Have you ever gone on a religious fast?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 09:53 PM
RE: Have you ever gone on a religious fast?
I've run away from religion fast....does that count?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-09-2015, 10:14 PM
For religious purposes, no. I still do it fairly regularly for what you might call psychological conditioning, though.

'Murican Canadian
14-09-2015, 11:36 PM
I've never cared for religon so much to resign from food even if only for a day.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-09-2015, 12:47 AM
(14-09-2015 06:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, I did.
Fasting lasts for 24 hours.
Money that I would spend on my meals are donated to those who are in need. It calls fast offering. I am glad I can help someone, I can feel Spirit while I fast and prayers are answered.
P.S. Fasting without a prayer is not fasting but diet.

What about fasting to get blood test? Is that not fasting because it's not a diet.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-09-2015, 12:48 AM
I observed a few fast days back when I was a kid and my mother was trying to raise me Jewish. (I was about 12, so no issues of starving some poor 3-year-old kid or anything like that.)

.... she was (and is) an atheist.

.... but a Jewish atheist.

.... so it was more a cultural fast than a religious fast, but it was for the specific holy-days, so maybe it was still a religious fast?

Look, the point is that the line between religion and culture in Judaism is complicated, and culturally-observant Jewish atheist mothers are more so.

All the fasts were sundown to sundown, but that meant a big early dinner one day and a big late dinner the next, so I basically pigged out in the evening and skipped breakfast and lunch, which wasn't uncommon for me in that time of my life anyway.

Bottom line of the experience is that it... felt a bit like a dare or a challenge to myself. Like going underwater in a pool and seeing how long you can hold your breath. I kept at it out of stubbornness rather than any real interest in the holiday, tradition, religion, or god. It wasn't particularly enlightening or spiritually expansive. After a few holidays I got bored with the whole thing and stopped stopping eating, and that was that.

(14-09-2015 06:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was growing up, my Dad wouldn't let us eat anything in the morning before church. I dunno if it was a Catholic thing, but basically the idea was to not have anything in your stomach prior to Communion. I think it was viewed as a sign of respect to Jesus. So in a sense, that was a form of fasting.

Aha! Transubstantiation! THAT'S why a first-century Galilean Jew keeps getting depicted as whiter than a Nordic winter! It's the Catholics' fault! They're why the dude's turned into a cracker!
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
15-09-2015, 03:48 AM
yes, I have gone on a fast in the name of the almighty junk food establishments Drooling

basically I skipped breakfast and lunch because I wanted to see how much junk food I could stuff down my throat on an empty stomach in the middle of the night Yes
15-09-2015, 04:02 AM
(15-09-2015 03:48 AM)Ace Wrote:  yes, I have gone on a fast in the name of the almighty junk food establishments Drooling

basically I skipped breakfast and lunch because I wanted to see how much junk food I could stuff down my throat on an empty stomach in the middle of the night Yes

That sounds mildly unhealthy... Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-09-2015, 04:24 AM
(14-09-2015 07:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 06:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was growing up, my Dad wouldn't let us eat anything in the morning before church. I dunno if it was a Catholic thing, but basically the idea was to not have anything in your stomach prior to Communion. I think it was viewed as a sign of respect to Jesus. So in a sense, that was a form of fasting.

Definitely a Catholic thing. We weren't allowed to eat anything (water only) prior to going to mass and communion. Wasn't a big deal when I got older but as a young kid, it was awful, especially if we were to attend a later mass.

So what you are telling us is that Catholics are in favour of withholding food from children.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-09-2015, 04:39 AM
(15-09-2015 04:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 07:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Definitely a Catholic thing. We weren't allowed to eat anything (water only) prior to going to mass and communion. Wasn't a big deal when I got older but as a young kid, it was awful, especially if we were to attend a later mass.

So what you are telling us is that Catholics are in favour of withholding food from children.

That are also pro-kid fucking.

What?

You were all thinking it! Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-09-2015, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 06:51 AM by TheInquisition.)
I fasted once when I was in my early teens, I only ate a small serving of green beans in the middle of the day and only water to drink.

I noticed a couple of things when I did it:

1. It sucked!

2. It yielded zero discernible benefit.

Reading the title of the thread, I thought it could have meant a fast FROM religion.

Yeah, I've been doing that for the last 28 years, I noticed a couple of things:

1.It doesn't suck!

2.My Sundays are a lot more enjoyable now. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post