Have you ever gone on a religious fast?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 06:22 AM
RE: Have you ever gone on a religious fast?
Looks like jeebus felt really honored by this man's self sacrifice . . . .

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/ma.../61854.htm

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2015, 06:36 AM
(14-09-2015 07:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 06:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was growing up, my Dad wouldn't let us eat anything in the morning before church. I dunno if it was a Catholic thing, but basically the idea was to not have anything in your stomach prior to Communion. I think it was viewed as a sign of respect to Jesus. So in a sense, that was a form of fasting.

Definitely a Catholic thing. We weren't allowed to eat anything (water only) prior to going to mass and communion. Wasn't a big deal when I got older but as a young kid, it was awful, especially if we were to attend a later mass.

I was dragged to Catholic mass as a kid and never heard anything about not eating before communion. I don't doubt that some dioceses did that but it wasn't universal.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
15-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Fasting doesn't suck so much once you get used to it. The human body didn't evolve to eat three balanced meals per day. The desire to do that is cultural conditioning, not biological. Most of the time we get hungry because we're coming up on a time or situation we're used to eating, so our physiology responds accordingly. If you've never done it before, you're going to feel pretty hungry when it's time to eat. Once you accept that you're not eating and move your mind onto something else however, your body usually just stops bothering you with its hunger signals.

That said, I find most of the frequently quoted spiritual and/or health benefits to be more or less bullshit. I do it primarily for two reasons. Longer fasts I do for psychological conditioning, just because I want to maintain the habit of being able to go about my day to day business without constantly eating since it's inevitable that I will occasionally encounter situations where I have to whether I want to or not. When it counts, I want the hunger distraction to not be something new. The second reason is because I prefer to work out in a fasted state. If I don't, it limits the intensity I can exhibit without everything coming back up. If for whatever reason I don't get a chance to work out until the evening, I won't eat until the evening. There are also theoretical metabolic benefits in regards to maximizing gains by properly manipulating the timing of the breaking of your fast, your workout, and your recovery meal. And when I say metabolic benefits, I'm talking about maximizing gains. If someone's sole purpose is to eat as much as they can and still lose weight, then the metabolic benefits would instead be metabolic detriments. I wouldn't go so far as to say these benefits have been proven. In fact most nutritional science is sketchy at best, being a faily new science, and one whose proposed solutions have proven to be largely unsuccessful in accomplishing their goals. But it seems to work for me.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-09-2015, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 07:13 AM by DLJ.)
When I was maybe 10, I gave up Lent for Lent. Does that count?

But I think it was before then that I got into the habit of only having one meal per day.

9pm here and I've just had breakfast ... fast broken. Geddit? Never mind.

Blush

Oh and I'm considering fasting for Ramadan next year.

But not for religious reasons, obviously, but just to experience what my colleagues are experiencing.

Also because I got serious flak by upsetting half the team this year by bringing in chocolate cake for the non-Muslim half.

15-09-2015, 07:22 AM
(15-09-2015 12:48 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
Aha! Transubstantiation! THAT'S why a first-century Galilean Jew keeps getting depicted as whiter than a Nordic winter! It's the Catholics' fault! They're why the dude's turned into a cracker!

Nope.

It's cos they've sucked out all of his blood.

He's not white, he's anaemic!

Ohmy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-09-2015, 07:32 AM
I only fast when ordered to for reasons like blood work or anesthesia. I avoid fasting in other circumstances because when I get very stressed, if I stop eating it's very hard to start again. 85 pounds is not a good look on me.
15-09-2015, 08:05 AM
(15-09-2015 07:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 12:48 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
Aha! Transubstantiation! THAT'S why a first-century Galilean Jew keeps getting depicted as whiter than a Nordic winter! It's the Catholics' fault! They're why the dude's turned into a cracker!

Nope.

Ohmy

Well at least he's not wining about it.
15-09-2015, 08:07 AM
(15-09-2015 08:05 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 07:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nope.

Ohmy

Well at least he's not wining about it.

There ... did ... saw it.

Big Grin

15-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Once I walked in on some kind of gathering full of religious people , I was out of there sooo fast.

Does that count?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
17-09-2015, 11:10 AM
No. I've never been led to have one.

Zoebion has had several, though... I believe... if I recall correctly.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]