Have you ever been to Paris?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Have you ever been to Paris?
I just noticed on google that the Eifel tower was opend today 126 years ago.

Have you ever been to Paris and have you seen it or been on top of it?

I was in 2002 with my parents on a family vacation and visited Paris later on my own in 2008. Dont like the city to much, it lost all it`s cultural flair during the 1990s and now is nothing more than a gloryfied tourist trap and and open air museum where you can see how the rich live in France.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Have you ever been to Paris?
Nah, my mother's ancestors left France in the 1600s. I have no real desire to visit. Smile
30-03-2015, 06:33 PM
It's just a relatively convenient train ride from here, so yup.

What happened in the 1990s that killed the flair in your opinion?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
30-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I was in Europe in 1965 or 1966 and visited Paris. I was too young to appreciate the art, and I found the people unfriendly. I lived in Spain from late 1999 to early 2001 and kept thinking of visiting Paris again, to see the museums, but never got around to it.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
30-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I was there in the late 60s - found the people unfriendly and everything too expensive. Nice architecture.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2015, 07:24 PM
I was there for several months with my family when I was 14. Too young to appreciate it but I was impressed with their sense of style. Loved all the clothing shops, the bon bons and fantastic breads. We went to the Louvre several times which I found, at 14, to be the most boring thing in the world. The Mona Lisa was ho-hum. (Sorry, but I still think it's ho-hum.)

I was just a kid and I'm female but I found French women to be.......what's the word......oh!..ugly!

Yes, as everyone has mentioned, the people are rather chilly.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-03-2015, 08:06 PM
(30-03-2015 06:16 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I just noticed on google that the Eifel tower was opend today 126 years ago.

Have you ever been to Paris and have you seen it or been on top of it?

Yes. I got my head stuck between one of the bars. No joke. Got my 6-year old head out; somehow.

(30-03-2015 06:16 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I was in 2002 with my parents on a family vacation and visited Paris later on my own in 2008. Dont like the city to much, it lost all it`s cultural flair during the 1990s and now is nothing more than a gloryfied tourist trap and and open air museum where you can see how the rich live in France.

Only one tip. Never speak English to a French person who lives in Paris; they'll give you a look of utter hatred and mumble to themselves afterwards "When in Rome(Paris) do as the Romans (Frenchmen) do".

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-03-2015, 08:16 PM
I was there for a week this past summer and as luck would have it we were there on Bastille Day, which was outrageous! Fireworks blasting out of the Eiffel Tower and over the river, it was quite remarkable. The parade was fun and I actually saw the president of the country.

I enjoyed myself but found no need to return. Loved the Louvre and Rodin's museum was awesome. Also, went to the Dali museum in Montmarte, which was special to us because we live 10 minutes from the Dali museum in Florida and have been there numerous times. We also saw Versailles, which was sick. Too decadent for even modern times, much less back then.

I enjoyed the food the most. But I won't go back.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Yup. I dossed there for a while.

Climbed the tower... walked up the stairs and down to help combat my fear of heights.

30-03-2015, 08:35 PM
(30-03-2015 06:33 PM)Alex K Wrote:  It's just a relatively convenient train ride from here, so yup.

What happened in the 1990s that killed the flair in your opinion?

Almoust every city goes through the same endless social circle.

Once it has cultural flair - people move into it.

Through that prices and living costs rise.

Through that the city becomes less attractive and people leave.

As a consequence of that living costs sink and crime rises.

And because of that young people, culture and a exciting atmosphere return.

Cities like New York, London, Paris, Los Angeles and Moscow are currently at the ass end of that circle where living costs rise and people are about to leave leave.

Manchester, Prag, St Petersburg, Athens, Barcelona and Boston are currently on the other end of that circle or drifting into it.

I read extensively about this in a study a while ago. Interestingly enought through some weird coincidences Berlin has been imune to this and has kept it`s unique flair for more than 50 years.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]