Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??
I've had someone physically recoil and walk away looking very nervous. It wasn't someone I knew very well, just a social acquaintance but she started talking about being blessed by god and asked what blessings god had given me lately. When I responded "None, I don't believe in god" she shot me a look like I had just beaten her grandmother and walked away.

I've had other instances of people accusing me of being an immoral heathen and whatnot, but that one stood out the most. For the most part, I just ignore those people and hope they'll ignore me. It's par for the course out here in "god's country".

Granted, most of my religious friends are ok with my atheism. To them it's the same as being a liberal or a conservative. We disagree on some fundamental things, but we can still enjoy the things we have in common that have nothing to do with politics or religion.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
22-10-2013, 01:19 PM
RE: Have you ever had anyone dislike you just because they heard you're an atheist??
The people that are important to me don't care. Doesn't matter what their level of belief or non-belief happens to be. We accept that religion, or lack thereof, is only a part of what makes us who we are. We are able to agree to disagree on that topic because we base our care for each other on who we are as people. Those that would be an issue, I left behind a long time ago.

Now and then my husband throws out a remark or two about 'my atheist friends' but I don't put any thought to it. Except for weddings and deadings, he hasn't been in a church in the over 20 years we have known each other. And I have never seen him open a Bible. So, if he decides he wants to climb onto some religious high horse I just roll my eyes. We both know he can't win an argument with me regardless of the topic so he doesn't push it and I don't either.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Two years ago, I had lunch with two close friends. I was among the lines of agnostic/not believing in anything. My female friend went to church, but she actually didn't believe in anything. My male friend was a Christian. One day at lunch, out of the clear blue, he asked me if I believed in God- not the possibility of one, but HIS God. I responded no, and needless to say, he ignored me for months. We sat at lunch together ever day with my female friend in between us, and he continued to not say a word to me. I actually don't think he spoke to me again until the following school year. Wasn't anything but a hello in the hallway, but now we don't speak anymore.

Forget her. If she's too narrow-minded to accept you, regardless of your beliefs, she isn't worth your time. Enjoy your time with the other friends in your circle, and pay no mind to her. That will benefit you most in this situation.
22-10-2013, 01:35 PM
The younger sister of an old friend looked at me in horror when I told her I didn't believe in any gods.

Ah, well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2013, 01:36 PM
(22-10-2013 01:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  The younger sister of an old friend looked at me in horror when I told her I didn't believe in any gods.

Ah, well.

Well, well, look at who has over 15,000 posts....Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-10-2013, 01:37 PM
(22-10-2013 01:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 01:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  The younger sister of an old friend looked at me in horror when I told her I didn't believe in any gods.

Ah, well.

Well, well, look at who has over 15,000 posts....Big Grin

He's gabby like that. Glad to see you Chas. Heart

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
22-10-2013, 01:47 PM
How would I know if someone dislikes me because of my atheism? I'm usually oblivious to whether someone wants to bang me or hang me.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-10-2013, 01:53 PM
(22-10-2013 01:34 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Two years ago, I had lunch with two close friends. I was among the lines of agnostic/not believing in anything. My female friend went to church, but she actually didn't believe in anything. My male friend was a Christian. One day at lunch, out of the clear blue, he asked me if I believed in God- not the possibility of one, but HIS God. I responded no, and needless to say, he ignored me for months. We sat at lunch together ever day with my female friend in between us, and he continued to not say a word to me. I actually don't think he spoke to me again until the following school year. Wasn't anything but a hello in the hallway, but now we don't speak anymore.
Ferdy's lunch with friends

Laughat

Just kidding, just kidding, carry on...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
22-10-2013, 02:02 PM
(22-10-2013 01:53 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 01:34 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Two years ago, I had lunch with two close friends. I was among the lines of agnostic/not believing in anything. My female friend went to church, but she actually didn't believe in anything. My male friend was a Christian. One day at lunch, out of the clear blue, he asked me if I believed in God- not the possibility of one, but HIS God. I responded no, and needless to say, he ignored me for months. We sat at lunch together ever day with my female friend in between us, and he continued to not say a word to me. I actually don't think he spoke to me again until the following school year. Wasn't anything but a hello in the hallway, but now we don't speak anymore.
Ferdy's lunch with friends

Laughat

Just kidding, just kidding, carry on...

But it's true. Sadcryface
25-10-2013, 12:38 PM
(21-10-2013 04:43 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Fuck her.

So I read the OP and I jokingly thought to myself, "just make love to her". Then I saw Ohio Sky's response and I nearly died of laughter. I know he meant fuck her in a different way but the ambiguity was so sweet! Hahahahahahaha

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."