Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?
This happened a long time ago in like 5th or 6th grade, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details, but I definitely remember having an assembly in the school lunch room where students brought their parents in to talk about various holidays that they celebrated. One girl's mom talked about the history of Kwanzaa, some kid's parents talked about el Dia De Los Muertos, and a Jewish kid talked about the "history" of Passover. This is when it got a little weird. At the end of the talk, they brought out a Seder meal and invited everyone to take part in it. They didn't pray or anything, but still it felt kind of wrong that they were encouraging kids to take part in a religious ritual in a public school.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?
That just sounds like religious cultures experience.

You got to taste some free food and learned a little bit about the religious customs of other people.

As long as one religion isn't favored over the other and you're not expected to memorize any of it for a test and it only happens once a year, I don't have much issue with that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 7 users Like Rahn127's post
08-02-2015, 12:14 PM
RE: Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?
I remember assemblies that had speakers who gave explicitly Christian messages. I can't recall any details, but I know that I was happy about it since I was a Christian at the time.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 1 user Likes KnowtheSilence's post
08-02-2015, 12:37 PM
When I was in primary school, we recited the Lord's Prayer each morning.

I don't remember in what grade we stopped.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2015, 12:55 PM
When I was in primary school a catholic priest gave lessons in "Religion and Ethics".

Which I think is still being done in several of the ass-end countries of Europe.

Such as Austria, Lithuania, Spain, Italy, Poland and Bulgaria.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
08-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Yes... It's compulsory in British schools.

We had prayers at the start of the day, before lunch and before we went home. Plus an assembly on Friday afternoons.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-02-2015, 01:10 PM
(08-02-2015 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  When I was in primary school, we recited the Lord's Prayer each morning.

Also, the school assemblies and concerts at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter were pretty overtly religious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Obligatory Monty Python...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2015, 01:21 PM
(08-02-2015 11:47 AM)cactus Wrote:  This happened a long time ago in like 5th or 6th grade, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details, but I definitely remember having an assembly in the school lunch room where students brought their parents in to talk about various holidays that they celebrated. One girl's mom talked about the history of Kwanzaa, some kid's parents talked about el Dia De Los Muertos, and a Jewish kid talked about the "history" of Passover. This is when it got a little weird. At the end of the talk, they brought out a Seder meal and invited everyone to take part in it. They didn't pray or anything, but still it felt kind of wrong that they were encouraging kids to take part in a religious ritual in a public school.

In jr high during our Winter choir thing, I sang a duet to "what child is this"

Actually what they did at your school sounds better to me.

We had a few Jewish kids at our school were sometimes picked on. It might have gone a long to end that.

Honestly, I think what your school did was neat. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
(08-02-2015 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  When I was in primary school, we recited the Lord's Prayer each morning.

When I went to a religious Christian grammar school. Each morning we said the pledge of allegiance to the Christian flag, the bible and then the American flag.

I remember thinking it felt odd that the American flag was last.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces