Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??
I'm having this situation and its hard because this person is in my social circles. We barely know each other but she always give me stink eye and tries to make me feel like I'm a creep or a weirdo (which I am not). She is very religious so I feel pretty sure that this is the crux of it. How do you deal with this? I feel anxiety about it and I'm not sure why.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 04:43 PM
RE: Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??
Fuck her. Or go out of your way to get to know her so you can show her you're not the devil.

I've experienced this too. A coworker of mine who recently retired ( thank FSM) went off on me once because I said I respected Buddhist monks for being able to live on so little, in contrast to preachers who abuse church funds while others in their community go hungry. She slammed her fist on the table in the break room and shouted "But they're WRONG!" And stormed out, then proceeded to work to turn our other coworkers against me. Yeah, that really happened. I had a hard time believing it myself.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
21-10-2013, 04:53 PM
RE: Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??
LOL, thats how I feel most of the time - 'fuck her!'. Its the stupid little anxious part of me that lets it get to me. Its hard to believe, like in the situation that happened to you, that people can be such outright ignorant assholes
[+] 1 user Likes FICKLEish's post
21-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes. Although I'm not entirely sure. I used to be close friends with someone -- we're talking since 3rd grade.

We had always kept in touch and were good friends. She was a bride's maid in my wedding.

One day, we're on the phone, and I questioned the 10 commandments...she brought it up and I can't recall the context.

But. I remember saying something about how they tell you how to worship god, the others are about thoughts you may or might not have, and only a couple are real rules...and one of those is incredibly vague.

She was laughing and said she'd thought about it that way.

The only thing I can think is that she must have told her husband (who I thought was normal guy) because after that I never heard from her again. She refused to take my calls.....

Just never heard from her again.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

21-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm lucky to live in a place where nobody gives a flying fuck about what you believe in, at least when it comes to theology.
So I never had that experience, but I would go with "fuck her" approach. Trying to convince her that you are a good person will just mean, in her eyes, that she is right in claiming the high moral ground on you.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Of course. It's a common reaction by theists who come to forums I use.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
21-10-2013, 10:05 PM
My social life at school was destroyed when I first realized it and came out XD.

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
21-10-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 10:52 PM by sporehux.)
No But they love to tell me God is real because the bible says so, and the bible is true because
Them: God says so, faith faith yadda yadda, personal relationship, someone they know close was healed beyond the doctors explanation (never a regrown limb mind you), their church is so generous, the world is so amazing and incomprehensible evolution make no sense to them.
, Oh !! your just too prideful and arrogant to accept the lord. Consider

Me: Wana get drunk tonight,
Them:Shit yeah !
Me: my place you can crash on the godless lounge,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Nope. Or if they did I didn't notice. Drinking Beverage

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh, sure. That's why I ignore religious talk as best I can and only come out to people I think can handle it. I don't really care whether anyone knows I am an atheist or not. If they ask, or keep trying to drag me to church, then I tell them whether I think they can handle it or not.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man