Have you ever had a drawn out conversation with yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2011, 03:10 AM
RE: Have you ever had a drawn out conversation with yourself?
Yeah, I have debates with myself. Sometimes i'm thinking about stuff that I want to say in response to something. Occasionally I think of something funny and I burst out laughing. Then I realise where I am and I hope noone is around.. Blush

I hope i'm not crazy..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Anyone who calls you crazy is just jealous that they don't have an invisible leprechaun in their closet that tells them to burn things.

Wait what?

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
09-04-2011, 04:32 AM
(09-04-2011 03:10 AM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  Occasionally I think of something funny and I burst out laughing.
I AM not alone!

Finally I found you guys. where have you been all this time.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I rant to myself if I have nobody to rant to after I hear a particularly infuriating/surprising/idiotic argument from a theist, whether it's from a debate I'm watching or something I read in the news or on the forum. It tends to be a one-sided argument though 'cause I really can't come up with good arguments from the theist side Undecided

On the other hand, I do sometimes debate with myself if I hear something interesting from the theist side and I want to test out its validity. It usually always ends up getting to the point that the only position to take is that there is the possibility of a deist god who started the big bang, but that since it must necessarily exist outside of our universe to do that, then it has no influence on our universe, and really, we can't tell for sure that there are other universes other than our own until we have enough evidence, which we don't at the moment, so there's no point postulating that there are more... and so on.

If I know I'm alone, I'll sometimes talk aloud, although sometimes I start doing that without realising I'm doing it Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
09-04-2011, 12:11 PM
(08-04-2011 04:04 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  I find 'debating' with yourself is a great way to find out if you have met your own burden of proof. Would you be convinced by the evidence you are presenting for something if you were to be skeptical about it when someone else makes the same claim?
Attacking both positions is a good way, I find, of being skeptical.
(08-04-2011 07:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fossil Finder [signature]

Does that mean you're a paleontologist, or just an enthusiast?

I am an aspiring paleontologist. Working on my masters now doing research using fossils.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-04-2011, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2011 05:28 PM by daemonowner.)
(08-04-2011 09:09 PM)Norseman Wrote:  (he's got the voice of the banana man).

Epic.

(08-04-2011 09:09 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I do this quite involuntarily and it is a nuisance to my reading, but it really helps when I stumble into debates IRL. Practice makes perfect. Tongue

I've noticed that with myself. I can hardly even focus because I keep being sidetracked wondering if the claim is accurate or the argument flawed or whatever else.
(09-04-2011 12:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I am an aspiring paleontologist. Working on my masters now doing research using fossils.

Awesome. I'm thinking of becoming a paleontologist, I'm interested in zoology and evolutionary biology so it isn't out of the question I don't think.. It is a bit of a problem, though, being in New Zealand and all. There aren't many univerisities that do proper paleontology courses... =[

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
10-04-2011, 06:14 AM
(09-04-2011 05:24 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  
(08-04-2011 09:09 PM)Norseman Wrote:  (he's got the voice of the banana man).

Epic.

(08-04-2011 09:09 PM)Norseman Wrote:  I do this quite involuntarily and it is a nuisance to my reading, but it really helps when I stumble into debates IRL. Practice makes perfect. Tongue

I've noticed that with myself. I can hardly even focus because I keep being sidetracked wondering if the claim is accurate or the argument flawed or whatever else.
(09-04-2011 12:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I am an aspiring paleontologist. Working on my masters now doing research using fossils.

Awesome. I'm thinking of becoming a paleontologist, I'm interested in zoology and evolutionary biology so it isn't out of the question I don't think.. It is a bit of a problem, though, being in New Zealand and all. There aren't many univerisities that do proper paleontology courses... =[

One of the professors here is a kiwi! He is not a paleo person though. I believe he did at least one of his degrees in Australia. I am sure you could hop the ocean and find one with a great program. If nothing else get a BS in zoology and find a grad school that offers paleo, just take some geology courses while in undergrad so you are not behind.

[/quote]

One of the professors here is a kiwi! He is not a paleo person though. I believe he did at least one of his degrees in Australia. I am sure you could hop the ocean and find one with a great program. If nothing else get a BS in zoology and find a grad school that offers paleo, just take some geology courses while in undergrad so you are not behind.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Ha! I do this a lot when I'm alone. One side of the discussion is in my head and the other is verbal. It's often related to theism - mostly because it's better to have some of these 'discussions' by myself and vent some frustration then discuss things with some of the people around me. Not sure if it's particularly healthy or not, some of this stuff should really get out - but the internet helps that too. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-04-2011, 02:58 AM
...I wonder if it's common place to debate yourself in the shower... =P

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
24-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I tend to have heated debates with myself. My more irrational part of me, that part that uses whatever argument available, logical or not, to prove that I am indubitable right often gets attacked by my more rational, objective side. It's my idealism and realism hashing it out(realism wins 10/10 times, but sometimes I have to mope around for a few days to accept it). And I think it's healthy, just a vivid way to test out arguments and see if they hold water. Maybe not normal, but normal people tend not to like to be wrong, no matter the consequences.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!