Have you ever had a drawn out conversation with yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Have you ever had a drawn out conversation with yourself?
Almost every night while I'm lying awake in bed, I have very drawn out and detailed debates with myself. Neither side of this conversation supports a particular world view, these are just back and forth's I have. Here's a quick sampling of what a normal conversation with myself goes like:

Does life have a purpose?
Everything has a purpose.
Do I really think everything has a purpose, or do I just want everything to have a purpose?
Both.

Does everything have a purpose, or do I just want my life to have a purpose?

Why do you care whether or not your life has purpose?

Is life worth living without purpose?
If there is no purpose to life, and life is not worth living without a purpose, is continuing to live equivalent to lying to yourself?

Life is worth living, even without a purpose.
Why is life worth living without a purpose?

Life is all there is for me, there is nothing after.
How do you know there is nothing after?
The alternatives presented are not convincing enough.
It doesn't matter how convincing they are if they end up to be correct.

There is no God.
How do you know there is no God?
Because I've analyzed the arguments for the existence of God, and found them lacking.
Does another human's inability to prove God correlate to God not existing?
God is a construct of human imagination, as is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
If you are truly convinced that God is the same as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, why is it you stay up at night wondering about God, and not the Spaghetti Monster?

What if there is a God?
You want there to be a God.
I still don't think there is a God.
You would still rather there be a God than not be a God.
Considering the terrible events that have occurred throughout history, I would not want there to be a God if that God allowed such atrocities to happen.
Is that really true?

I have a good handle on reality.
In comparison to what the universe has to offer, you know absolutely nothing.
That's not the case, I have a solid grasp around what is and is not real in the world around me.
The world around you is insignificant.
The world around me is all that I, and the rest of the human race, know.
Humans are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Humans are the most significant creature on this planet.
For one, this planet is insignificant. Secondly, humans overestimate their own significance. Of course humans consider themselves more significant than other races, but how can you objectify significance?

Humans are the most intelligent creatures on this planet.
By what standard to you gauge intelligence? While we may be technologically superior to other races, I've yet to see animals slaughter each other by the thousands over their ideals.

Compared to the age of the Earth, let alone the universe, humans haven't existed long enough to be of any real significance.
Nor will we ever truly be of any real significance.

And all my friends tell me to see a therapist. Ha! Why bother when I can post on an internet forum?

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Michael's post
07-04-2011, 11:54 PM
RE: Have you ever had a drawn out conversation with yourself?
I often have arguments with myself. Or more I have arguments with my parents inside my head. Often the arguments I have inside my head parallel the ridiculous nature of real conversations with my parents xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-04-2011, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 12:12 AM by Observer.)
Do you post these thoughts to share them and get other viewpoints on the questions, or do you only want to know whether there are more people like you who have debates with themselves?

The last question...
Yes!
He's writing this post now...
Even worse...
He does it aloud!
For my job I spend lots of lonely hours in my car. Often I start debating virtual theists, politicians or philosophers. It always starts in my mind but once I reach conclusions I speak them out loud. (I hope the guy in the car next to me thinks I having a hands-free phone-call Undecided)
I often wonder weather this is normal. I just assume it is my social mechanism trying to prevent drying out in sort of reflex, like blinking with your eye.

I think this is what theists call "getting answers from God". Big Grin

Recently, ever since I am on this forum, it's gotten more confusing. Some theological and philosophical concepts I only know names for in English. Sometimes I confuse myself in swapping between English, Dutch, and some sort of hybrid Anglo-saxian infected Dutch. Confused

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I share the questions in an attempt to give others a look into my head.

The focus of this thread was not to discuss the questions themselves, but I'd be more than happy to discuss some of them if people are interested.

Mostly I was interested in knowing if anyone else had long winded debates with themselves.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
08-04-2011, 12:14 AM
(08-04-2011 12:07 AM)Michael Wrote:  Mostly I was interested in knowing if anyone else had long winded debates with themselves.
I am glad someone dared to ask this. I myself was to embarrassed Undecided

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
The concept of shame eludes me.

Anonymity is also a useful trait to have while pouring out your soul on the internet. Not that I'm very good at it.

08-04-2011, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 09:33 AM by Observer.)
(08-04-2011 12:16 AM)Michael Wrote:  The concept of shame eludes me.
Good point! There are no rational reasons to be ashamed...

Perhaps I'm too embarrassed for my discussion partner.
Oh wait... that'll be me too... ConfusedConfused

Big GrinBig Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
I always debate with myself. I also debate virtual theists/my parents. My wife has caught my lips moving when I am in deep thought so that can be kind of awkward, but I have learned that it helps me to flesh out my opinions and helps organize my thoughts. Who cares if I look like a crazy idiot walking down the street...that just keeps the real crazies from talking to me. Smile

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I find 'debating' with yourself is a great way to find out if you have met your own burden of proof. Would you be convinced by the evidence you are presenting for something if you were to be skeptical about it when someone else makes the same claim?
Attacking both positions is a good way, I find, of being skeptical.
(08-04-2011 07:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fossil Finder [signature]

Does that mean you're a paleontologist, or just an enthusiast?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-04-2011, 09:09 PM
I have these discussions with myself when I read Dawkins books. Every time I learn something new, I debate the theist troll in the back of my head (he's got the voice of the banana man). I do this quite involuntarily and it is a nuisance to my reading, but it really helps when I stumble into debates IRL. Practice makes perfect. Tongue

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post