Have you been in my position?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2014, 02:11 AM
RE: Have you been in my position?
Ultimately, my deconversion came from reading the bible alone. I had found a couple sites that listed pages of biblical contradictions, and I chose to study up on these myself.

The atheists had already done the work, and painstakingly, I might add. At first, I wanted to defend god's word. I was going to find the flaws in these supposed contradictions. Rolleyes

Oh I found flaws alright, but not what I expected. The contradictions are there 1,000 times over, and once you see them, you cannot unsee them. Then I began lurking on atheist sites, and without the fog of brainwashing, things became even more clear.

It took me quite a while to get to where I am now. It wasn't the easiest road, but well worth it.

Keep searching and asking questions! You are on the right track. Thumbsup

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
05-07-2014, 04:21 AM
(04-07-2014 02:11 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  At first, I wanted to defend god's word. I was going to find the flaws in these supposed contradictions.

That's what sent me on the path to atheism as well. I already knew these atheists were wrong, and fuck me if I wasn't gonna find out where and why.

A year later, I realized "Holy fuck, they're right…" and I accepted fully that I was an atheist.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Let's take a step back in time, way back to long before "jesus" time. People didn't understand what made them sick or how crops grew or failed. They were illiterate. It became a popular notion that something unforeseen was responsible so invisible gods were invented and there were many of them. And somewhere along the line it was decided that sacrifices were needed to appease these gods so assure good crops and healthy animals and even children were sacrificed. We are much better educated now and know that by sacrificing an animal or child other than being a horrific act does accomplishes nothing. We understand genetics and crop failures and what causes them, and the research in to keeping animals healthy, without gods. It was Christianity who invented the single god and Jesus was invented to get back at the Jews even tho Jesus was created as a Jew. Rome respected all religions and tried not to get involved. The fallacy around the crucifiction is that Rome crucified only slaves and murderers and they were bound to cross like structures, not nailed. It was a slow death because the chest collapses against the lungs until the heart gives out. Today, how many people would be willing to sacrifice a son so that the neighbors might be better people - not a one.
07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
(02-07-2014 01:56 PM)CaptainParker Wrote:  I do have somethings at are somewhat hard to explain but it seems that if god is real he allows some terrible things going on. I am not sure what to think, if god is real he allows all this stuff to go on, and if he is not then he isn't here. But for you full on atheist out here what is the reason why you are completely an atheist and can fully say there isn't a god?

I am asking in a curious and want to know manner and I am not joking about this but I just want your reason.

I am 99.999714% an atheist and sure that there isn't a god. The calculation is as follows:

[1] count my days when I can clearly remember things, and that is 9531 days till today.
[2] assume that I am 18 hours awake. This assumption is pretty much close to what has actually happened.
[3] count the lenghth of time during which I can clearly recall seeing a vivid and substantial Jesus/Maria/YHWH/Alla who are said to have said that they are omnipresent ... no I can remember any. Yet I have doubts about Olympia Gods 'cause I haven't been to Greece before. So I would set it to be 0.49 hour witnessing a god.

The rest, simple math.

Want something? Then do something.
08-07-2014, 08:32 PM
The last time I submitted myself to the earnest and well-meaning conversion (by a Presbyterian friend) she told me again and again to read the bible. But when I read the bible it gave me more to doubt, and so I left out the bible and it's horrifying tales of rape and murderous pogroms and ex-cons speaking for Jesus and just listened to her and asked questions until finally she stopped calling me and I never heard from her again. This was during a very rough few years I have since 'recovered' from.

It was in reading the books of the Christian bible, old and new Testaments, that destroyed any possibility I could even give Yahweh a 'maybe'.

Yet I remember that bizarre frame of mind in which all that shit about God is Love made 'sense' and can only conclude how easy it is to become delusional.

Fred Phelps is the first Christian to ever admit a truth clearly evident in the Christian bible, as far as I've yet heard. "God is a god of hate, it's all over the bible, read it for yourself" he told a journalist interviewing him, in defense of his congregation at one of his God Hates Fags protests.

Yep, no kidding.

A dear Christian friend of mine told me the new testament portion of the Christian bible trumps the old testament portion. I didn't have the heart to tell her if she uses the bible as her source for this rationale, it ain't there Sad . Now if a person simply chooses to cherry-pick parts of Jesus' message (taking care of the poor for instance) I'd be the last person to object, in fact, I agree wholeheartedly in caring for the poor, its my career as a nurse.
[+] 1 user Likes Hamsaka's post
09-07-2014, 02:28 AM
It is the way of healthy youth on the verge of adulthood to explore ideas and the self, get confused, question, get confused even more, settle on something--toss it away, explore some more, be indecisive, get confused, even to feel sad sometimes.

If the depression/sadness is getting away from you, talk to an adult you trust to help you.

I believe most people have felt the way you feel when they were your age.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles