Have you ever been to Paris?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: Have you ever been to Paris?
Went back in 1990 with my girlfriend (now wife) while we were poor graduate students and made meals out of the wonderful bread and cheese and stayed in horrible hotels. The people were not friendly, maybe somewhat detatched... I could see how some people would call it rude. I wouldn't mind going again now that we are in a different economic situation, but wife hated it and has no desire to go back. It's funny, we got the impression that the French really hated it when we butchered their language, but when you got to Montreal of Quebec City, the locals are really appreciative when you try to speak to them in French.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 09:51 AM
I've been to Paris but never went up tower.

I love that city.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
31-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I've been to Paris, Maine; also China, Maine and Rome, New York and Lebanon, New Hampshire and Berlin, Massachusetts. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2015, 12:24 PM
(30-03-2015 08:06 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Only one tip. Never speak English to a French person who lives in Paris; they'll give you a look of utter hatred and mumble to themselves afterwards "When in Rome(Paris) do as the Romans (Frenchmen) do".

When I was there (1960's) I spoke a little bit of French, and that's all I spoke with the locals. But my French was not good, and I had to look up words. I was treated terribly. The impression I got was that to be treated well you had to speak proper French.

I have heard it said that the Quebecois and the European French dislike each other for speaking French "wrong."

OTOH, it seems that in the Spanish-speaking countries if you have six words of badly-pronounced Spanish and you make an effort to use them, the people love you for making an effort. I've been to Mexico, Spain, Costa Rica, and Bonaire (where the locals speak Spanish as their third language, after their local language and Dutch. In all of these places, anybody who speaks a bit of Spanish and makes an effort is treated well.

The only place I was treated worse than France was Germany. (Again, this was mid-1960's. Everyone was unfriendly and one guy in a store offered to beat up my friend for being an American. We got out without violence, but it was scary. I'm embarrassed to say I was prejudiced against Germans for many years after that, until I met a Canadian-German family who are wonderful people.)

My step-sister has been to France recently and says they are very friendly. She loves it. My days of going to Europe might be over, because of the long flights and airport layovers, but if I do find myself going back, I'd like to see the museums again, now that I'd be able to appreciate them.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
31-03-2015, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2015 12:37 PM by Alex K.)
Whut, you were almost beaten up in Germany for being American, in the 60s? Where was that! Was someone blaming you for Vietnam or what? Rabid beatles fans who didn't like Elvis?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
31-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I've been to Paris a few times. I went to see the tower but never bothered going up. It's a beautiful city and I always enjoy my visits. I agree that Parisians are arrogant fucks and many French people who live outside Paris would be of the same opinion.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
01-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Once again I'll say that Parisians and the French in general are not arrogant. You will find arrogant people there like you will anywhere.
When I first left The Rock I was an arrogant fuck because nothing or no one measured up to the Newfoundland way. That was before I was reasonably self aware.
Foreigners often judge the cultures they visit without even realizing it and the native population generally picks up on this.
Then we walk away thinking "arrogant fucks" without examining what might have actually happened.
I personally found the French to be proud in general and reasonably kind. But I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian. Most people seem to like us for reasons that escape me.
01-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Of my friends that have gone they've all said it's really dirty.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.