Have you ever been hypnotized?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 11:39 AM
RE: Have you ever been hypnotized?
(19-04-2017 09:46 AM)julep Wrote:  ...
I tried to learn self-hypnosis, not sure if it ever really worked.

How would you be able to tell?

Consider

Wink

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Hypnosis is just suggestion. The skill comes from crafting the right words and tailoring them in the correct manner.

If a person is willing, cooperative, obedient and not under the influence of drink/drugs then they will easily be hypnotised. The more resistant people can be brought under through different techniques and correct rapport building.

The more we learn about the brain, the more easier hypnotism will becomee to understand/explain.

Some people experience life changing events. They give up smoking, lose weight, move on, overcome phobias....... for some it just doesnt work.

Science will eventually show us why, then hopefully it will become regulated.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
19-04-2017, 12:43 PM
I wonder if atheists are less prone to being hypnotized and theists more easily hypnotized. Hummm.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-04-2017, 01:04 PM
(19-04-2017 12:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder if atheists are less prone to being hypnotized and theists more easily hypnotized. Hummm.

It wouldn't surprise me. It seems like going into it skeptical would make it less likely to work.

It reminds me of that no-contact martial artist who got slapped around (literally) by a skeptic. He supposedly could block and throw people without touching them, and had videos "proving" it. Turns out, it was all suggestion and the participants wanted it to work. A single skeptic was all it took to show the folly of a fighting style that relies on the willing belief of your opponent.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Around Thanksgiving the year I was a senior in high school, my parents went to a hypnosis session to quit smoking. Within just a few days mom was smoking in the basement in the laundry room and when dad questioned her, she blamed me. At Christmas at grandma's house mom was smoking but put the ashtray between us to make it look as though it was mine. Pretty much everyone in the family smoked. In another few days she didn't bother to hide her smoking any more.

Dad never smoked again. He started keeping a toothpick in his mouth that he would chew on and then would tuck it between his teeth and cheek. He had a stash of toothpicks in his coat pockets and in his truck and any time he was in a restaurant where they had a toothpick dispenser he was grabbing some.

At that point I thought that hypnosis, at least for smoking cessation, must have to work for some and not for others.

Fast-forward some forty years and dad's lady friend let me know that dad didn't ever smoke again because he couldn't stand the thought that he threw money away on hypnosis that didn't work. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2017, 01:28 PM
(19-04-2017 11:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 09:46 AM)julep Wrote:  ...
I tried to learn self-hypnosis, not sure if it ever really worked.

How would you be able to tell?

Consider

Wink

I'd have permanently lost my desire for peanut butter cups.

Either it didn't take or I'm still waiting for the delayed suggestion to kick in...approximately 25 years later. Big Grin
19-04-2017, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2017 02:13 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(19-04-2017 11:43 AM)bemore Wrote:  Hypnosis is just suggestion. The skill comes from crafting the right words and tailoring them in the correct manner.

If a person is willing, cooperative, obedient and not under the influence of drink/drugs then they will easily be hypnotised. The more resistant people can be brought under through different techniques and correct rapport building.

The more we learn about the brain, the more easier hypnotism will becomee to understand/explain.

I personally consider dreaming a kind of self-hypnosis, since the critical-thinking part of our brain shuts off when we sleep. Add some random brain activation during REM, and we think we are acting in the real world. After that we can confabulate or rationalize anything.

Dreaming and hypnosis are both likely based on our waking-world perceptual habits.
19-04-2017, 09:14 PM
No. Always sounded like pseudo bullshit to me.

[Image: oscar.png]
19-04-2017, 10:17 PM
In my career as a Clinical Psychologist I did hypnosis. It is real. Lotta theories.

However I didn't do a lot of it, usually had a better way to achieve goals. Often I used suggestion without doing the formal trance induction.

And yes, it is likely that skeptics would be less suggestible and more resistant to hypnosis.

Over the decades (did my first hypnotic induction in 1963) I have used it most on myself.
[+] 2 users Like psybj's post
20-04-2017, 06:08 PM
(19-04-2017 11:43 AM)bemore Wrote:  Hypnosis is just suggestion. The skill comes from crafting the right words and tailoring them in the correct manner.

In University I did some hypnosis trials. I was a poor subject, even though I genuinely wanted to be hypnotized. I simply couldn't formulate the illusions that were suggested to me, in any solid manner.

Most people are not good subjects. Based on the stage hypnotists I've seen, perhaps 25% of people can be worked on well.
[+] 1 user Likes Happy Skeptic's post