Have you ever refuted the work of a "scholar"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: Have you ever refuted the work of a "scholar"?
I'm raising this thread from the dead because the scholar mentioned in the OP recently published an article where he includes the same flawed research that jumps to conclusions, consistently gets historical dates wrong, and underhandedly manufactures evidence. I refuted many of the author's claims from a 2006 book in the first half of a lengthy two part article. He knows about my refutation, but has remained strangely silent over the years.

As I stated before, it's annoying that no one is willing to fact check him just because he has an advanced degree. I studied Chinese for three years before I switched to anthropology (my focus being primate behavior and evolution). He has an MA in Chinese and has taught the language for decades. But I can't find anything to indicate that he has formal training or experience in historical research. I haven't had any formal training in the subject either, but I've been doing research for a decade. I think I do a pretty good job.

It’s usually a red flag when someone enters a well-researched subject and starts making discoveries that past scholars have missed. Yes, it’s possible that they are using new methods or sources. But that is why it’s important to review bold new claims to see if there is any validity to them. One way to do this is to check the cited sources, and this is how I found the scholar manufactured evidence.

I guess the takeaway message here is that a degree doesn't equal a free ride. Everyone is susceptible to fact-checking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply