causing speculation the crash was suicide due to mounting legal pressures against him and his businesses. See also Holiday Magic and Mind Dynamics