Have you ever de-converted anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 11:59 AM
RE: Have you ever de-converted anyone?
she teaches us about it but idk my pastor says it s not true but i thought god created evolution as well
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 01:28 PM
(17-03-2014 11:59 AM)seroasha Wrote:  she teaches us about it but idk my pastor says it s not true but i thought god created evolution as well

Oh well. Moving in the right direction at least.
17-03-2014, 01:32 PM
(17-03-2014 11:59 AM)seroasha Wrote:  she teaches us about it but idk my pastor says it s not true but i thought god created evolution as well

You wouldn't be alone in thinking that.

It's only a very small minority who stick to the old theory of creation.

But many, many ancient cultures have created different creation myths. The bible stories are just one ancient version.

We all know so much more than we did then so slowly, everyone is catching on. Your pastor has the disadvantage that he/she left school a long time ago.

Of course, there are some people who still think the sun revolves around the earth. They like the idea of being the centre of the universe.

Your pastor is falling into the same trap.

It's easily done.

The problem is that your pastor starts with a conclusion and finds evidence to support that conclusion.

Your science teacher looks at the evidence to reach whichever conclusion best fits the evidence.

This is why scientific theories change (as we find more evidence) but your pastor's theories won't change.

Your pastor might give you comfort but your science teacher will give you truth.

17-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Duplicate post due to time out error 522

17-03-2014, 02:04 PM
i didnt know that yes my pastor does not like evolutionn for some reason
17-03-2014, 03:52 PM
(17-03-2014 02:04 PM)seroasha Wrote:  i didnt know that yes my pastor does not like evolutionn for some reason

Because it challenges their long held assumptions and people don't like thinking they might be wrong about something. At least you acknowledge that you don't know and that is the first step to developing an inquiring mind.
17-03-2014, 10:59 PM
(17-03-2014 02:04 PM)seroasha Wrote:  i didnt know that yes my pastor does not like evolutionn for some reason

[Image: 870280.gif]

Laugh out load

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-03-2014, 12:19 AM
(17-03-2014 10:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

[Image: 870280.gif]

Laugh out load

Epic Ban Hammer FTW !!

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
18-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I have never had it confirmed that I have de-converted anyone, however I like to think that i helped encourage my sister to become an atheist. My dad is agnostic I think but he loves to donate to the Salvation Army so I am trying my best to encourage him to give to better charities than religious ones.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
18-03-2014, 12:35 PM
sort of. My ex-husband. He was an agnostic protestant, and he heard me listening to The God Delusion and asked to let him listen from the beginning. I was able to answer his questions about religion. Recently I talked to him and he has become a full-fledged atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post