Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?
My last year in public school was 5th grade. I don't recall anything overt...yeah there were Christmas carols and we drew Easter bunnies with cotton ball tails...other than that I don't think there was anything that stands out as religious.

I recall a Jewish kid in school with me in 4th and 5th whose family always took vacation during the Christmas festivities. We were jealous that he got a week out of school and a trip and we got singing, candy canes, and tinsel.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-02-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: Have you ever been asked to take part in a religious ritual at a public school?
(08-02-2015 12:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yes... It's compulsory in British schools.

We had prayers at the start of the day, before lunch and before we went home. Plus an assembly on Friday afternoons.

Not so. Religious Education is compulsory, but not denominational masses. That's not to say it wasn't compulsory at your school.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
08-02-2015, 10:14 PM
When I was in forth grade, we sang some Christmas songs in class. I know at least one of them was religious. There may have been others, but I remember the one about Mary.

We also did Christmas pageants in elementary school each year. I cannot remember if there were religious carols in those or not. Other than that, there was the whole "under God" part of the pledge of allegiance.
09-02-2015, 05:39 AM
I didn't go to a public school ... we were a poor family.

Rituals Consider

The school (christian, grammar) used to have a goat as a mascot (it kept the cricket green trim (and a bit poo-ey)).

One day, some kid thought it would be fun to try some Satanic (Hammer Horror-style) stuff.

Long story short... assorted punishments and ... no goat.

Blush

09-02-2015, 07:34 AM
I'll show my age here and say that when I went to school there was a time where girls and boys lined up to enter separate doors. Silly because we all ended up together in the classroom. Anyway we started the day singing God Save the Queen and then said The Lords Prayer. We had Christmas concerts every year which of course included a nativity scene. I was one of the heavenly host one year. I loved to sing so for me this was the best time of year. Plus we had many days before the concert to practice so we got out of class to do that. Oh happy day Big Grin

My daughter had a teacher that used to read bible stories with the kids in school. That didn't last long. She was told not to. The kids sang Christmas songs during the holidays, had a concert and learned how others celebrated the holidays. That was about all the religion that was part of their schooling.
09-02-2015, 07:51 AM
I went to a boarding school in the UK. We had to go to on site church services twice a week and take "religious studies" up to O level (In fact it was christian studies, the Jews an the Mussies never got a look in).

Prior to going to boarding school, my day school had a daily assembly where a prayer was read and a hymn sung.

Gotta love having an official state religion....

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
09-02-2015, 07:59 AM
(08-02-2015 12:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yes... It's compulsory in British schools.

We had prayers at the start of the day, before lunch and before we went home. Plus an assembly on Friday afternoons.

sweet evil virgin monster of jesus!!!

what is wrong with this world ? Gasp
09-02-2015, 09:51 AM
In the third grade we sang some Christmas songs about Santa Claus but then we sang Away In the Manger and I still remember asking the girl who was standing next to me...."Who's this Jesus guy, anyway"

This was her face....something similar to this.....Ohmy Shocking

Lol. I had no idea who the damn song was about.

Total secular upbringing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-02-2015, 11:11 AM
My wrestling coach would have us say the lord's prayer before our wrestling matches.
10-02-2015, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 05:35 PM by gofish!.)
(09-02-2015 05:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I didn't go to a public school ... we were a poor family.

In the US, public school = state school. In the US poor people can only go to public schools.

Not like the UK's weird system of calling private schools "public". Just saying as some of our colonial cousins might find this statement a tad odd.

I might be wrong but I thought the OP was raising the point of state funded schools peddling religion.
</end Aspie>

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.